Old 02-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Port Charlotte , Florida
Smile New '74 Argosy owner

Hello all,

What a great forum, my husband has wanted an Airstream for the past 10 years and well we finally pulled the trigger and bought our piece of "American History." I blame it on all of you because your TT look absolutely amazing!

I have so many questions because I want to help my hubsand. Our new baby is a 1974 28 ft Argosy. She is completely gutted with a new floor and an outside that appears to be dent-free (is that possible?) but the previous owner used house paint on her. I guess I should back up.... we found her from the classified section on this forum and put a down payment for the guy to hold her for us.... the TT is located in North Carolina and we are in Southwest Florida (12 hrs apart). We are planning a road trip the end of this month to pick her up. Are we crazy? She is rough cosmetically but the bones seem to be great. We are paying $1600 and are extremely excited. I don't feel like we overpaid.... did we?

Well back to the questions
- We have a F150 5.4 crew cab truck, will we have any problems towing her home? (12 hrs our first trip, super scared)
- I would like to pack a emergency kit with extra tire, jack, any other suggestions?

We are planning to redo the bathroom first so we can camp while it is not too hot out (remember we are in FL), any suggestions on what to start with?

I know we have jumped in way over our heads but are so excited and have no time expectations, we are going to camp while we fix her. We have 2 small (3 and 1 year old) kids and plan on getting them involved in-between camping trips. Crazy?

Thanks for any and all advise, suggestions, coaching, and wisdom. When we told our parents they don't truely understand the beauty of an airstream/argosy and would love some support.

Thanks so muchf!
The Dausy's

Click image for larger version

Name:	arg28 005.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	280.6 KB
ID:	178639

Click image for larger version

Name:	arg28 013.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	178640

Old 02-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Welcome to the wonderful world of Argosys

Hello.. We love ours... Check out the thread Costalotta from start to finish... it will give you a good idea with what we started with... forum Classified.. listed as ugly old trailer $1500.. we bought it sight unseen, only some pics. The thread will help you out any questions, feel free to ask. Your truck will do just fine.

WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Port Charlotte , Florida
Costalotta is beautiful, thanks for sharing. I decided that the first thing we needed to do is name her ..... I like Argy but we will see if hubby lets it stick. We are excited to start our adventure and pick her up and for the fun to start.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
New '74 Argosy owner

Greetings dausy!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Argosy ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dausy View Post
Well back to the questions
- We have a F150 5.4 crew cab truck, will we have any problems towing her home? (12 hrs our first trip, super scared)
I suspec that the answer to this question will be it "depends". You will need to check on the specifications for your truck. According to my literature, your Argosy 28 should have an empty weight of 4,040 (double) or 4,020 (twin) with an empty hitch weight of 510 pounds in either format. I suspect that the hitch weight will dictate a weight distributing hitch setup to keep from violating the capacities of the typical class III receiver hitch installed with most factory trailer towing packages on 1/2-ton trucks. Keep in mind that the actual empty weight of the trailer may be greater as these base weights do not include any options or accessories nor do they include the weight of any fluids or personal possessions that may be in the trailer. You will also need to check on the ball height of your hitch as you want to be able to tow the trailer as level as is possible to avoid excessively loading one axle of the coach and/or sway problems induced by improper hitch adjustment.

Quote:
- I would like to pack a emergency kit with extra tire, jack, any other suggestions?
You might want to check out an article that I wrote for the Forums sister site, AirstreamCentral, Preparing for the First Tow Home. The article reflects what I have learned towing my two Vintage coaches home in their "as found" conditions as well as what several others have experienced when I was along as friend/advisor. You are correct to plan on being prepared . . . my experience has been the better the preparation the fewer problems that I encountered.

Looking at the photos, I would suggest giving consideration to new tires prior to towing any distance. In the photos, the tires appear to have whitewalls, and it has been more than a decade since trailer tires with whitewalls were produced. Even if these tires have good tread, they are likely are a blowout waiting to happen due to age. Whether an Airstream or first generation Argosy is involved, a blowout can cause extensive (expensive) damage to the aluminum skin, wheelwells, plumbing, etc..

