Old 02-14-2008, 03:10 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spin
This may sound totally absurd, but for the non-existent J molding, would shrink tubing work? I was thinking I could slit it, place it around the exposed edge, heat it and it would shrink in snuggly. All it is there for is to hide the exposed edge and give it a finished look. Plus the tubing comes in all colors.
Try a small piece.

What can you lose?

Andy

Old 02-14-2008, 05:53 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Spin,

Could you use aluminum preformed J molding and paint it..? You can buy the aluminum molding in 8 foot sections.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:45 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Try these folks...

Your post got me looking for the snap over wall trim for my 71 bath wall - Airstream said they no longer had it. Maybe something here you can use for the ceiling - page 10?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Moldings.pdf (654.5 KB, 76 views)
Old 02-14-2008, 07:53 PM   #18
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I was walking through my local NAPA, and noticed lengths of door-edge guard moulding. It would probably slip over the end of the aluminum in place of the J stuff at the end of the ceiling. I saw various lengths in black and chrome (silver).
Old 02-14-2008, 08:17 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Cape Coral , Florida
We're about 3 months ahead of you with our '77 6 metre...The J-trim is available at Out of Doors Mart in North Carolina - Out-of-Doors Mart - we bought ours in November and they still show it online. It comes in a light tan - goes good with the vinyl on the walls. We also trimmed the raw edge of the abs over the wrap windows - it's thicker than the regular panels - so the j-trim kept popping off - instead we used some shower panel trim from Lowes. Don't you love that aluminum composite floor!
Old 02-14-2008, 10:49 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

I found the some moulding that snaps over the aluminum that goes across the ceiling and down the walls. I have a 1977 argosy motorhome. I changed it because mine had turned yellow and brittle and was breaking. It was a little thicker, but it fit snug. I found it In Quartsite in the RV flea market. I don't know if they also had the aluminum though.It's a off white color
Old 02-14-2008, 11:59 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Round Rock , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgezink
We're about 3 months ahead of you with our '77 6 metre...The J-trim is available at Out of Doors Mart in North Carolina - Out-of-Doors Mart - we bought ours in November and they still show it online. It comes in a light tan - goes good with the vinyl on the walls. We also trimmed the raw edge of the abs over the wrap windows - it's thicker than the regular panels - so the j-trim kept popping off - instead we used some shower panel trim from Lowes. Don't you love that aluminum composite floor!
WOW..this is the stuff I have searched everywhere for! Thank you! And yes I do love the aluminum composite floor. Actually, I love everything about this trailer.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:54 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
I just ordered a bunch of 1.25" rub rail extrusion and insert from Extrude-A-Trim. The extrusion I ordered is BM 3002. I also ordered some BM 3006 endcaps and BM 3005 insert. The BM 3002 looks exactly like what I pulled out of my Argosy's bathroom. I should mention... They only sell the insert by full 250' rolls. Needless to say, I'll have plenty to spare. The extrusions they sell are in 12' lengths, but if you want, they will cut them down to 6 foot lengths at no extra charge so they can ship via UPS.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:17 AM   #23
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I wanted to throw Welcome to Outwater Plastics & Architectural Products into the fray... They have lots of plastic and metal extrusions, moldings, mouldings, channel.... They supply cabinet shops, sign companies and fixture manufactures. I bet you will find what you are looking for there. They have no issues shipping 8' tubes and do not charge a fortune to ship them to you. Almost all their extrusions are 12' so they cut them to whatever length you need. Now shipping 12' tubes via truck, that gets expensive.
I was told that a part I needed did not exist too. For some reason I found it... odd. I guess if it does not exist at one store out west it is non- existant. Good luck with you project... eat some BBQ for me.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote