Old 08-03-2014, 03:38 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Vienna , VIRGINIA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventport View Post
Just finished a 600 mile trip with the Argosy. The rock guards worked perfectly, they never moved around in travel, came off easy, and went on fast. A friend of mine that was camping with us with a 1975 24' twin had the canvass rock guards, and mine went on a little faster then snapping his on. The only down side is you have to put them somewhere when they are not on the trailer. I just leaned them against the sides directly below the window they came off of.
I realize this is a dated thread, but I'm looking at your idea for the starting point for my home made rock guards and have a couple questions:

Is the center bracing in each panel another 1/2" conduit?
Why did you need that extra bracing?
In total that seems like quite a bit of weight in just conduit; did you attach the upper aluminum angle into the frame of the window or above the frame? With rivets or stainless steel screws?

How have these held up over the last year? Have you had any rubbing against the Argosy or any issues in high winds while traveling?

Old 08-03-2014, 06:48 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I built a set of rock guards for our panoramic windows. PM me with your email address and I will send you pictures and drawings. I used aluminum flat stock and angle.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:26 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3sonsdad View Post
I realize this is a dated thread, but I'm looking at your idea for the starting point for my home made rock guards and have a couple questions:

Is the center bracing in each panel another 1/2" conduit?
Why did you need that extra bracing?
In total that seems like quite a bit of weight in just conduit; did you attach the upper aluminum angle into the frame of the window or above the frame? With rivets or stainless steel screws?

How have these held up over the last year? Have you had any rubbing against the Argosy or any issues in high winds while traveling?

Yes all the conduit is 1/2".
It just held the curved shape better with the extra brace.
They really do not weigh much, and are easy to lift into place.
The upper angle bracket is attached to the window frame with rivets.
They have held up perfectly, and since they are held away from the body of the Argosy, they do not rub on the body anywhere.
The only thing I may change is to replace the pebbled fiberglass panels with something that you could see through. Then if I was only stoping for the night, I would not have to remove them to see outside.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:25 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
Hamilton , Montana
I fabbed some rock guards for all three front windows (sheet alum), my wife noticed two things she liked immediately; when quite hot, as it has been recently here in the Bitterroot, they keep the interior cooler, and for sleeping, they are nice shades, keeping it nice and dark. I configured the center one so it acts like an awning when the window is open.