Old 04-09-2008, 04:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Auburn , Washington
My new-old Argosy

Was given a 26 foot twin Argosy. My wife and I going to try to get road worthy in the near future. I have been reading these many tidbits from all of you folks and we feel that we will fit in and be able to contibute to a very elite group!!
We haven't gien her aname yet, but will have to see what happens as we start to clean and rehab her for use. We will post a before and after pic soon. Thank you all for the great info so far!! Dan and Sherry W.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:58 PM   #2
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Welcome Dan and Sherry! Whoever gave you the Argosy has to be a very nice person - congrats on the new acquisition. You'll find lots of good info here to help you with your renovations. We have a very active group here in the NW area - hope to meet you at a rally one day. Oh yeah, and post some pictures of your trailer!

Old 04-09-2008, 07:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Welcome and congrats on the new coach. It should proivide many good memories. Do you know much of the Argosy's history?
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:10 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Auburn , Washington
Thanks Mel, for your warm welcome. As I see you're not far from us, so I am sure we'll meet on more than just occassion.
Royce, thank you as well. To answer your question, we seem to be the third owners. We got it from a good friends' mother-in-law. A very nice lady who lost her husband recently and was downsizing. She bought it used off a lot in Seattle in '96. I lose the trail before that. It's in rough shape, but everything is there so we have our work cut out for us. First is a good cleaning inside and out. Then we start to poke and prod the floors and walls for defects and softspots. Then on to appliances.
Will post pics as soon as I figure out how....
Old 04-10-2008, 12:40 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Milford , New Jersey
Welcome, and congratulations on your new aquisition. Don't be afraid of getting out and using that great trailer once you determine that she's road worthy. Start with the stuff that will get you on the road this summer, tires,brakes,appliances etc. If you find some floor rot or something that is a big project, ask yourself if you can live with it for a bit. This forum is a fantastic place and a really good help with all projects. It gave me the motivation to start remodelling our Argosy. The downside to a forum this comprehensive is that it makes you worry about all kinds of things that you never thought about. Our Trailers are old, they will have some problems, keep it in perspective. It's about having fun and going places. Best of Luck, George.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:02 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Gresham , Oregon
Something I've noticed...

You might see in my signature that I wasn't too happy at first with our new project trailer. I'm very handy around the house, but didn't know what to expect out of a trailer. Once I started working on things I realized that fixing this up isn't so difficult. Just move one step at a time and check one system after another. Keep a list of jobs you'd like to do, things you'd like to replace. It will never end, but that's okay.

The other thing I've learned that I am most surprised by is that I am realizing that one doesn't just buy an Argy, fix it up and sell it for another one. EVERY Argy will have its issues, just a different set. So I've decided I may just keep moving forward with rehabbing the one we've got. At least this is the devil I know.

Our "Argy" is growing on us.

Drat, now our little Argy is starting to grow on me. I guess you were...were...were...right, honey.
OregonArgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Welcome to the forums!

Lucky folks... you were given an Argy! We will be interested in the pictures! Check out the rally calendar and join in a forum rally! The Northwest has great rallies!

Hope to see you on the road soon!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
Old 04-20-2008, 07:27 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Auburn , Washington
as promised

Just as I promised....pictures of the beast!!

The floor is spongee, and the inside has a mold problem so I guess it's a gut and skin job...I'll keep you posted as I go along.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000423.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	58703   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000426.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	58704  

Name:	IM000430.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	58705   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000432.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	58706  

Name:	IM000433.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	58707   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000429.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	58708  

Old 04-20-2008, 09:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Looks pretty good. Fix the leaks first then go for the restore. Actually it doesn't look all that bad in the pictures. Welcome to the world of Argosy. You sure got in for the right price, I'm jealous.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
HEY! That's MY Argosy! : )
Welcome - yours looks a lot like ours, but with the paint on. You'll have fun in no time, drop a line if you have questions.
Marc (in Seattle)
Old 04-22-2008, 02:58 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Auburn , Washington
Thanks to you all. Yes, Juel, we did get it sweet. But this last weekend, we went to get a key made for the storage bins and start to clean out the PO's treaures. Sherry and I both stood there for a few and wondered..."What the h&%* have we gotten into!!?" But as we got into it, we were already trying to decide on the way we would restore it. Original or custom..so it begins....
Next week a dump run and the main door lock to the locksmith for rekeying.
I guess it's a go....
I am going to be reading everything I can here for help and support on this. I'm a television repairman by trade, and a woodworker by hobby. Those skills will be put to the test!!
Old 04-22-2008, 04:22 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I can see a beautiful trailer in the works for the two of you. Just be careful of overdoing the weight with your skills as a woodworker. Real wood gets heavy fast if you're not careful. Try not to change the weight distribution too much also. These trailers are designed with the weight where it should be and if you change things drasticly you will notice it in the wear and towing changes.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:01 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Re - wood. Just FYI, there's a product called "lite Ply" sold by Compton Lumber in the Sodo area (I think it's on 1st or 2nd AVe). Much lighter than traditional plywood.
Can't wait to see resto pics!
Marc
Old 04-23-2008, 11:23 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Nice! She'll clean up real purdy!

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote