Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Minuet Front Window Rock Guards

RE: Minuet Values

Greetings Barbwire!

To a large degree, I believe that we are in uncharted waters so far as the value of Argosy Minuets is concerned. It seems like interest in the Minuets has just begun to take off. I have heard some speculation that the Minuet might be the next Bambi, but I am VERY skeptical on that issue. With the Airstreams, the smaller single axle trailers, at least up until very recently, have commanded premium prices on either coast in the U.S. There seems to be a trend developing that is pushing the prices up on the larger tandem axle Vintage Airstreams, but there still seems to be a premium on the smaller trailers one either coast. Here in the Midwest, it seems that there isn't a great differential in the prices of unrestrored Airstreams of similar age and condition.

When I began restoration on my '64 Overlander in 1995, it was considered a rather chancy proposition as the larger tandem axle trailers rarely sold for more than $5,000 to $6,000 regardless of condition in my area. With restoration of that unit nearing completion, I know that my investment is more than the fair market value but the value has increased to the point that the differential isn't that unacceptable. I am approaching my Minuet in much the same way as I suspect that it will join my other long-term hobby vehicles. That is one of the reasons that I am trying to deal with the issue of a rock guard on the coach as I know replacing one of the wing windows would be costly and knowing my insurance company it would result in a battle over a proper replacement and the make-do of Lexan or similar products.

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 11:59 AM   #16
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Update on sunglasses

Ok, here is what I have so far from the local guy. Part #685275-100 is for the rock guard to cover all three windows: roadside, front and curbside. Cost here $564.22. Additional cost to install, but this is a job that can be done by a somewhat skilled mechnical enthusiast. No confirmation on info from AS tech hotline yet. That # is 877 596-6505 if anyone is inclined. I did double check with local parts man to make sure this is for Minuet and he double checked with AS, who said "yes". More to come... maybe?? Leigh

Old 11-05-2002, 01:14 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
On a related subject, what is everyone doing for lower stone guards. I've seen aluminium, stainless steel and canvas fabric. I bit the bullet for the nice smoked cover for the front window of my '75 - really nice and great quality - but now I'm trying to decide what I want on the lower front.

Aluminium or stainless would be nice but permanent, fabric would be easy to remove with snaps.

Airstream makes a nice set with hinges that are nice.

Decisions, decisions.
Old 11-06-2002, 02:54 PM   #18
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Update #2

Well, they say always get a second opinion. I finally got a call back from AS. Here is the deal. The part listed above is correct, the two side (curb/road) windows will fit without modification, but apparently the middle window must be cut down to fit the Minuet's size. Not suppose to be a big deal???, but AS said they tell customers that info because they cannot take them back and dont want to be held liable when customer finds it wont fit right off!!

Ken J
Is there an e-mail or some way to get in touch with C. Burke to see if his is a Minuet? and if so, did he do the modification and how hard was it?

We also saw the pics of M and H Willifords 6 metre Minuet on pic forum, so know theirs is correct trailer, but did they add rock guard or buy it already installed? Does anyone know? I have e-mailed them in the past but have not heard anything since Sept. Leigh
Old 11-06-2002, 04:35 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
I had the front glass tinted on my Minuet so I have one benefit of the rockguards which is the tint. The tint guy had a real challenge getting the curved ones done. They were done in 3 sections. I really wanted the real rockgards, just too steep for my blood. But I am somewhat concerned about the glass getting broke. Isn't there some kind of clear film that can be put on the glass to protect it? I think I saw something similar at a Subaru dealer, some sort of cling film that was cut to fit the glass composite headlamp units. Supposedly prevented stone chips and cracks. Maybe it can be had in larger rolls or sheets?

(Another tender spot on mine is the front bottom corners, next is mud flaps for my truck)
Old 11-06-2002, 04:57 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Charlie is the parts manager for American Way RV (an airstream dealer) in Boise Id. He is a really great guy, your welcome to tell him I sent you if that helps. Anyway his number is 1-800-345-6651
Old 11-06-2002, 05:13 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Chas,
3M produces clear film that can be cut to protect body panels on your truck. Husky produces mudflaps (not like the semi mudflaps) that blend in with the truck body whether they have the plastic trim or not. 3M sheets come with the mudflaps to keep the flaps from tearing the paint up. Check body repair shops and auto supply shops for rolls and/or sheets of the 3M clear protector. Go to www.pickuptrucks.com site and they will let you know which company manufacturers precut clear protectors for the leading edge of your hood and the light lens. I'm also wondering if the thicker stuff would protect the aluminum panels and the front glass. I'm going to say no to the alum. panels and questionable for the glass.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 07:56 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Minuet Front Window Rock Guards

RE: Second Opinion

Greetings Leigh!

You are to be commended for the footwork on this issue. Intunitively, I had suspected that the current Airstream product would be too wide for the Minuet. I thnik that I am going to try to convince my regular Airstream dealer to modify one of the rock guards for my Minuet as it is less than the cost of the deductible on my insurance and according to my information just a bit more than the cost of one of the wing windows if my information on pricing of the wing windows is correct.

