Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #1

Palmdale , California
New 30' Owner Questions

Good Morning I recently purchased a 1979 Argosy 30' trailer. The exterior was in decent shape though the inside was mostly gutted with everything laying on the floor. I was planning on re-doing everything eventually anyways...

My first question is what is the easiest way to hook up the trailer towing lights? I will be towing with an excursion which has the 7 blade hook up compared to the 7 round pin that the trailer has. Is there not an adapter I can buy? I tried searching on here but only came up with wiring diagrams, which I assume means I have to wire up myself. Thanks for the help. I love all the info on the site.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (7).jpg
Views:	127
Size:	375.2 KB
ID:	163715
mx21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Welcome to the forums!

Since your trailer is a '79, it probably does not match the standard pinout of the current connectors. Your best bet would be to wire a new connector onto the trailer's umbilical cord, testing each wire as you go to make sure it's controlling the lights and brakes the way you think it's supposed to. Do you have a wiring diagram for your trailer? That would go a long way in helping you figure how what wire goes where.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:32 AM   #3

Palmdale , California
Thanks for the response. No I don't have a diagram, though I'm sure I could find one online. I'm still surprised there is no easy adapter, oh well.
mx21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I think there are 7-blade to 7-round adapters, but the point is that may not be enough in your case. I know my '75 Argosy's original pinout did not match the modern, essentially standard 7-pin pinout. It may be that someone has already fixed yours and you'd just need the blade-to-round adapter, but unless you're planning to change your Excursion to a round-pin plug, you might as well update your umbilical end to match the Excursion so you don't always need that adapter and so you don't have 7 more connections that might get dirty or otherwise fail.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Nice travel trailer!

A few questions for mx21:

1) What is the loaded tongue weight of your travel trailer? (is it center bath or rear bath? I know they have different dry hitch weights)
2) How has been your towing experience? Do you think this trailer can be towed with an SUV that has a 122 wheelbase? (12 inch less than Excursion)

Thansk a lot!
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote