Old 11-21-2012, 08:52 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
One time I bought a chicken that looked like a duck. It walked like a duck, quacked like a duck, and liked water, but the bill of sale said it was a chicken. I kept thinking . . . somewhere there's a farmer missing a duck.

`

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:58 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Milton , Ontario
Golden Goose...

Splitrock,

Wow, that is so true and the other side of the story is that I could have the 'Golden Goose'. You know 'The One of a Kind' article!

None the less, I am looking forward to putting this wonderful Argosy 28 (aka Kustom Koach) back on the road.

Chris
newsgauger

Old 11-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I don't Get It

How can one company simply cover up the Argosy name and claim that it is something else? Wouldn't that be the same as Chevrolet taking the Mustang name off of a Ford and calling it a Camaro? This has to be illegal.

We need Crawford Gene to weigh in on this one.

Regardless of the apparent theft of a company trademark, your Argosy looks like a good one.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:35 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Aftermath, thanks for letting me show my ignorance.

They didn't use the tradename "Argosy", so there's no problem there. They may have rebadged it and maybe there's a question of a design patent, but first you'd have to show there is a design patent and I have doubts Wally ever patented his designs. If he did, they may have expired by the time this trailer was built. But someone would have to look that up.

There could be a problem with misrepresentation or fraud if they copied Airstream's trailer and called it an Airstream or Argosy. There'd also be clear tradename infringement. But this is the reverse. How would anyone be damaged by buying a trailer with the wrong name on it? Maybe they could claim the cost of the proper badges and the labor, but the badges were left in it (or someone got them later and planned to change them?). Presumably, an Argosy badged trailer would be more valuable than the KK badge in the US, but the reverse may be true in Canada back in the '70's. Hard to have had a claim based on that back then.

Are those Argosy badges left in the trailer brand new or were they used and weathered? That may help flesh out the story.

Maybe Kustom Koach bought some Argosies and rebadged them so they'd have more product to sell in Canada. If they had permission from Airstream, no problem. It is not unusual for a US company to sell products in Canada under another name so Canadians think they made it themselves. KK could have been a distributor for Argosies in Canada. They may have made some modifications to conform to Canadian law making it easier to rebadge them. But leaving some Argosy badges in the trailer, or covering them up so badly—that is strange and maybe stupid. However doing stupid things is not unusual and provides lawyers with a steady income. But if you wanted to sell it to someone who brought it to the US, leaving the Argosy badges makes sense.

Is it also possible a dealer did this for some reason lost to time.

I'm not sure it worth the time to research this, although if I were the owner I'd start out with asking Airstream about it. It already provides some interesting stories and maybe that is good enough.

What is important is it sure looks like an Argosy even though it is titled as a KK (lucky it wasn't the Kustom Koach Kompany). Looks to be in good condition too.

Gene
Old 11-22-2012, 03:13 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsgauger View Post
<snip>an Argosy 28, built in 1976 and sold in March 1997 in Ellwood City, PA, USA. However, the brand name is Kustom Koach out of Medicine Hat Alberta, Canada…<snip>

So . . . the trailer was manufactured in 1976 by Airstream, badged as an Argosy, probably titled as an Argosy, then sold in the United States in 1997 with a Kustom Koach title?

How many legitimate reasons could there be for a title (and badge) switch?

What am I missing?

`
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:17 PM   #20
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
Or maybe it's a "draft dodger" trailer :-D
Old 11-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Milton , Ontario
Legal Chime...

Thanks Gene for your legal look at things.

As for the Argosy name plates they are weathered, like they were on the trailer for awhile.

It is unfortunate, that the original bill of sale was not with the information package, only warranty forms and other releated installation and maintenance documentation (Dometic fridge, Magic Chef stove, Armstrong air conditioner, Zip Dee awning, Suburban Heater and Attwood water heater).

As I start to clean my, opps our trailer...I just got hit by the Better Half, and take a peak under the laminate flooring to see what lies underneath. I'll keep everyone posted.

Chris
Old 11-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
As for the Argosy name plates they are weathered, like they were on the trailer for awhile.
I suspect a previous owner picked up used Argosy badges somewhere and thought about putting them on this trailer as he knew what it really was.

The alternative could be that an Argosy was sold to KK and they rebadged it to sell from their dealership. It would be difficult, but not impossible, to change the name on the title.

My, perhaps ignorant, guess is the former is more likely than the latter.

Now the trick is to find other KK's that are really Argosies. Do you have one of a kind, or one of a few? I'd check general RV websites, the VAC people and maybe there's a Canadian RV site where you may find more info. Let us know what you find out. This is an interesting mystery.

Gene
Old 11-27-2012, 07:13 AM   #23
Bex
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Perhaps it was a unit with no paperwork at all and taken in by KK as part of a deal for a new unit sale, and then KK registered it as a new (KK) unit? I am guessing they would not find it too difficult to do that, as a dealer/manufacturer.

Bex

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Fresno/Clovis , California
Quote:
Hi Splitrock,

Titled as Kustom Koach.

It makes me wonder how many others there out there just like mine?

Oh, the two (2) Argosy name plates were on a shelf.

Chris
newsgauger
Let me know if you want to sell the rear nameplate, mine is missing.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:13 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Milton , Ontario
Hi Roger,

Let me think about that for a while.

On another note, are you near enough to your trailer to take a picture of the kitchen cabinet under the sink?

I'm missing the slide out drawer and maybe more. However, I have nothing to go by and a picture would help a lot.

Thanking you in advance,
Chris
Old 11-27-2012, 09:33 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Fresno/Clovis , California
My kitchen drawer is also missing. However, the rest of the cabinet is there. I can get u a pic tomorrow if you want.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:17 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
I'm missing the slide out drawer and maybe more. However, I have nothing to go by and a picture would help a lot.
Hi Chris,

I have some Argosy/Airstream drawers, so if you find out what it should look like I might have what you need.

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:41 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Milton , Ontario
Kitchen slide-out drawer...

Thanks Grant,

I'll take measurements and a picture of the hole under the counter...this is where the slide-out drawer fits, I think.

Chris