Old 07-02-2007, 02:58 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
New Argosy arrival

This will be our Rally & weekend trailer.
I am looking forward to the lighter tow load.

This '77 24' has a super clean interior. All original & everything is working.
New paint is in the future.

The debate over what color now begins.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Argosy~ArrivesHome~073007.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	40396  

empresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:01 PM   #2
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Looks nice - congratulations!

Old 07-02-2007, 03:10 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
me too

I have a '76 and have been really impressed with how well everything works after 30 years. Mine is original too. Mine is a dinette front with a double in the middle. We're still thinking about paint but after some in-the-sun hot weather camping, we're pretty sure that we'll keep a light color on the top and half way down the sides.

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:55 PM   #4
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Looks great! Can't wait for you to post some interior photos. I would go one of two options if she were mine; Pearl White with six coats of clear for that deep lustre, or yellow with flames running down the sides!

Rick
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:13 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
Looks great! Can't wait for you to post some interior photos. I would go one of two options if she were mine; Pearl White with six coats of clear for that deep lustre, or yellow with flames running down the sides! Rick
I took the dinnette seat cushion covers for dry cleaning this morning. When they are back we will take interior photos.

Yellow....humm.. might be a nice contrast with the original lime green countertop. Paint the wheels to match the red flames and we could have something to really make the neighbors proud.

empresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Thumbs up Flames YES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
Looks great! Can't wait for you to post some interior photos. I would go one of two options if she were mine; Pearl White with six coats of clear for that deep lustre, or yellow with flames running down the sides!

Rick
I remember a photo of a black 34 Ford with blue flames. Pearl White with Airstream Blue flames with blue pearl in the clearcoat would be awesome. I has a 72 Plymouth Satellite Sebring about that shade of blue (Petty Blue), a second coat of half blue and half clear (similar to candy) with the blue pearl, and a top coat of clear. It absolutely glowed!

Vaughan
Old 07-07-2007, 08:32 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1973 24' Argosy 24
Grand Rapids , Michigan
I bought one too

I am new to the Argosy/Airstream family, since I just purchased a 1973 Argosy 24ft. I have been camping for years, but this is my first travel trailer. I do not know how you feel about buying a TT that is over 30 years, old, but to be honest, it makes mea little nevous, not sure if going down the road on my first outing if things will start to fall off, or come apart.

The unit is very clean on the inside, no smells, and and has had all appliances replaced along with cushions and drapes, and all plumbing, with in the last eight years to cover everything. The carpet is not original but is not tacked down, which is good, since I could lift it up to see the floor. On the outside there is some paint chipping of course, and a little bit of rust, not much, just on the surface, otherwise the paint is in good shape, and from my untrained eye, the underside and axle look pretty good.

I know that everyone on here likes to give their expert opinion on things, so before I disclose how much I paid, depending on the responses, I might never say, what do you think is a ball park price for this type of unit?

Also, I purchased the unit before checking the forum regarding tow vehicles. I only looked here today in regards to hitch set ups, when I noticed the "Rave" reviews posted on here for pulling with a 1996 Ford Bronco. So, given what I have seen, the good, the bad and the ugly, it's all I have, and its not going to change in the near future. Keep in mind, I am not a cross country camper, and the farthest I think I have pulled any trailer was four hours in Ohio and Michigan. With out dropping a couple grand on a hitch system, I am planning to go with a Reese system with the anti sway cams. From what I have read on here, its about the best I am going to be able to do, in addition to following some advice I saw on here, "Slow down, take your time, give plenty of space, and enjoy the ride".

If anyone has any thoughts on this, or on the road tips, let me know. My father gave me one, when you get blasted by a semi and it starts to sway, tap the trailer brake, and it will help it straighten out quicker.

"Let's hope it all holds together"
Old 07-07-2007, 09:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
WElcome to the Forums

The Metro-Detroit forums group is having a VERY informal rally very soon at Grass Lake, MI. It will be fun and you can learn lots of stuff from everyone there. Why not join us there and have some fun?
Here are the calendar details:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/cale...8-3;&e=351&c=1
Here is the link to the thread talking about it.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...-32638-32.html

Larry and I have a 78 Argosy Minuetee 6.7 metre. We are reworking it as we go, but camping and having fun too. Good luck with yours.

Lou
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:06 AM   #9
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Your Bronco should have no trouble towing the Argosy, just don't go crazy with speed. The faster you go, the faster things can go South on you. If you go 50-55 mph while towing, along with your dual cam sway control, you should be okay.
Way back when, Wally only gave minimum horsepower for a vehicle to decide if it was capable of towing, not length or wheelbase, or even weight or type of frame. Things have certainly changed since the good old days.
The advice given you about using the trailer brakes to help stop sway is good. The only thing to add to that, is don't let off the gas when you do this, or it will defeat the purpose. After you get the sway corrected, then you can slow down.