Old 09-30-2006, 10:53 PM   #1

1976 20' Argosy 20
SPRINGVILLE , Utah
Looking for advice

I am in the process of getting a argosy 20 in pretty decent shape, but do not know much about them. I have become interested after going through this site and hearing about all of your stories. My main question is the quality of the 1976 argosy 20, I have not seen any of these on the site. I am also wondering about the value of that year and model. It is a single axle which makes me a little nervous I am in utah and most of my travels will be in the canyon on dirt roads. The trailer is dirty but everything works and all the interior in fine shape, all cushions are in good shape and all cabinets are in good shape ect. Any advice regarding this year, model and worth would be greatly apreciated.
Thank you,
Anthony Canto

Old 10-01-2006, 05:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Arrow Value of 20' Argosy

Hi Anthony; You sure gave us a loaded question. If you hate camping it is worth nothing to you. If you buy it for resale, you better make some money with it to be happy. Ending the kidding around, first you need to inspect it. If you do not have the knowledge, hire someone to do it for you. There are people within this site that will do that for you. Airstreams are purchased by a very special breed of people. Just like most of us tend to love all people, but we love our family the most. Hence, pending the condition and your taste for Airstream it is worth a whole lot. How much, you decide. Money wise, condition, condition, condition. Since we cannot look at it, we cannot appraise it. Perhaps some pic's would help to get general idea to start with. I myself would not get caught in a square box, this is why I got an Airstream. Despite knowing that I will have to spend a lot time and money overhauling it, I own one. Ever since the 1973 Argosy 26' became a member of my family, it is the love of it that causes me to work long hours at night. Couple of days ago I spent 36 hours straight working on mine taking meal breaks only. It is Sunday morning and I was at it 3 AM. Have to be home at eight because my wife expects me to be at church with her at nine. Guess where I will be at 10:30 this morning? My new Stainless Steel undercarriage frame may be done today. If you think that you will love and cherrish as the rest of us loves and cherrishes ours, inspected and go for it. Life is if you are alive and not smiling. Good luck, Anthony. Hope you join our group with 20' Argosy. "boatdoc"

Old 10-01-2006, 01:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Canyon Road Useage

It has been my experience that the Airstream and Argosy trailers are pretty rugged. They are well built and relatively easy to maintain if you are a bit handy with tools. I towed a 21' AS Globetrotter behind a 4X4 International for a number of years and spent a fair amount of time on dirt roads that were not the best in the world. The trailer faithfully went where I wanted to go, though I admit to having to sort the cabinets back out after some rough country roads. Try to protect the front end from stones and gravel with some kind of guard, be reasonable in how fast and furiously you tow on those dirt/gravel roads, be sure the axle is in good shape, and the Argosy will do you good service. They are, after all, built pretty much the same as an Airstream.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:24 PM   #4

1976 20' Argosy 20
SPRINGVILLE , Utah
Thank you both for your input. I think I will end up getting the trailer, I will be into it about 1000 dollars. Hopefully that is fair. It is good shape as far as structure is concerned.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Arrow Your 1976 Argy.

Hi Anthony; I am glad you have decided to buy it. $1000.00 is very cheap if it the structure is sound. It will be lot's of work if you decide to make it perfect. Remember this, there is no greater pleasure than to be proud of things you have done. Your towing concern will diminish when you hook it up. With proper set up of weight distributing hitch, bumps will be nearly forgotten providing that you use common sense going over them. Good luck. "boatdoc"
Old 10-03-2006, 06:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
go for it

Anthony.. Welcome to the world of Argosys... you will love them.. we are on our third... and would not switch to the siver .. had one.. once you have had those wonderful wraparound windows... you are hooked forever..

WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote