Old 07-23-2009, 10:46 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Looking at buying a 1976 28' Argosy

Hello- Just pondering and counting $$ to buy a 1976 28 foot argosy. We currently own a 1972 22' argosy. Kids are getting bigger and need to upsize or put them in a tent
Just want some thoughts on the trailer? Is it okay to tow etc? We tow our current one with our 2000 Honda Odssey van..which has an upgraded transmission to tow.
To be honest, I haven't seen inside the trailer yet. The owners are selling for $5,000 firm. Anyone have photos of a 1976 28'?
We would need to sell our 1972 argosy, not sure what the price should be? I am thinking $2,500? It is in good condition..may need a new awning, but everthing works in it- we have used it regularly. Not really sure how to go about selling this trailer? Is there a market for them?
I am in a dilemma as to what to do and just want to hear some thoughts from all the minds here
Thanks, Wade

Old 07-23-2009, 10:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Hi Wade, There is definitely a market for your trailer. List it on the classifieds section of this site. You'll have a whole group of people looking specifically for an Argosy or Airstream type trailer.
AS far as the Honda Odessy towing a 28 foot Argosy, I think the length of the trailer would cause a lot of sway with the short wheelbase and narrow track of the Odessy. You might want to upgrade to a larger tow vehicle. JM2CW (just my 2 cents worth)

visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:42 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Looking at buying a 1976 28' argosy

Greetings Wade!

The Argosy 28 has basically the same floorplan as an Airstream Ambassador of the same or similar Vintage. The scan below is of the Argosy 28 floorplan for 1976:

As you can see in the above data, the Argosy 28 has an empty weight between 4,020 and 4,370 pounds before options and fluids are added. When loaded and outfitted for a vacation, you would likely be somewhere between 5,500 and 6,000 pounds with something between 625 and 725 pounds on the hitch. I doubt very much that your current tow vehicle would be happy towing a coach of this size.

Good luck with your investigation.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:43 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Mansfield , Massachusetts
I have had a 28' Argosy for 4 years. I tow it with a 1998 Dodge Durango SUV with the Magnum engine. My first major trip was to go from eastern Mass to Pittsfield via the MA Turnpike. LOTS OF HILLS. I ended up burning out all the wheel bearings and replacing them. You can use a vehicle rated for 6000 pounds so long as you are on flat ground and don't drive fast. After I replaced the bearings I go every summer to Cape Cod and have had no further problems. You need a heavier more powerful vehicle than you have now. I contemplated getting a Dodge Ram 2500 but stuck with my Durango.
ENJOY and if you end up getting the Argosy you will love it. Mine is the rare center bath model with curved glass windows front and back!
Old 10-13-2010, 11:40 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Coos Bay , Oregon
I have a 1974 Argosy28 twin. I love it! Puled like a dream behind my Suburban when I had it. Now I pull with a 1985 e350 diesel. You definitely will want a larger tow rig. Best of luck.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:50 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Ditto on the heftier tow vehicle. I have a 76 Argosy 24 foot I pull with my Suburban. Hardly know it's back there with the towing package. Regarding the asking price for your '72, I personally think you're a bit too low if it's as in good of shape as you say. Compare yours with others on the market. Don't sell it too fast for too cheap, or you'll suffer from "seller's migraine!" Definitely a marketable unit that you have!
Old 10-28-2012, 12:19 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiisaNiemi View Post
I have had a 28' Argosy for 4 years. I tow it with a 1998 Dodge Durango SUV with the Magnum engine. My first major trip was to go from eastern Mass to Pittsfield via the MA Turnpike. LOTS OF HILLS. I ended up burning out all the wheel bearings and replacing them. You can use a vehicle rated for 6000 pounds so long as you are on flat ground and don't drive fast. After I replaced the bearings I go every summer to Cape Cod and have had no further problems. You need a heavier more powerful vehicle than you have now. I contemplated getting a Dodge Ram 2500 but stuck with my Durango.
ENJOY and if you end up getting the Argosy you will love it. Mine is the rare center bath model with curved glass windows front and back!
Hi Liisa,

Just wondering, what is the loaded hitch weight of your travel trailer? (BTW, is your trailer a center bath?). I am asking as I want to know whether it exceeds my TV's max hitch weight.

Thanks a lot!
Old 10-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Tuscola , Texas
I have a 1976 28 foot Argosy and photos too. Do you know how the interior is laid out? We have he center bath with rear twin beds and a bunk bed over one of the twins. Works great for our family.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by saburkha View Post
I have a 1976 28 foot Argosy and photos too. Do you know how the interior is laid out? We have he center bath with rear twin beds and a bunk bed over one of the twins. Works great for our family.
Nice photos! I am looking for a center bath, as it has a lower hitch weight (dry hitch weight is 405#). By any chance, have you measured your hitch weight when your trailer is fully loaded? I am curious as to whether it would be within my TV's 600# limit.

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2012, 08:26 AM   #10
Bex
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Hello there and welcome!
I think its likely that the hitch weight will exceed 600lbs. You can see from the plans posted that the dry hitch weight is 405lbs. Once you add your propane tanks, awning and some contents I cannot see how it could remain under 600. But if it did, it would likely be marginal and outside the 10/15 percent safety margin I have seen mentioned. This weight thing is something many of us agonise over prior to collecting our Argosy (I know I did). I asked so many questions and went through so many variables to get the weight to something I felt would be OK for our vehicle. All to no avail. I know nothing about your vehicle but if you are thinking borderline for towing then its likely going to do more harm than good to the vehicle and quite likely be dangerous. My 1/2 ton van was equipped with an oil cooler, new brakes, serviced bearings and pulled the trailer (also a 28 center bath) OK for 9 hr journey home. With several long, slow hills to negotiate. Would I do it again. Thats a definate NO.
FWIW

Bex

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #11
Bex
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Hmm, just noticed this thread goes back to 2009.
Note to self: Wake up before posting.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:14 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bex View Post
Hello there and welcome!
I think its likely that the hitch weight will exceed 600lbs. You can see from the plans posted that the dry hitch weight is 405lbs. Once you add your propane tanks, awning and some contents I cannot see how it could remain under 600. But if it did, it would likely be marginal and outside the 10/15 percent safety margin I have seen mentioned. This weight thing is something many of us agonise over prior to collecting our Argosy (I know I did). I asked so many questions and went through so many variables to get the weight to something I felt would be OK for our vehicle. All to no avail. I know nothing about your vehicle but if you are thinking borderline for towing then its likely going to do more harm than good to the vehicle and quite likely be dangerous. My 1/2 ton van was equipped with an oil cooler, new brakes, serviced bearings and pulled the trailer (also a 28 center bath) OK for 9 hr journey home. With several long, slow hills to negotiate. Would I do it again. Thats a definate NO.
FWIW

Bex
Thanks a lot Bex,
I suspected it would probably be more than 600# as well. My TV can tow 7500#, but its the 600# hitch weight that is the limiting factor. One more Q:
What about fresh and waste water tanks? Are they in front and add to the hitch weight?
And spare tire?
Best
Old 10-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #13
Bex
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Fresh water is as far forward as it could be without being outside the trailer! It has a 30 gallon fresh tank and is underneath/behind the sofa bed (I have heard them called a gaucho(?). The waste is behind the wheels, as I remember. That 7500 (more like 6200 for the trailer) would probably be OK on flat and reasonable inclines. Start powering up a hill though and watch the temp gauge rise. The other thing I neglected to check was the load rating on my tires. They are just SL (standard load) tires and I (in hindsight) should not have towed with them on the van, likely should not even be on the van.
So, some more food for thought.
Bex

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:37 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bex View Post
Fresh water is as far forward as it could be without being outside the trailer! It has a 30 gallon fresh tank and is underneath/behind the sofa bed (I have heard them called a gaucho(?). The waste is behind the wheels, as I remember. That 7500 (more like 6200 for the trailer) would probably be OK on flat and reasonable inclines. Start powering up a hill though and watch the temp gauge rise. The other thing I neglected to check was the load rating on my tires. They are just SL (standard load) tires and I (in hindsight) should not have towed with them on the van, likely should not even be on the van.
So, some more food for thought.
Bex
Thanks Bex!

So it seems fresh water tank alone adds 250# to the hitch weight. I guess another 60# for propane, 70# for spare tire, 90# for batter charger, and 60# for jacks brings the hitch weight to 935 (405+250+60+70+90+60), and this is before loading any personal belongings! Even if the fresh water tank is half full, with no spare tire and no jacks we are talking about 680 (405+125+60+90).

I really find the dry hitch weigh useless. I guess a good estimate for loaded hitch weight would be to double the dry hitch weight.

I am becoming more and more convinced that to tow an Airstream you really need a 1 ton truck.