Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2019, 01:40 PM   #41
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Norwalk , IA
Quick question, what size sheet did you purchase? And where did you get it from?
brettmancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:02 AM   #42

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Conroe , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewsx View Post
I removed the straight section towards the middle and about 6” of rivets from the top and bottom. Then I cut my cardboard template and trimmed the lexan to size. It took quite a bit of trial fitting with only removing a little material at a time. Once it was trimmed right it slid into place and I replaced the straight piece and rivets. A large bandsaw and belt sander made it easier than using hand tools but it could be done that way too. The lexan is fairly cheap and flexes right into place. Good luck.

Cheers,

John
Thank you!!! If you're in East Texas and in the mood to do a couple more let me know
sambrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:29 PM   #43
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Norwalk , IA
May be the easiest replacement ever

Hey fellas, I just wanted to jump in and say that Matt's advice came in handy, but I think I can add on to make it even easier.

First, get the lexan he recommended from Lowes or Home Depot. It's thin and flexible. This job takes two people, but you do not need to remove the rivets.
  • Clear out the old glass.
  • Have one person stand on the outside and the other person hold up the lexan to the hole.
  • Use a sharpie to mark out your template from the inside of the RV while your partner holds it up.
  • Measure out about 1/4"-3/8" all around your template.
  • Use tin snips to cut the template out.
  • Remove the gasket.
  • Here the path splits. You can either try to fit the gasket around your window and re-insert, or remove it entirely and use either silicone caulk or form a gasket to replace it and hold the lexan in place. I cut part of the gasket out because it was damaged, and reinstalled with 3/4 of the gasket.

You and your friend should at this point be able to fit the lexan window into the frame with a bit of elbow grease. Yeah, it takes a bit to finagle it into place. A putty knife helped a lot. I strongly recommend you use one.
  • Once in place, remove the film that was protecting the lexan. It takes patience, but leaving it on while you insert the Lexan ensures it doesn't get scratched.
  • Caulk your lexan into place with a very thin bead of caulk. Patience and practice is key.
  • Let it dry and enjoy the day.

Should only take a few hours if you follow this process. Images linked.

https://imgur.com/WpVMIZq
https://imgur.com/XOwJICN
https://imgur.com/o1lAPjF
https://imgur.com/w5vvaWw
brettmancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:39 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Harper Woods , Michigan
I would avoid the use of silicone caulks. Many of them eventually peel away from most surfaces (except where you don't want it, it seems). I would use the adhesive/caulk that the polycarbonate glazing manufacturer recommends, or use SikaFlex 221 or Lexel. Lexel is crystal clear and very flexible, and can be filleted with a soapy tool or better yet a finger (don't wear gloves, btw).
Bob Blarney is offline   Reply With Quote