Quote:
We are planning to redo the bathroom first so we can camp while it is not too hot out (remember we are in FL), any suggestions on what to start with?
A good place to start is the trailer inspectors checklist . . . you can find a link to this document on the Forums homepage in the right-hand column. You can use this checklist to determine what your coach needs and then prioritize from there. The usual advice is to start from the bottom and work up . . . making sure that the foundation is sound before proceeding. This usually entails addressing chassis/frame/floor/leak issues first. You can almost count on needing new axles and possibly some outrigggers or other minor frame repairs. You would also want to address any weak or rotted areas in the floor once associated leaks are found and corrected. In most cases, you will find that you need new window/door/hatch/vent seals and gaskets replaced to stop all unwanted moisture infiltration. With first generation Argosys, you will also want to carefully examine and maintain the paint film on the galvanized steel endcaps, particularly where they meet aluminum body panels to prevent rust and galvanic reaction between the two types of metal.

Good luck with your Argosy!

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:17 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Port Charlotte , Florida
What type of tires are best? Size? Thank you so much, we will have them on before the trip home. Does anyone know what the height of the hitch has to be for an AS? Does it vary between campers?
Old 02-10-2013, 07:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Good morning... We have Maxxis and are very happy with them... 225/75/15. Be sure to repack the wheel bearings.... Hubby thinks the hitch height is 18 inches. Hope that this helps. Check the tire size though. If they are original they will say 700/15 which are unavailable now.
Definitely should have a weight distribution hitch.
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Port Charlotte , Florida
Thanks for all the advice we are planning a trip next Thursday to bring her home. We are so excited.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Port Charlotte , Florida
Just ordered the Anderson weight distribution hitch hope it gets here ontime. Any suggestions or tips on installing one?
Old 02-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
There are 2 threads going on the Andersen WD hitch.
I followed the instructions provided.
The hitch worked well for me. Just make sure the hitch pawl is located correctly. I posted a photo of an idea for a safety chain to prevent the coupler from raising off of the ball. It is very unlikely this would happen. But I like Belts and Suspenders.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Fresno/Clovis , California
I also have a 28' Argosy. You wont have any probs towing it. I have a F150 2010 rated at 7000#. It doesn't know the trailer is there. The hitch is important for sway, so set it up right, and good tires. Good luck, pics of your travels would be fun.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:25 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Paso Robles , California
Greetings! I also just purchased a 74 argosy 28". In similar condition to yours. My tow vehicle to get it home was an F-150 with a 4.2 liter V6 and a manual transmission. Short bed. I had no problems whatsoever getting my trailer home, I'm sure that your truck will do just fine.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #12

1976 Argosy 26
Delta , British Columbia
New purchase ... Argosy 26 1976

Hello, I just purchased a 1976 Argosy 26. It's in very good condition based on my opinion. I paid $1500. Everything works but will certainly need some maintenance and clean up. The previous owner started stripping the paint, it's almost all off. I'm now debating... Repaint or fully strip? Opinion? Anyone like to see pictures? I may be interested to sale or exchange for a sail boat. I simply purchased this nice unit because my neighbhour father (the owner) died and left her with it. I live in BC, Canada.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
New '74 Argosy owner

Greetings Jfrlandry!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage First Generation Argosy ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfrlandry View Post
Hello, I just purchased a 1976 Argosy 26. It's in very good condition based on my opinion. I paid $1500. Everything works but will certainly need some maintenance and clean up. The previous owner started stripping the paint, it's almost all off. I'm now debating... Repaint or fully strip? Opinion?
The choice may be predicated upon your decision to keep the unit or sell/trade the unit. Some first generation Argosy owners decide to strip and polish their Argosys with the galvanized steel endcaps painted a metallic silver to blend in with the polish job. Should you decide to repaint, you will still likely find that completing the stripping process will make the end paint job higher quality with a more even/uniform finish. Sometimes when an Argosy is strippped body damage repair is revealed that would make polishing either impossible or economically impractical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfrlandry View Post
Anyone like to see pictures? I may be interested to sale or exchange for a sail boat. I simply purchased this nice unit because my neighbhour father (the owner) died and left her with it. I live in BC, Canada.
Forums members love to see photos of Airstream products so I am sure photos of your Argosy will be well received.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Port Charlotte , Florida
Frame size

What size frame brackets will i need for the 1974 argosy 28'? I ordered the 8 inch brackets but the anderson rep(who is very helpful) said that she doesn't sell many of this size and i should double check.