Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2004, 06:32 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Minuet or Non-Minuet

I have just bought a 1978, 24ft Argosy. How can I tell if it's a Minuet? Did they come in this length? I haven't picked up the trailer yet, so I can't look at the floors and there is no owners manual. I would love to post some pictures since it is a beautiful trailer, inside and out. It doesn't have the colorful interior, just very tasteful muted sofas. It features two fold out double beds, and there is a vanity in the center bedroom. What is it? Oh yes, I won't be posting any pictures since I am helplessly computer illiterate. Judy
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 07:50 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
I have just bought a 1978, 24ft Argosy. How can I tell if it's a Minuet? Did they come in this length? I haven't picked up the trailer yet, so I can't look at the floors and there is no owners manual. I would love to post some pictures since it is a beautiful trailer, inside and out. It doesn't have the colorful interior, just very tasteful muted sofas. It features two fold out double beds, and there is a vanity in the center bedroom. What is it? Oh yes, I won't be posting any pictures since I am helplessly computer illiterate. Judy
Judy,first, welcome to the forums! If you have a placard by the main entry door that says "ARGOSY24" you have an Argosy 24. If you have a placard that says "MINUET" with a metric number after it, like 7.4, 6.7, etc., you have a minuet. My guess is you have a regular Argosy, the Minuets were 6" narrower than a standard Argosy, with a few other minor differences.
Maybe you could get a friend to post a couple of pictures on the forum photo area, since you are a member you have an area for photos.
By the way, I think further investigation will show the two double beds are, unfortunately, just largish twin beds. Two doubles wouldn't allow any room for people to move between the front of the trailer and the bathroom.
Good luck with it, in any case.
Terry
Old 11-02-2004, 08:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Welcome Judy
The larger Minuets were listed in meters to my knowlage.
It should be listed as 7.4 meters. The Minuet is narrower trailer than the full size Arogosy. Just look for the plaques on the sides located in the beltline. it would say Minuet. Mine has two of them.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:01 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Best of luck with your new Argosy,

I have a '78 24 foot with double and center "vanity"( that I call "computer desk"). I'm planning to live most of the year in mine. Eventually it will be a little more colorful inside with new curtains, etc... Mine came with a manual if you need a copy I could send it too you....it's for all the '78 Argosies...I'm excited for you.
Pictures would be nice....I'm always looking for decorating ideas beyond Mexican blankets and Target microwave carts...
Kate
Trailerbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 11:11 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Minuet or Non-Minuet

Greetings Judy!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Argosy ownership!

Quote:
While it is possible that your coach might be a Minuet, it is more likely a regular series Argosy. It seems that the Minuet 6.7 and 7.3 must have been introduced during the 1978 model year as the 6.0 Metre was the only Minuet mentioned in the factory sales literature and owners' manual. There have been a few Minuet 6.7 Metres with '78 VINS as well as at least one 7.3 Metre with a '78 VIN; but there seem to be more '79 7.3 Metres than '78s. The '78 Argosy 24 page is below:

The '79 Minuet page is below:

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 04:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Thank you all so much for your help. I wll look to see what the trailer says when I pick it up. I have had an Airstream in the past, 1968 Caravel, but I think this Argosy is just as cute OR CUTER! I'll try to get photos on here, but to tell you the truth, I'm lucky to get on myself for posting. Thanks again. Judy
Old 11-03-2004, 05:33 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
1978 Argosy

Thanks for your reply. Are those really double beds in the 24ft or just big twins? This trailer (in pictures I've seen) has a beautiful interior. It's not orange or green or Southwest at all. It's supposed to be "original" but I've never seen one with these colors before. I will have someone help me with pictures if I can find someone who knows how to do that. I would love to have a manual on the 78's. I am so excited about having an Airstream/Argosy again. I can hardly wait to go get this one. Have you restored your Argosy at all. Judy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerbunny
Best of luck with your new Argosy,

I have a '78 24 foot with double and center "vanity"( that I call "computer desk"). I'm planning to live most of the year in mine. Eventually it will be a little more colorful inside with new curtains, etc... Mine came with a manual if you need a copy I could send it too you....it's for all the '78 Argosies...I'm excited for you.
Pictures would be nice....I'm always looking for decorating ideas beyond Mexican blankets and Target microwave carts...
Kate
Old 11-03-2004, 08:10 AM   #8
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
Hi juel,

It sounds like your Argosy is a real "jewel" and I hope you can get those pics out there for us to see it!

A couple of ways to spot a minuet. It seems that the gaucho will not have a streetside arm rest in the minuet, while the other Argosys do. Also, I've gotten to where I can look at the rear window and tell from the width of it whether the Argosy is a minuet or not.

If you haven't already, check out http://www.argosytrailer.com for some cool Argosy pics.

Enjoy your new find!
Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 08:14 AM   #9
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Welcome Fellow Okie

Hello Judy - I grew up in Tulsa

We have the 22' or 6.7 metre Minuet Argosy and YES, we love it. It is extremely easy to tow. If you are interested in new decor, you are welcome to look at what I have done to our "Mini Moonunit" so far. Also, you can see in the picture forum that one of my pictures shows the Minuet sign on the outside. Just click on my forum name and a drop down menu will appear. Then go to my picture gallery. Also, if you have a digital camera, it is not extremely hard to post pics here after adding them to your computer. Most cameras come w/some type of software to get them into your computer and from there a number of people in this forum can guide you. I know how you feel tho cause I think I have posted how computer UNsavvy I am at least 100 times Anyway, welcome and have fun....we sure are.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:52 PM   #10

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
troy , Ohio
Question

mine is a 79 24' no name tags list it as a minuet but the floor layout seems to match the 7.3 minuet...with out name tags how do i tell for sure what i have?
fixbymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:00 PM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixbymark
mine is a 79 24' no name tags list it as a minuet but the floor layout seems to match the 7.3 minuet...with out name tags how do i tell for sure what i have?
If you have a tape measure laying around, measure the width. A Minuet is about 8" narrower than a regular Argosy 24.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:31 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Minuet or Non-Minuet

Greetings fixbymark!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixbymark
The outside floor width on the Minuet series was 7', while the standard Argosy line had an outside floor width of 7' 8". Another clue would be the construction of the interior cabinetry -- the Minuets utilized vinyl-clad aluminum while the standard Argosy line utilized various laminates. A third clue would be the side windows -- the Minuet's side windows were acrylic while the standard Argosy coaches had Herculite safety glass windows. I am not certain, but believe that the above floor mounted wash water tank may also have been a feature unique to the Minuet -- the drawback was that it doesn't collect drain water from the shower.

According to the 1979 Argosy sales literature, the standard Argosy coaches were available only in 27' and 30' floor plans; while Minuets were offered in the 6.0 Metre (20'), 6.7 Metre (22'), and 7.3 Metre (24'). According to the factory literature that I have, the last of the standard Argosy 24 coaches would have been 1978, but the factory literature that I have hasn't always reflected mid-year changes.

Good luck with your investigation.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:14 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Welcome fixbymark. I started this post over a year ago when I was waiting to get my Argosy. I have had him since late in 2004 and it is a true love affair. This trailer has been so much fun and really my passion as far as restoration. The forum has been a great source of information and fun too. These are great folks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	17769   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	17770  

Old 01-19-2006, 03:50 AM   #14