Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-06-2002, 04:13 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Chas,
3M produces clear film that can be cut to protect body panels on your truck. Husky produces mudflaps (not like the semi mudflaps) that blend in with the truck body whether they have the plastic trim or not. 3M sheets come with the mudflaps to keep the flaps from tearing the paint up. Check body repair shops and auto supply shops for rolls and/or sheets of the 3M clear protector. Go to www.pickuptrucks.com site and they will let you know which company manufacturers precut clear protectors for the leading edge of your hood and the light lens. I'm also wondering if the thicker stuff would protect the aluminum panels and the front glass. I'm going to say no to the alum. panels and questionable for the glass.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 06:56 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Minuet Front Window Rock Guards

RE: Second Opinion

Greetings Leigh!

You are to be commended for the footwork on this issue. Intunitively, I had suspected that the current Airstream product would be too wide for the Minuet. I thnik that I am going to try to convince my regular Airstream dealer to modify one of the rock guards for my Minuet as it is less than the cost of the deductible on my insurance and according to my information just a bit more than the cost of one of the wing windows if my information on pricing of the wing windows is correct.

I have rather large Ziebart installed mud flaps on my Suburban, and they have been effective thus far. My Cadillac on the other hand doesn't have any kind of protection behind its wheels so I don't know whether it will kick up more debris at the trailer - - I guess only time will tell - - I don't want to install mud flaps on it as it would mean drilling through some of its very expensive chrome trim. I am considering some of the guards that attach to the torque tube on the hitch for both the Suburban and Cadillac - - the ones that I have been considering at a local farm store would be easily removed for the Cadillac when it isn't towing the Argosy - - they could be left on the Suburban more or less permanently.

I am thinking that a side benefit of the rock guard will be a reduction in sun/heat damage to the draperies and upholstery. A concern that is immediately in my future as I have an appointment for an interior make-over with Fowler Interiors.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 09:38 AM   #23
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado

Ok Folks - here is a bit more info re: rock guards and Argosy front windows. I have been told that AS has just announced an increase in prices for dealers selling AS parts. The rock guard's price has not been affected yet, but that may change soon! Also, the clear wrap windows for Argosy (or newer AS models with wrap windows) has not been available for a number of years. Now it is tinted grey, so if one gets broken, that is the option from AS. Not sure about replacement cost. I have been told around $265 per window, but also heard up to $600. Those were not definite quotes, but off the top of heads.

Ken J

Thanks for the #, I think I will call and see what he can do to enlighten me on this.

It looks like quite a few more Argosy owners are coming on board the forum. The info seeking on this gets to be quite a passion!!
Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 06:35 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Hey guys, we're back.

I'm sorry I haven't followed along for the last few months. I purchased a 66 Chevelle a couple of months ago and have been spending alot of time on it. I'll run out and get the receipt to our rockguard and post it momentarily. It sure would have helped this thread if I had been keeping up to date here. Sorry, it won't happen again. Promise!

Here is a quick look at our newest vintage hobby.

http://www.pbase.com/michaelw/1966_chevelle

Be right back!

Michael
mwilleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 06:50 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Following is the information from our receipt for the rockguard. Now keep in mind that the rockguard was purchased in Feb. of 1998, so pricing may be off a little.

Ordered from: American Way RV Center
4033 Chinden Blvd
Boise, ID 83714
(800) 345-6651

Sku # 685275-100
$649.53 + $37.40 freight/handling

Total in 1998- $686.93

Worth every penny!!!!!!!

Any questions, please let me know.

Michael
Old 12-12-2002, 09:31 AM   #26
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
????

Hola Michael - Glad to see you got to this thread also. I notice that the part # for your rock guard is the same as I found when I researched this. Now the question is, did Charlie Burke install yours with modification? Did you do the installation yourself, with modification? Did the Rock Guard need modification? That is the big question, cause according to AS that part will work, but DOES need to be modified. It will help so much to get your input, especially if you did the modification yourself because you can probibly give more detailed instructions. This is a big purchase and I, for one, would not want to make a mistake. Thanks
Leigh

PS I also am still interested in the wider stripe painted around your lovely Argosy. Did you purchase it that way, or paint yourself?

PSS Did you see Argosy Minuet24 yet??? We have quite an interesting family of trailers now, Si????
Old 12-13-2002, 05:44 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Dear Coargosy78,

We purchased our Minuet repainted and with the rockguard on I'm sorry to say. I can tell you that the original owner told us there were slight modifications required during the installation, but he told us that it wasn't a big deal. Looking at it myself, I don't see any welding or serious modifactions. I will tell you this, the rockguard has been hit a few times (rock and road debris) and I'm sure glad to have it protecting our wrap around windows. Plus it's really nice during the day, because you can have the curtains open to enjoy the scenery and still have privacy as no one can see in while it's light out.

As for the paint, they (the original owners) had a company in Portland, which had contracts to paint buses here in the northwest and has since gone out of business, paint her for them. They chose the colors. I think they really wanted it to look like an Airstream, hence the silver paint. We would repaint it to the original cream color if it wasn't so expensive. The awning material matches the current color sceme so it would need to be replaced also.

In response to your question about Argosy Minuet24, I have found quite a few topics regarding Argosys here in the forum, which is wonderful! I felt I was about the only Argosy trailer owner here when I first joined.

We've got dinner reservations so I better get going. If you have any other questions that I may be able to answer, please let me know.

Michael
Old 12-16-2002, 06:52 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

mwilleford,

Glad you arrived here. I think your trailer looks really good. I have been admiring it for some time now. Mine needs a lot of work, and I am doing it. I hope to have it done by spring. It will not see much asphalt, mostly dirt mountain roads. I'm really beefing up the inside, but with the idea that a willow bends and the oak breaks. I am restoring all with Olyimpic rivits. Hope it works!

Just a note on rear frame seperation. My 20 footer has a bit of it. Charlie Burke says to take off the buff strip in the back, and apply a libral amount of Vulkem to the area between the frame and shell. If anyone is interested I will post the details. Actually, that is about it.

Jim
barbwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 07:27 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Jim,

Thank you for your comments on our Minuet. My wife and I really love her. As for off the road, we have done a little dry camping with it. I sure does help being only 20 feet when you get off road!

I'm curious about your "frame separation" issue. I haven't noticed any problems with ours, but would like to know as much as possible, just incase. Would you be willing to elaborate? I'm interested in what you've got to say.

Thanks for your time.

Michael
Old 12-19-2002, 10:25 AM   #30
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Separation issue

Hi Michael - I notice Barbwire hasn't had a chance to respond yet regarding the backend separation problem. I know he will, meanwhile, I thought I would give you some food for thought on a thread that talked about the subject in some detail. I tried to connect it here, but haven't gotten the hang of how to do that yet, so the thread is called "Saggy Bottom". I understand that it is suppose to be more prevalent in longer units, but of course if a lot of weight has been added to the back of a trailer, I guess any of them are prone. My personal feeling is that too much added weight and vibration are the major cause, but there is much to be said for the other discussions on reasons why. Hope that the thread gives you some insight and I also would love to hear Barbwire's comments and repair tips. Happy Holidays, Leigh
Old 12-19-2002, 11:12 AM   #31
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Saggy Bottom

When you reply and want to link- find and copy the url of the message.

Click the 'http://' button above the message window.

First type the title or words that you want linked; hit return and in the next window paste the linked URL.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 01:42 PM   #32
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Thanks John, I should print that out for future reference!!! Time saver for sure. Leigh
Old 12-20-2002, 05:41 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Leigh,

I received your suggestion on the thread, which I will look into following this reply. Thanks for your help.

My Father-In-Law had a 31' rear bath, which was a concern for him knowing the problems others have had with the dreaded tail drooping syndrom. Luckly for him, he never had that problem and now has a 34' center bath with the tanks over the triple axles. (Pretty rough) Anyway, I thought that the frame separation issue was something else. I'll check out the thread you mentioned, but hopefully our friend responds with specific information on frame seperation. If necessary, I would like to know all I can to avoid any problems with our baby.

Again, thanks for your help Leigh.

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Michael
Old 12-22-2002, 05:50 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Hi Guys,

I have been busy with Christmas and all. You know how it goes.

I have been meaning to post an exploded view of a single axel trailer chassis. It is much newer than the Minuet, but it will give you the idea of how things fit together.

