Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2011, 01:16 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
Looking for some interior renovation advice...

We have recently purchased a 1973 Argosy26. It is in fair condition overall...the interior does need some renovating/updating. The cushions, which appear to be original are worn and we will be replacing/recovering these as needed. The carpet has been replaced at least once (judging from remnants left under some of the cabinets) we intend to redo the flooring with some laminate flooring (leftover from one of our many non-mobile-home projects).

The question we have is regarding the panels, doors and drawer fronts throughout. It appears that there is a laminated "plastic" wood-grain over most of these surfaces. Some of it is starting to peel and bubble a bit in some areas, so we would like to remove it or replace it. One thought is to just go over it, anothe is to completely replace the pieces. Looking for some thoughts and advice. Thank you in advance.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:42 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
The previous owner of my '75 Argosy did some nice work on the laminates. He didn't replace them all, as you can see in the photo below that shows a galley wall and a bedroom wall in the same shot. He removed the laminate and put nice textured wallpaper onto the wood underneath the laminate. As you can see from the close-up of one of the roof locker doors, he did a nice job of removing the edge trim before putting on the wallpaper, then replaced the trim for a very clean edge.

I'm happy with the way it turned out and it's not on my list of priorities to change it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	old_and_new.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	126916   Click image for larger version

Name:	roof_locker_door_detail.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	126917  

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:25 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
Thank you so much!

Thanks for the advice...there are some places that the PO did apply contact paper to the doors and shelves. (definately nowhere near as good of a job as your PO did) After looking around on here a bit and seeing what others have done (mostly being stunned and intimidated by the works of Boatdoc and Smokeless Joe among others)

My wife I have decided to tackle each area as it's own and "little by little" redo the panels, doors, etc... as we can. We are actually going to try to rock the Harvest Gold theme of the sink and range (would love to find a fridge to match, since the PO replaced it with a 120v Avanti "dorm fridge"). We have already done a similar thing in my house by "reusing" the '70s blue fixtures in the bathroom and giving it our own flair, down to the blue tile looking toilet lid! As I tell my wife... 'you provide the inspiration, I'll provide the perspiration'

Thanks to everyone who shares our dream and our adventure! It is so wonderful to be among a group of like-minded people!
Old 04-16-2011, 11:20 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Actually you're in luck on the fridge front... some of the more chi-chi models of RV fridges are available like high-end residential fridges, with door fronts built to take a panel to match cabinetry. So, you'd just need to find something like harvest gold Formica and put it on panels fitted for the door fronts. It won't be a cheap solution, but 95% of the cost will be the Dometic! I don't know if there are any Nova Kool or other Danfoss-based 12v electric fridges that are available with doors designed to take custom panels, but it might be something you want to look for.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If you do find an old refer, you can change the color of the door panel. I used formica that matches the counter tops.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0350R.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	978.7 KB
ID:	127704  
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote