Old 11-30-2012, 01:13 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Fresno/Clovis , California
Here is a picture of the area under the kitchen sink where a drawer goes. Mine was missing when I bought the Argosy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030006.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	173607  

Old 11-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger View Post
Here is a picture of the area under the kitchen sink where a drawer goes. Mine was missing when I bought the Argosy.
Hi Roger,

I might have a drawer that fits if you want one. If you're interested PM with the measurements.

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Milton , Ontario
Getting Caught Up...

Hi Guys,

Sorry, for taking so long to get back to responding. Life, grandkids, work, birthday party and Cubs, got in the way.

I took a picture of my drawer space, looks the same as Roger's. Except, I noticed a broken rail on the left side. Hopefully, this is an easy fix.

Grant, I'll see if the PO might have the drawer. If, not, I'll take you up on your offer.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1140760.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	253.4 KB
ID:	173807   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140759.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	173808  

Old 12-03-2012, 09:51 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsgauger View Post
I took a picture of my drawer space, looks the same as Roger's. Except, I noticed a broken rail on the left side. Hopefully, this is an easy fix.
I should have some of the drawer slides around as well. Haven't seen them lately, but I'm sure I kept them.

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Milton , Ontario
Lowered the rear pan...

Hi All,

While the rain stopped here in Milton, ON, for a bit, I took the opportunity to go out to where my trailer is parked and lowered the rear pan.

First let me tell you that I was suprised to see that the rear piece is only 5' or 6' at most in length (rear bumber to tank housing). As, I have read from others that it ran from front to back.

Being rusty at drilling out rivets, I tore the pan a little here than there. But it came down easily. Surprisingly there were only a few rivets that actually held the pan in place.

I didn't have the nerve to loosen the 6-8 bolts near the tank housing for fear that something would give way, so I let the pan hang, while I removed the fibreglass bats. See first picture with everything removed.

Hopefully, someone on the forum will have a service manual for the Argosy, as I found something else that surprised me...2 metal runners from the first and only cross member to the rear plate.

The metal frames and cross member look to be in good shape, which made me happy. However, the rear solid cross member is 'Swiss-cheesy' and where the rear bumper connects, needs a bit of work, see the last pictures.

It started to rain again and so I buttoned things up.

Any and all insight is welcome, especially when it comes to those metal bars extending to the rear, is appreciated.

Until next time,
Chris
Old 12-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Milton , Ontario
Opps...

Opps, I forgot to upload the pictures!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0119.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	329.3 KB
ID:	174185   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0125.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	310.0 KB
ID:	174186  

Name:	IMG_0117.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	387.4 KB
ID:	174187   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0118.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	339.4 KB
ID:	174188  

Old 12-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #35

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Apparently there's no such thing as an Argosy service manual. There are Airstream ones for those years, but there are differences between Airstreams and the manual, to say nothing of Argosies! I have one, it's a good reference for me to see how things should be done, but it's always still an investigation to relate the content in the manual to the reality in my Argosy.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Milton , Ontario
Manual versus Reality...

DKB SATX,

You are right on regarding the manual versus reality. I have a soft copy of the 1975 Airstream and it doesn't show anything like those runners.

Maybe, others have the same sort of setup?

Chris
Old 12-10-2012, 08:55 AM   #37
Bex
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Is the floor rotten? Does it need to be replaced? Ours is exactly as your's is. I tore out the floor first then realised it would have been easier had I done what you did first. I cleaned up the rusted metal as best I could then painted with a rust inhibitor. Put in new bats, re-laid the floor and bolted into place using liberal amounts of Vulkem sealer between the floor and the frame, in the bolt holes and then, when everything was tight, around the outside of the frame. Another issue is where the bumper lid is attached to the frame. Its aluminium and rots out pretty good so I painted it as well and then added more Vulkem.
Hope this helps a little. I looked for pics but remember I was so caught up in the process that I forgot to take them.

Bex

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:38 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Milton , Ontario
Hi Bex,

The rear last sheet of plywood has rot along the back and right side and my plan is to replace this 4x8 sheet. The reason I took the belly pan down, was I wanted to see what condition the cross members were in and was surprised when I didn't see as many as I thought would be there. Good to know that I, the trailer, is like someone elses.

As you suggest, the damage along the back came from the back lid and the corner damage came from the back window (I think), which the PO sealed. At least I didn't see any new water running down on the weekend.

I also have the front piece to repair, right where the water pump is, as it rot there too.

My plan is not to gut the trailer, just fix what is needed, as it is in pretty good shape. Then go camping/trailering!

Chris
Old 12-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Congrats!!! We always liked the Argosy layouts. The rear bedroom models are real nice. Enjoy the journey.

PS... Back in the 60's my dad bought a new 64 Dodge from Bell Bros in Milton. He had the roof on the all red car painted white and while we were waiting to pick the car up Mr. Bell threw the keys of his son's car to my dad. We went for a spin. It was a 64 Dodge 383/4 speed set up for the strip. Wow, what a neck snapping ride.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:24 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Milton , Ontario
Bell's...

Thanks Road Ruler,

To your PS, I play golf with one on the Bell's during the summer months. I wonder if Brian is the son of the man you speak of?

PS, Nice Pacer rebuild.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:09 PM   #41
Bex
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Quote:
Hi Bex,

and the corner damage came from the back window (I think), which the PO sealed. At least I didn't see any new water running down on the weekend.

Chris
Its likely the PO sealed it with silicone which (I never knew) is not the best product for these trailers. Get The various Vulkem sealers, and seal around the rub strips, windows, in fact, any join you see, (re)seal it!

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:54 AM   #42
1 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 24
coldwater , Kansas
Quote:
I sent an E-mail to Kustom Koach to see what I could find out about my new-to-me trailer.

This is the response that I received from their Service Advisor..."Hi chris...unfortunately there are no warranty cards or paper work we can supply..there is a repair manual that you can purchase from any rv past dept..that will help on appliance repairs etc...the company that built the unit went out of business 2 years ago.."

With it being so long ago, over 35 years, they don't have any records to help me with it's heritage.

Oh well,
Chris
looks like an argosy,smells like an argosy,you know the rest.looks like my 1972 argosy 24 but mines rear kitchen,inside looks all original which is great (keep that way)makes it more valuable so Ive been told,but if you need paperwork,i got all original papers i can copy for you,appliances paperwork let me know if you have any questions me and wife full timing two years in it,been there done that.... lol