Old 07-08-2007, 08:56 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 24' Argosy 24
Grand Rapids , Michigan
"New" 1973 24ft Argosy

I am new to the Argosy/Airstream family, since I just purchased a 1973 Argosy 24ft. I have been camping for years, but this is my first travel trailer. I do not know how you feel about buying a TT that is over 30 years, old, but to be honest, it makes mea little nevous, not sure if going down the road on my first outing if things will start to fall off, or come apart.

The unit is very clean on the inside, no smells, and and has had all appliances replaced along with cushions and drapes, and all plumbing. The carpet is not original but is not tacked down every where, which is good, since I could lift it up to see the floor. On the outside there is some paint chipping of course, and a little bit of rust, not much, just on the surface, otherwise the paint is in good shape, and from my untrained eye, the underside and axle look pretty good. When I get the chance I will take and post some photos of the unit.

I know that everyone on here likes to give their expert opinion on things, so before I disclose how much I paid, depending on the responses, I might never say, what do you think is a ball park price for this type of unit?

Also, I purchased the unit before checking the forum regarding tow vehicles. I only looked here today in regards to hitch set ups, when I noticed the "Rave" reviews posted on here for pulling with a 1996 Ford Bronco. So, given what I have seen, the good, the bad and the ugly, it's all I have, and its not going to change in the near future. Keep in mind, I am not a cross country camper, and the farthest I think I have pulled any trailer was four hours in Ohio and Michigan. With out dropping a couple grand on a hitch system, I am planning to go with a Reese system with the anti sway cams. From what I have read on here, its about the best I am going to be able to do, in addition to following some advice I saw on here, "Slow down, take your time, give plenty of space, and enjoy the ride".

If anyone has any thoughts on this, or on the road tips, let me know. My father gave me one, when you get blasted by a semi and it starts to sway, tap the trailer brake, and it will help it straighten out quicker.

"Let's hope it all holds together"

Old 07-08-2007, 09:03 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
Hi WestMichCamp,
Welcome to the Forums and good luck with the new trailer. I am a newbie as well and learning as I go. I'd suggest you get someone (or if you have the experise - you can do it) to check out the axel(s), brakes wheels and tires as a first step. Safety first is a good motto. Repack the bearings and if it all checks out you should be good to go. This forum is the best so ask, ask, ask away. Good luck!

Airforums# 7906, WBCCI #4248, WDCU
dudebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
WE too have one

Hello. I purchased a 73 Argosy 24' trailer on Ebay a few months ago out of PA. No title so I am working on that one, but paid $900 for it. So, with gas to go get it and floor / new step / frame re-enforcement for step too, I have about $2000 into it. It needed front floor and step work and that is now all complete, and I am looking to sell it for $2000. It is in decent shape, center gaucho and front (whatever you like as it did not have anything up front) dinette or gaucho. I might use it as an office if I don't sell it. It towed nice down the road from western PA to central NY - about 250 miles without any problems. It has tons of storage too! Since I have 5 of these streams right now, this one can go to a good home - I just need to know it will be used for camping and not some hunting shack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of Curb side small 1.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	40766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of curb side 2 small.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	40767  

Name:	galley small.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	40768   Click image for larger version

Name:	fridge small.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	40769  

Name:	gaucho small.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	40770   Click image for larger version

Name:	road side small.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	40771  

Name:	storage small.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	40772  
http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:21 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
Argosys finding new homes

WestMich,
Welcome to the AIR family and congratulations on being an Argosy owner.
As time goes by we will all enjoy sharing information and experiences with these wonderful vintage trailers.

Continuing to be steeped in maintenance and restoration,
em.

empresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:35 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

I can't comment on a fair fair price, but you should post some pictures for an accurate appraisal.

In the area of towing, the Reese will probably work great for you. You should read up on the weight distribution function. It is as important as sway control because if it is not adjusted properly, it can adversely effect the steering geometry of the tow vehicle.

The Bronco has a fairly short wheel base, so make sure that all is in proper adjustment, and all tires (TV & TT) are properly inflated. The shorter the TV wheel base, the less forgiving if a problem develops.

If you not experienced with towing heavy trailers, take her out on the road where there is not much traffic, and get the "feel" of it. It is very different to what you are used to. Get a good feel for your new stopping capabilities; the stopping distance will be increased substantially. Practice using your trailer brake controller manually. This will give you a feel for what the trailer brakes can do. You must drive accordingly. When towing your Argosy, you have more than doubled the length of your vehicle and substantially reduced you acceleration capabilities. Always be mindful of this when pulling out into traffic.