From my understanding frame seperation and sagging are two different things. Sagging will give wrinkles in the skin and I think it is caused by rusted out frames.

Seperation can be seen by standing on the rear bumper to one side. Does the bumper move away from the shell? Mine drops about a quarter of an inch. Mr. Burke says this is very mild, but unusual in such a short trailer. His Argosy had some seperation too, and he fixed it by taking off the bottom "orange" band above the bumper on the rear bottom of the trailer to get at the seperation, and shot a generous amount of Vulkem into the seperation area.

There is a PDF floating about somewhere that talks about repairing frame separation by cutting into the skin. According to Mr. Burke this is not necessary for the Argosy. Now this is all to my recollection and not a direct quote from Mr. Burke, and comes with the usual disclaimer- Use at your own risk.

The causes could be many. I may know more when I get that strip off. My Minuet had a spare tire mounted on the back for many years. Much a no-no from my browsing the forums. Rough roads are plenty around here too. From what I have read the Vulkem is incredible stuff, so things should be in top shape this spring.

It is too cold to work on the outside of the trailer now. 6*F this morning. I really don't have much more information at this time but will keep you all posted. Like the rest of you I have found an incredible number of things to learn. I will let you know when I get that chassis plan posted. Also if you find that PDF on frame seperation you will get the idea of how the u channel, floor, and frame are connected. I will look for that again too.

Thanks to all for sharing.

Merry Christmas everybody,

Jim
Old 12-22-2002, 06:16 AM   #35
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I will be interested in how the floor is attached to the frame. Below is part of the repair for separation on an Airstream trailer. Apparently the floor is laid and the body sits flat on top of it. My Argosy motor floor slides into the channel. What I am wondering is the floor in channel a motor home thing or Argosy thing?

John
Attached Images

Old 12-22-2002, 06:32 AM   #36
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
John,

I think it is a Motorhome thing. All of the pictures of chassis off frame resto on the trailers, Airstream or Argosy, the shell is attached to the floor.

I would have to assume that the diffrence in the Motorhome is due to fact that it is considered a passenger vehicle and has to be stiffer??

Let me see if I understand what you are describing.

The plywood floor is cut to shape, the u-channel is slid on the edge and fastened covering the top and bottom edge of the floor. Then the shell is reattached to the u channel via rivets

How is the U channel held to the plywood? In the trailers it is bolted down as the picture you posted shows.

This is more a matter of curiosity, I am not planning on taking on a project of the size you have!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 06:42 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Hi Guys,

I just posted a chassis exploded view for a Land Yacht in my Photo section. Charlie Burke faxed this to me after I talked to him about frame separation. It sure cleared up a lot of questions I had about the hidden structure of the trailers. He implied there is not much difference in the way most of the trailers are built.

Part # 20, the "Longitudinal tubing" may not be included in the Minuet.

Don't know a thing about Motor Homes.

Jim
Old 12-22-2002, 08:01 AM   #38
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Brett

You got it right. There are a bunch of 1/2" wood screws through the top of the extrusion into the plywood and quite few self drilling-self tapping screws through the extrusion and plywood into the tube frame.

John
Attached Images

Old 12-22-2002, 08:37 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Michael,

Great looking '66 Chevelle BTW. And some great photos on PBase. I have posted my crew members in "Photos" below. I had cookies disabled and could not post photos before.

Jim
Old 12-22-2002, 03:25 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

Barbwire,

Thanks for your follow-up. As you can see from our phots, we have the spare tire on the rear bumper. I just went out and tried the experement you suggested. No separation at all!!! I will keep an eye out from now on especially since we have weight on the bumper.

I took a look at your "crew." I love it! My wife and I, as you can tell by our photos, are dog lovers too. Life wouldn't be near as enjoyable without the companionship of our dogs. Our big dog sleeps in the truck at night and the other two sleep on either side of the dining table while we sleep on the gaucho. Perfect setup for the five of us.

Also, thank you for your compliments on our Chevelle and my photographs. I have so many hobbies, there just isn't enough time to enjoy them all fully. One of these years when I retire, I will spend the rest of my days playing every single day!!!

Merry Christmas to you and your family, (and crew of course).

Michael