I have rather large Ziebart installed mud flaps on my Suburban, and they have been effective thus far. My Cadillac on the other hand doesn't have any kind of protection behind its wheels so I don't know whether it will kick up more debris at the trailer - - I guess only time will tell - - I don't want to install mud flaps on it as it would mean drilling through some of its very expensive chrome trim. I am considering some of the guards that attach to the torque tube on the hitch for both the Suburban and Cadillac - - the ones that I have been considering at a local farm store would be easily removed for the Cadillac when it isn't towing the Argosy - - they could be left on the Suburban more or less permanently.

I am thinking that a side benefit of the rock guard will be a reduction in sun/heat damage to the draperies and upholstery. A concern that is immediately in my future as I have an appointment for an interior make-over with Fowler Interiors.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 10:38 AM   #23
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado

Ok Folks - here is a bit more info re: rock guards and Argosy front windows. I have been told that AS has just announced an increase in prices for dealers selling AS parts. The rock guard's price has not been affected yet, but that may change soon! Also, the clear wrap windows for Argosy (or newer AS models with wrap windows) has not been available for a number of years. Now it is tinted grey, so if one gets broken, that is the option from AS. Not sure about replacement cost. I have been told around $265 per window, but also heard up to $600. Those were not definite quotes, but off the top of heads.

Ken J

Thanks for the #, I think I will call and see what he can do to enlighten me on this.

It looks like quite a few more Argosy owners are coming on board the forum. The info seeking on this gets to be quite a passion!!
Leigh
Old 12-11-2002, 07:35 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Hey guys, we're back.

I'm sorry I haven't followed along for the last few months. I purchased a 66 Chevelle a couple of months ago and have been spending alot of time on it. I'll run out and get the receipt to our rockguard and post it momentarily. It sure would have helped this thread if I had been keeping up to date here. Sorry, it won't happen again. Promise!

Here is a quick look at our newest vintage hobby.

http://www.pbase.com/michaelw/1966_chevelle

Be right back!

Michael
Old 12-11-2002, 07:50 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Following is the information from our receipt for the rockguard. Now keep in mind that the rockguard was purchased in Feb. of 1998, so pricing may be off a little.

Ordered from: American Way RV Center
4033 Chinden Blvd
Boise, ID 83714
(800) 345-6651

Sku # 685275-100
$649.53 + $37.40 freight/handling

Total in 1998- $686.93

Worth every penny!!!!!!!

Any questions, please let me know.

Michael
Old 12-12-2002, 10:31 AM   #26
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
????

Hola Michael - Glad to see you got to this thread also. I notice that the part # for your rock guard is the same as I found when I researched this. Now the question is, did Charlie Burke install yours with modification? Did you do the installation yourself, with modification? Did the Rock Guard need modification? That is the big question, cause according to AS that part will work, but DOES need to be modified. It will help so much to get your input, especially if you did the modification yourself because you can probibly give more detailed instructions. This is a big purchase and I, for one, would not want to make a mistake. Thanks
Leigh

PS I also am still interested in the wider stripe painted around your lovely Argosy. Did you purchase it that way, or paint yourself?

PSS Did you see Argosy Minuet24 yet??? We have quite an interesting family of trailers now, Si????
Old 12-13-2002, 06:44 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Dear Coargosy78,

We purchased our Minuet repainted and with the rockguard on I'm sorry to say. I can tell you that the original owner told us there were slight modifications required during the installation, but he told us that it wasn't a big deal. Looking at it myself, I don't see any welding or serious modifactions. I will tell you this, the rockguard has been hit a few times (rock and road debris) and I'm sure glad to have it protecting our wrap around windows. Plus it's really nice during the day, because you can have the curtains open to enjoy the scenery and still have privacy as no one can see in while it's light out.

As for the paint, they (the original owners) had a company in Portland, which had contracts to paint buses here in the northwest and has since gone out of business, paint her for them. They chose the colors. I think they really wanted it to look like an Airstream, hence the silver paint. We would repaint it to the original cream color if it wasn't so expensive. The awning material matches the current color sceme so it would need to be replaced also.

In response to your question about Argosy Minuet24, I have found quite a few topics regarding Argosys here in the forum, which is wonderful! I felt I was about the only Argosy trailer owner here when I first joined.

We've got dinner reservations so I better get going. If you have any other questions that I may be able to answer, please let me know.

Michael
Old 12-16-2002, 07:52 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

mwilleford,

Glad you arrived here. I think your trailer looks really good. I have been admiring it for some time now. Mine needs a lot of work, and I am doing it. I hope to have it done by spring. It will not see much asphalt, mostly dirt mountain roads. I'm really beefing up the inside, but with the idea that a willow bends and the oak breaks. I am restoring all with Olyimpic rivits. Hope it works!

Just a note on rear frame seperation. My 20 footer has a bit of it. Charlie Burke says to take off the buff strip in the back, and apply a libral amount of Vulkem to the area between the frame and shell. If anyone is interested I will post the details. Actually, that is about it.

Jim