Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-08-2014, 09:26 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Frostproof , Florida
Installing round lights avoided the issue of the curvature of the trailer. A+ I like the look you got--thanks for your input.
Now at the getting much prettier stage!
Carolinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:53 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Tallahassee , Florida
Tail Lights

This is off topic, but what is the floor level cutout in the rear sheet metal for? A similar cut on mine would make the rear bath area floor more accessible.
Thanks, Dave
alfaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:31 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
1963 16' Bambi
1947 22' Liner
Hillpoint , Wisconsin
I had to replace the floor in the back and the rear cross member along with the hold down plate. The aluminum was also pretty corroded where it was against the hold down plate so I cut it out and replaced it as well. I had a the hold down late made out of stainless so it would not react with the new aluminum. I had to replace the 2x4 supports under the floor it was all pretty rotten as well but now it is better than new.
Sprouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:30 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
I found this thread from Loren Silva on this topic. I've purchased the lights on line and will do the replacement this spring. Looks pretty good to me!
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f4/1...ts-107306.html
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:08 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Frostproof , Florida
For better or worse, the ABS tail light assembly across the rear of our Argosy is GONE. I'd had it--to my eye, it was an unnecessary, cluttering addition by Airstream--maybe to cheapen the look of the Argosy line in comparison to the higher end sleek Airstreams? The moment it was removed the family and neighbor group kibitzing around literally sighed in relief. Of course, it is all a matter of individual taste, and a function of capitulation when faced with the task of repairing the cracking ABS.

Now, to replace the lights. We are going to try to use recessed Bargman #84 Triple Tail Light W/Back Up Horizontal--my son thinks he can, maybe, bend the plastic with heat to fit the curve of the trailer wall. YouTube has a number of videos showing bending ABS up to 1/4" with a heat gun. We'll see how that works. If successful, I'll try to get photos taken of the process and post--sure would be great to avoid paying $269 for Airstreams' plastic curved tail lights. And one of the perks is this tail light is slightly larger than the hole in the trailer, so no patching required, hopefully. As I say, we'll see--and hope.

Anyone have an experience using heat to bend ABS?
Now at the getting much prettier stage!
Carolinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:48 PM   #26

1973 Argosy 26
Millersburg , Ohio
Here's what I'm doing to mine. I just bought 4" LED lights that are used on semi trucks, and had an aluminum piece made to cover up the square hole. I went with one red for my stop, tail, and turn and one white for my backup lights. It's awesome having all of that light back there when backing in the dark!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	205384  
Argosyinneed is offline   Reply With Quote