Old 12-19-2012, 12:57 AM   #43
1 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 24
coldwater , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
How can one company simply cover up the Argosy name and claim that it is something else? Wouldn't that be the same as Chevrolet taking the Mustang name off of a Ford and calling it a Camaro? This has to be illegal.

We need Crawford Gene to weigh in on this one.

Regardless of the apparent theft of a company trademark, your Argosy looks like a good one.
Canadians? ....no offense intended ,but that's just rude

Old 12-19-2012, 01:01 AM   #44
1 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 24
coldwater , Kansas
got the domestic fridge papers.ill get a printer and post them to you

Old 12-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Milton , Ontario
Documentation...

Thanks argosyfultim,

That would be great and thank-you for your assistane. I do have some paperwork, but the more the merrier.

My plans are to keep it original and fix what is needed and then get out there and camp.

I currently have a smaller refrigerator, which the PO installed in place of the larger RM76. So, I will keep an eye out for one of those that is hopefully in good shape.

To you and yours a Happy Holiday Season!

Chris
Old 04-16-2013, 07:14 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Milton , Ontario
Looking for Help on gaucho rebuild...

Hello Everyone,

Now that winter has lost it's grip on Ontario, Canada, and the days are getting longer and warmer, I am starting to take on various jobs that need doing.

One is to peal up the laminat flooring to actually see what condition the plywood is in. I already know that a couple of 4x8 pieces need to be replaced. Those are the ones at the back and front of the trailer.

One other is the gaucho rebuild. I have looked over 150 posts within the forums using the 'Search' function to narrow the scope. However, there is not one that gives actual dimensions along with pictures showing the detail.

What I have is the metal frame, the original piece of luan (sp?) and the front kick-board on top of the 3-drawers. The previous owner has added a piece of plywood to make a queen size bed along with the two (2) cushions to make the bed.

Hopefully, there are members here that have kept the gaucho and not turned the space into a dinnette that can share with me the dimensions and provide pictures, so that I can put everything back the way it was.

Thank-you for your time,
Chris
Old 04-20-2013, 07:01 AM   #47
WI-78ArgMin6.7

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Franklin , Wisconsin
Nice trailer...congrats! Looks like nothing but an Argosy where the dealer took the Argosy name off entire trailer and put his dealer name on (stating that they make them...not!).
Old 04-28-2013, 07:44 AM   #48
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Milton , Ontario
Starting with the laminate flooring...

Good Morning All,

My son and I spent most of yesturday lifting up the laminate flooring to reveal the many secrets that lay underneath. I must say that the Previous Owner(s) (PO) did a terrible job of laying the flooring, which left short spieces here and there.

Once everything was cleared away, we found remnants of the shag carpet and linoleum...Nice! The PO certainly was no craftsman, as seen by the picture of the butchered 2x4 holding the fridge in place.

We also found a few more weak spots in the plywood. So, all toll we have almost 4 sheets of plywood to replace, two in the back and 1-1/2 in the front.

With my sons help and the insight of many forum contributors before us, we will do a frame on restoration.

Any helpful suggestion are appreciated at this time.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2x4 front brace.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	581.2 KB
ID:	184377  
Old 04-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #49
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Milton , Ontario
How difficult was that?

Looking for advise...has anyone removed the four foot (4') 'C' channel from the rear of their trailer and then slipped the 1/2" plywood, in my case, back in and catching the side 'C' channels?

How difficult was that?

Versus, cutting the plywood in half and fitting it in from the inside...all this done with the shell-on.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1150240.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	367.6 KB
ID:	184584  
Old 05-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #50
Traveling with Terriers

1977 Argosy 28
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsgauger View Post
Hello Everyone,

One other is the gaucho rebuild. I have looked over 150 posts within the forums using the 'Search' function to narrow the scope. However, there is not one that gives actual dimensions along with pictures showing the detail.

What I have is the metal frame, the original piece of luan (sp?) and the front kick-board on top of the 3-drawers. The previous owner has added a piece of plywood to make a queen size bed along with the two (2) cushions to make the bed.

Hopefully, there are members here that have kept the gaucho and not turned the space into a dinette that can share with me the dimensions and provide pictures, so that I can put everything back the way it was.

Thank-you for your time,
Chris
I have a 1977 Argosy 28" with the original gaucho (for now!). I took some measurements of it. I did not measure the side arm thingy. Hope this is what you were looking for....