Get a little practice under your belt, and go out "campin".

Have fun and be safe.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:39 AM   #6
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Welcome to the forum WestMich.

I am sure your Argosy will give you many years of camping. All it is going to to need is some TLC. As was suggested, make sure your brakes, bearings, axels and tires are good to go. After that, you can fix things as you go.

My first trailer was an Argosy as well. A '78 20' Mineut. The only things it "needed" done was new brakes and rebuilding the holding tank valves. The rest of the stuff i did was mainly update older stuff and mondernize a few things. It was a good trailer and worked great while we had it. Towed it all over the state.

Your full size Bronco should be fine for towing. I would suggest a weight distribution set up though since you do have a somewhat short wheelbase.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 01:47 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
"New" 1973 24ft Argosy

Greetings WestMichCamp!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Argosy ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMichCamp
I am new to the Argosy/Airstream family, since I just purchased a 1973 Argosy 24ft. I have been camping for years, but this is my first travel trailer. I do not know how you feel about buying a TT that is over 30 years, old, but to be honest, it makes mea little nevous, not sure if going down the road on my first outing if things will start to fall off, or come apart.

I know that everyone on here likes to give their expert opinion on things, so before I disclose how much I paid, depending on the responses, I might never say, what do you think is a ball park price for this type of unit?

Also, I purchased the unit before checking the forum regarding tow vehicles. I only looked here today in regards to hitch set ups, when I noticed the "Rave" reviews posted on here for pulling with a 1996 Ford Bronco. So, given what I have seen, the good, the bad and the ugly, it's all I have, and its not going to change in the near future. Keep in mind, I am not a cross country camper, and the farthest I think I have pulled any trailer was four hours in Ohio and Michigan. With out dropping a couple grand on a hitch system, I am planning to go with a Reese system with the anti sway cams. From what I have read on here, its about the best I am going to be able to do, in addition to following some advice I saw on here, "Slow down, take your time, give plenty of space, and enjoy the ride".

If anyone has any thoughts on this, or on the road tips, let me know. My father gave me one, when you get blasted by a semi and it starts to sway, tap the trailer brake, and it will help it straighten out quicker.

"Let's hope it all holds together"
Don't let the age of your Argosy disuade you from taking long road trips -- the coach's age isn't a major factor so long as the running gear has been well maintained and/or refurbishes. Prior to purchasing my Minuet, my Overlander followed my tow vehicle all over the Western half of the United States without serious incident -- this was from 1995 when the coach was 31 years old through 2003 when the Minuet was purchased. Since 2003, the Minuet has done long-distance duty primarily due to fuel costs; and it too, has been virtually trouble-free on the road covering most of the Norther half of the Western U.S. My Suburban was purchased new in April of 1998, and has now traveled 184,000 miles with over 60% of those miles towing either my Overlander or Minuet -- in those miles, the trailers have been virtually trouble-free.

While not ideal, your full-size Bronco should have sufficient rating to tow your coach provided it was equipped with the factory tow package. With the shorter wheelbase, a good weight distributing hitch with built-in sway control will be a safety necessity (IMHO). There are two options for the budget minded buyer -- the Reese Straight-Line hitch that includes the Dual Cam Sway Control system; or the Equal-I-zer that also includes built-in sway control. Either system should be available new for approximately $600.00 or around $800.00 with professional installation -- both assuming that your Bronco already has the receiver style hitch installed. In addition, if your Bronco has the styled side view mirrors that are "built-in", you will want to find a good set of trailer-view mirrors -- my recommendation would be to consider McKesh -- they are a premium product, but like our Airstream products, they will last the purchaser a lifetime of towing -- one of my sets is 15 years old while the second set is nearly 30 years old and the manufacturer still carries replacement and repair parts for both.

It is difficult to comment on value without seeing a coach, and values are somewhat impacted by region where the coach is sold. In the Midwest, a 24' Argosy coach in ready-to-camp, clean original condition can be expected to start somewhere around $3,000 to a maximum of around $5,500. Equipment included with the coach as well as overall condition are major factors in the value.

Good luck with your Argosy, I am sure that you will find it to be a very enjoyable coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 02:37 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1973 24' Argosy 24
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Try this

This might help. This was from the seller.

1973 Argosy Travel Trailer.pdf