Old 03-13-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
St. John , Indiana
Minuet streetside gaucho problems

I have a '77 6.0 metre. Does anyone use their gaucho as a bed? I am unable to keep the frame tight enough that the cushions do not separate. Does anyone have a secret to keep the gaucho from sliding further out? Also, when I bought the trailer the previous owners made wooden supports that fit under the bed and the floor (kind of like legs). Are these necessary? They tend to drive me batty... I get the first couple up and by the time I get to the other end of the gaucho, the first ones are falling over! Any suggestions???

Old 03-14-2011, 01:28 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Minuet streetside gaucho problems

Greetings Jill!

I suspect that you may be missing the narrow (approximately 3.5") filler cushion that fills in next to the wall on the Minuet's side lounge. It is also possible that all three plastic extension stops may be broken or missing - - and, unfortunately, these parts don't appear to be available any longer and I haven't run across any potential replacements.

I suspect that the drop-down legs were added by a previous owner to compensate for the lack of extension stops as the plastic/nylon guides for the aluminum sliding frame are also very difficult to source. One possible method of securing the drop-down legs in the down position would be a set of heavy-duty spring-loaded clamps that could be attached behind the leg to keep it in the down position when needed (these clamps can be found in the woodworking section of most home improvement centers). Rubber or plastic furniture casters placed under the legs might also help to give them greater stability as well.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Hi Jill! Can't say we have the same problem - I use our gaucho without the extra filler cushion.

Ours also has little add-on legs - ours are little bits of PVC pipe that are attached to a hinge on the underside of the gaucho platform. They fold down and stay down or fold up and stay up. (And of course, I forget to fold them up before trying to slide the gaucho back into place.) That said, it doesn't seem like they're super necessary, at least for our application.

Good luck!

Tom
Old 03-14-2011, 03:33 PM   #4
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Afaik, additional supports are all aftermarket. We also added some but more for our peace of mind than real need. I agree that you may be missing a cushion. Originally there were 2 cushions (seat and back) that were attached with a fabric hinge and then a second bolster that ran the length of the gaucho and kept the back at the proper angle.

That bolster was an integral part of the bed configuration.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Here is a picture of our gaucho (please excuse the cover - it was a trial with cheap fabric), you can see the hinge and the extra bolster.

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
http://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:04 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
St. John , Indiana
Thanks you all for your help! I'm going to have to get another cushion, then maybe the bed will be more comfortable!
Old 03-17-2011, 09:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Gaucho comfort is an oxymoron.

I've never seen a Gaucho that is all that comfortable to sleep on. It's kind of like a hide a bed only you sleep in the valleys instead of across them. If I had one, I'd put an air mattress on it.
Myhappypill; I removed the gaucho from my Argosy and still have some of the hardware for sliding it out. If there is anything you can use, it's yours for the cost of postage.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:29 PM   #8
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
2.5 inch foam makes it comfy!

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
http://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Gaucho problems, solutions and comfort as a bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHappyPill View Post
Does anyone use their gaucho as a bed? I am unable to keep the frame tight enough that the cushions do not separate... Also, when I bought the trailer the previous owners made wooden supports that fit under the bed and the floor (kind of like legs). Are these necessary?
Yes, we and the dogs love the space that our fully extended gaucho provides as a lounge and bed in our 2007 Safari L-Lounge trailer. But about six months into using it in this configuration, we found that the curb-side wood bracket, which supported the metal slide out brackets was separating away from the gaucho frame due to the factory using staples with the wood and short screws on the metal bracket. See how Larry fixed this starting with Post #283 in SilverGate's Safari is Home at Last! thread.

To add further support to the extended gaucho metal frame, Larry made hinged legs that fold up and are held in place by magnetic cabinet catches to permit access to storage area underneath and to allow the lounge to fully close when needed. See pictures and more information on this in Post #313 in SilverGate's Safari is Home at Last! thread.

To keep the cushions from separating, Larry used webbing straps with adjustable side-release buckles from our local yardage shop. The buckle allows for taut adjustment. It is used with 1 1/2" wide cotton or nylon webbing of desired length, with excess allowing for adjustment

See how we made our extended gaucho into a comfortable bed, starting with Post #287 in SilverGate's Safari is Home at Last! thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0061 Larry & Corgis on lounge.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	124821  
Old 03-18-2011, 05:48 PM   #10
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
I have to say that I never had a problem with the cushions separating. The little lip on the edge of the frame holds every thing in place tightly. The original foam in our minuet was about 6 inches thick and real natural latex rubber. It's still comfortable after all these years.

That said, the dinette bed is actually much better for sleeping. It's the same width, but it seems wider on the street side because you can ooze over on to the gaucho - good for wide shoulders. The other advatage is that if there are 2 of you, one can get up earlier than the other and still use the kitchen and bathroom. The aisle is still clear.

The gaucho effectively prevents any use of those spaces when open.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:34 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
The gaucho effectively prevents any use of those spaces when open.
That's part of our trick of not using the additional cushion/bolster. Without it, the gaucho basically makes a twin-sized bed. It also means there's another six inches or so of aisle, so I can stay (sort of) sleeping on the gaucho while my wife awakens from the dinette and makes coffee.

Leaving the bolster in our attic doesn't seem to have any other downsides. The plywood in the gaucho back holds that at the right angle for sitting.

The dinette is the better bed, except it's just a bit short across the trailer.

Different strokes...

Tom