Total Length = 75"

Depth on Bottom cushion (where the butt sits) = 21.5"

Depth on Top cushion (where the back sits) = 15"

Depth on the Back Wall Part (that is kind of hidden) = 11"

The slideout board = 75" length and 21" width.

The total width with the bed fully out = 47.5"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo1.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	291.9 KB
ID:	185158   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	299.2 KB
ID:	185159  

Name:	photo5.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	282.6 KB
ID:	185160  
Traveling with DH & DS and 5 terriers.
My Blog: Argosy Traveling
Kitcatsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Milton , Ontario
Hi Kit,

This is exactly what we have been looking for. Your dimensions fall right in line with our thinking of a double bed...thank-you.

Interesting you say "...for now." What are your thoughts for something new?

Looking at your Blog, the dates mentioned look like you just purchased 'Tartaruga' in April of this year. And, are hard at making it yours (decorations). Looks good.

I notice in one of your pictures the floor looks to be in excellent shape, considering 36 years old...congratulations.

I also noticed that your power panel (115V) is between the beds, which I think is a better position than mine. It is under the one bed. I think that while I am repairing the rear floor. I will move the panel to where yours is.

Look forward to learning more, as we do a little repairs.

Thanks again for the gaucho dimensions,
Chris
Old 05-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #52
Bex
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Quote:
Looking for advise...has anyone removed the four foot (4') 'C' channel from the rear of their trailer and then slipped the 1/2" plywood, in my case, back in and catching the side 'C' channels?

How difficult was that?

Versus, cutting the plywood in half and fitting it in from the inside...all this done with the shell-on.

Chris
When I did ours, from what I remember, I thought I could do that. But you will need to drop the belly at the rear so you can access the underside of the nuts/bolts when you tie it all back together. Additionally, you might want to treat the frame on both sides for rust prevention. I also found that once unbolted, the hinge lid for the rear bumper storage slides out as well and there was significant rot there to treat (steel against aluminium). All in all I got on much quicker when I dropped the belly.

Bex

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #53
Traveling with Terriers

1977 Argosy 28
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Hi Kit,

This is exactly what we have been looking for. Your dimensions fall right in line with our thinking of a double bed...thank-you.

Interesting you say "...for now." What are your thoughts for something new?
Chris -

We are really unsure about the gaucho working out for my 10 year old son. When the gaucho is fully out, there is a wooden shelf (along the pano windows) that really makes it difficult to sleep & use all the space. He says the jack knife sofa is a torture chamber (he's pretty dramatic). Currently, he sleeps on the gaucho while made up as a sofa but give him another year or two and he will be too tall for it.

My husband wants to make a custom futon type of bed with memory foam that expands out.

We did purchase our trailer in April. Truly everything is in really great shape just poor choices of finishings. Our three major projects to complete: convert huge closet back to closet, a fix/redo for the tragic bath a d exterior paint job. The long closet was converted to bunk beds (but kept the closet doors) by the PO. The PO of the PO cut through the skin to create an outdoor shower which is ok but they took out the bathtub. The PO bought a new tub and installed unprotected wood walls around it.

It's a journey. We had been casually looking for years. Good luck with yours!
Traveling with DH & DS and 5 terriers.
My Blog: Argosy Traveling
Kitcatsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
How does the frame look? Much rust damage?

Grant

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Milton , Ontario
Frame Rust...

Hi Grant,

Pretty good actually, I am going to give you a call to see what your availability is like to take a look at things. Experienced eyes are always helpful!

I will re-enforce or replace the very back piece, as the lower edges are swiss-cheesey.

Look for a PM.

Chris
Old 05-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #56
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Milton , Ontario
Frame On Plywood Removal...

Well, we finally got sometime to take measurements for templates when it comes time to cutting the new 1/2" plywood.

I was suprised on how easily the rotten plywood came out...when everything was said and done, we removed the rear most 4x8 and 1/2 sheet with a circular saw, cleaned the 'C' channel tracks of any loose bits-n-pieces, but still have to remove a couple of elevator bolts...see pictures.

Things are pretty clean with very few weak spots, these I will reinforce with angle iron and paint everything with a rust inhibitor paint before closing it up.

Looking at the way the waste system is, I will replace the sewer connection, seeing that the nibs are broken on the end where the drain pipe fits, while the floor is up. As well, I will check the waste gates to ensure they function properly.

I'll post more on my progress, but, in the meatime if anyone has words of wisdom, please bring them forward.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rear floor left corner removed (1) (Medium).JPG
Views:	65
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	186217   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear floor right corner removed (2) (Medium).JPG
Views:	74
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	186218