Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greer , South Carolina
You could spray the whole front if you wanted. It's supposedly perfectly clear and self-leveling so that it looks perfectly smooth. It should work fine on windows or the rock guards. Plus you could get the benefit of sealing any seams.

I'm considering buying some for the car and trying it out. Since it's so easy to remove, it's no sweat to take it off if I screw it up.
wncrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:55 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Please report back, or do a test on a piece of glass to see if it is optically clear & without distortion.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:08 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wncrasher View Post
What about the new spray-on product I've seen advertised for cars? Seems easy, probably tough enough and is removable.
Do you have a website link to this product?
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:57 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Indiana , Pennsylvania
I was thinking about trying Plasti Dip on my camper.
Plasti Dip Protective Coating Products | Plasti Dip Protective Coating Products | Rubber Dip Coating
It supposedly peels right off if you don't like it and wont damage the surface of what it is painted on. I haven't tried it myself yet but a co-worker coated the wheels and bumpers of his truck with it and it looks good.
Hoppershot75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
Hamilton , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by wncrasher View Post
You could spray the whole front if you wanted. It's supposedly perfectly clear and self-leveling so that it looks perfectly smooth. It should work fine on windows or the rock guards. Plus you could get the benefit of sealing any seams.

I'm considering buying some for the car and trying it out. Since it's so easy to remove, it's no sweat to take it off if I screw it up.
This may be a dumb question, but how can a vertical application be "self-leveling"?
Savage68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Irrigon , Oregon
you have to tip the trailer up on to it's end
Old 07-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
To be more serious. They call the property self levelling thixotropic products. That means, under low shear environments, the liquid has high viscosity, but when it subject to shear, the viscosity of the liquid become less. The material is formulated in such a way that the liquid will become smooth as it dries. That is what they call self leveling.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Just finished a 600 mile trip with the Argosy. The rock guards worked perfectly, they never moved around in travel, came off easy, and went on fast. A friend of mine that was camping with us with a 1975 24' twin had the canvass rock guards, and mine went on a little faster then snapping his on. The only down side is you have to put them somewhere when they are not on the trailer. I just leaned them against the sides directly below the window they came off of.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:38 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Vienna , VIRGINIA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventport View Post
Just finished a 600 mile trip with the Argosy. The rock guards worked perfectly, they never moved around in travel, came off easy, and went on fast. A friend of mine that was camping with us with a 1975 24' twin had the canvass rock guards, and mine went on a little faster then snapping his on. The only down side is you have to put them somewhere when they are not on the trailer. I just leaned them against the sides directly below the window they came off of.
I realize this is a dated thread, but I'm looking at your idea for the starting point for my home made rock guards and have a couple questions:

Is the center bracing in each panel another 1/2" conduit?
Why did you need that extra bracing?
In total that seems like quite a bit of weight in just conduit; did you attach the upper aluminum angle into the frame of the window or above the frame? With rivets or stainless steel screws?

How have these held up over the last year? Have you had any rubbing against the Argosy or any issues in high winds while traveling?
Old 08-03-2014, 05:48 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I built a set of rock guards for our panoramic windows. PM me with your email address and I will send you pictures and drawings. I used aluminum flat stock and angle.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:26 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3sonsdad View Post
I realize this is a dated thread, but I'm looking at your idea for the starting point for my home made rock guards and have a couple questions:

Is the center bracing in each panel another 1/2" conduit?
Why did you need that extra bracing?
In total that seems like quite a bit of weight in just conduit; did you attach the upper aluminum angle into the frame of the window or above the frame? With rivets or stainless steel screws?

How have these held up over the last year? Have you had any rubbing against the Argosy or any issues in high winds while traveling?

Yes all the conduit is 1/2".
It just held the curved shape better with the extra brace.
They really do not weigh much, and are easy to lift into place.
The upper angle bracket is attached to the window frame with rivets.
They have held up perfectly, and since they are held away from the body of the Argosy, they do not rub on the body anywhere.
The only thing I may change is to replace the pebbled fiberglass panels with something that you could see through. Then if I was only stoping for the night, I would not have to remove them to see outside.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:25 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
Hamilton , Montana
I fabbed some rock guards for all three front windows (sheet alum), my wife noticed two things she liked immediately; when quite hot, as it has been recently here in the Bitterroot, they keep the interior cooler, and for sleeping, they are nice shades, keeping it nice and dark. I configured the center one so it acts like an awning when the window is open.
Savage68 is offline   Reply With Quote