Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2008, 05:14 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
I have a H/P scanner with an auto document feeder and scanning a manual is still a nightmare of work and hassle.
I am now working on a 375 page manual.

I scan into compressed tif format as I have had trouble with PDF-Adobe.
I still have to insert only one page at a time then remove it and turn it over. I also have to manually configure the format choice and the page number (file title) onto each individual file (photo) which I save to a folder on hard drive.
I feed one page at a time into the auto doc feed, even tho it will take a stack.
It takes about 33 seconds scan time per page side. Then I remove and turn over that page.
If I had to raise the lid and position on glass and then lasso the area to be scanned it would take an inordinate amount of time. I would not put up with that.
I remove the binder comb from the manuals and scan the pages separated. Oh and after I complete the whole thing I must go back and rotate every page either clockwise or counter-c'wise. Since they scan portrait and the manuals are set up landscape orientation.
I scan to Greyscale quality as it seems to work best for me.
I save the whole thing on hard drive and also burn a couple of CDs or DVDs if size requires.

Regards to paper copies;
I did this once too. I made mistake of using regular office paper (20#). this is too light for decent use. The comb holes tear way too easy and the paper just doesn't hold up to finger oil, grime and turning much.
I would never again use less than 24# and preferably 28# or 30-32# if you can find it.
A 500 count ream of 28# is about $10 dollars.
Use glossy 67# card stock for front and rear covers and ideally heat-laminate both in heaviest laminate envelope. And do not use the comb bind, use a coil bind instead. Like a spiral notebook cept the coil is plastic not metal usually. This way you can turn the pages all the way back behind the manual. Just a better hinge system anyway. Not as prone to tear out like the rectangular comb punches.
If you do this at a Kinkos it adds up quick. But they are necessary for the punching and binding in my case. Use a commercial copier that automatically does double sided and keep your eyes on quality as it goes.
If you let them do it all check every page as they won't. They certainly won't do one by one feeds I wouldn't think.
I used the office copier (with permission..sorta).
As I said this whole process is a PITA. I would never ask anyone to send me a copy gratis. I figure at least $20 dollars for a digital and at least $40 for a paper. Plus shipping.

BTW the owners manuals are generally glue bound and must be scanned on the glass, a real PITA squared.

And I find that a boxed set of Bob Wills and Asleep at the Wheel and Hank Thompson playing randomly and continuously and the rum tonics/with orange twists being delivered really help get thru this monotonous process.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:00 PM   #22
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
thanks. opened the book and laid it flat on the glass. each page. I did not .tif. I did pdf. As it was it interfered with my work time. (scanner at work) I just cannot do as you suggest. thanks though for the info.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:41 PM   #23
Ruben

1977 Argosy 24
Monterey County , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isadora View Post
We got a manual with our 76 Argosy, I could copy it for someone for the cost of the ink, paper and postage.
Isadora-
I`d like to take you up on your offer for a copy?
Thank`s!
granaudio is offline   Reply With Quote