Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #1

1974 Argosy 22
Hope , Arkansas
Question Lexan Window Replacement

Hello All

Getting ready to restore a 1974 Argosy 22. We are new to the trailer world and found a lot of information in the forums. Our front & rear center flat windows are missing and one wrap around. Found some post about Lexan but nothing with correct thickness, cutting the wrap around etc.. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
Ksweesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Lexan Window Replacement

Greetings Ksweesy!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Argosy ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksweesy View Post
Hello All

Getting ready to restore a 1974 Argosy 22. We are new to the trailer world and found a lot of information in the forums. Our front & rear center flat windows are missing and one wrap around. Found some post about Lexan but nothing with correct thickness, cutting the wrap around etc.. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
The center window is flat, and would likely be about the same cost as Lexan . . . unless you are missing the frame that the glass fits into. The deep wrap wing window is another thing entirely. I don't believe that I have read of anyone using acrylic except as a short-term fix while waiting for a glass wing window to arrive.

You might want to try asking this question in a thread with a name that will register with Forum members who may have done what you are considering. . . . .Lexan for Panoramic Wing Window Replacement?

I know that ithe less severely curved wing windows on the 1970s Airstreams are often replaced with acrylics . . . but they have far less of a bow than the Panoramic windows.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
Cecelia

1976 Argosy 22
New London , Connecticut
I don't have anything helpful to add, just wanted to say congrats on your Argosy!
Sorry to be Debbie Downer, but I've not come across anyone on here replacing the pano with Lexan. The windows available from the manufacturer are smoked glass, not clear, but you probably already know that. Good luck, and I'll be interested to know what you come up with.
ccbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
The Spartan trailers use Lexan for their curved windows so I know it's possible, but I have yet to replace my spartan windows. I would think that it would look quiet different than the opposite side. My 1974 Safari has double pane windows, does yours? That might present it's own issues. Have you checked on getting a glass replacement?
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The flat windows can simply be replaced with double strength plane glass for a low cost. If you want them stronger you can buy tempered glass for a little more money. The really bent pano windows can be made from Lexan Polycarbonate by slump forming. it involves using 1/8 inch PolyCarobonate and dry it by raising the temperature to 200 F for a couple hours to dry it out. Then raise the temperature to 375 degrees F and bending it around a wood form to give it the right shape. Use the exterior grade lexan they use for green houses as it contains a UV resistance additive.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
The flat windows can simply be replaced with double strength plane glass for a low cost. If you want them stronger you can buy tempered glass for a little more money. The really bent pano windows can be made from Lexan Polycarbonate by slump forming. it involves using 1/8 inch PolyCarobonate and dry it by raising the temperature to 200 F for a couple hours to dry it out. Then raise the temperature to 375 degrees F and bending it around a wood form to give it the right shape. Use the exterior grade lexan they use for green houses as it contains a UV resistance additive.
This is interesting. Does one use a large oven?
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
Cecelia

1976 Argosy 22
New London , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksweesy View Post
Hello All

I found a thread discussing this problem...seems someone did fit Lexan to the panoramic window. Maybe you could send a message, see how he did it?
The thread is here.
edit: ooops, I see someone beat me to it.
ccbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #8
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Hello there, and welcome!
Our drivers side curved window was replaced by the PO with Lexan or Polycarb, I don't know which. It leaked a little but I scraped out the silicone and replaced with Vulkem and its watertight now. I have read somewhere that they can blow out but I am not aware of that happening, certainly on the 9 hr trip we made getting home, ours was fine. I would suggest cutting a template with poster board or something perhaps a little more rigid. There is info about how to heat form Lexan to create the correct curve but that would be needed only if you go quite thick I would think, If you want the info, PM me your email add and I will send it to you ( or anyone else for that matter). I have bought a sheet of 1/8" Lexan and intend to make a stone guard for the front wrap windows, not yet sure how I am going to achieve it but I will figure it out I guess.

Bex

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:50 PM   #9

1974 Argosy 22
Hope , Arkansas
Thanks to all
PM'd the gentleman in one of the earlier post. He said Lexan worked great for him. He's going to send me some info & pics.. I tried sending him my email but new members aren't allowed to send that.?.?
Old 01-10-2015, 09:07 AM   #10

1975 Argosy 24
Mt Pleasant , Tennessee
Did you ever get pics of the Lexan window replacement? If so, could you either post them or send them to me? Thanks
MgKnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:53 AM   #11

1974 Argosy 22
Hope , Arkansas
No I never received any pics. I didn't ever get my email working. Getting ready to start working on my Argosy again though so I'll be back in the forums again. It got put on the back burner for quiet some time

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 04-02-2017, 12:09 PM   #12

1973 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Thumbs up Lexan Works so far

I replaced my curved passenger side with Lexan as I am slowly remodeling and so far so good. Not perfect but is a good temporary fix until I can find an original window or hit the lottery and buy 2 new curved tinted windows.

73 Argosy - 24ft
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4092.jpg
Views:	1214
Size:	405.1 KB
ID:	282572   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4094.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	578.0 KB
ID:	282573  

jarjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:27 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
Great job on the windows. It looks perfect. Looks like a permanent fix to me. Did you heat it up to get the curve?
Old 04-05-2017, 06:51 AM   #14

1973 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Hi Matt, thanks.
No, I did not have to heat it. Lexan is really flexible. I even tested the replacement it with a cheaper piece of Plexi (a sheet of Lexan is about 50-75 bucks) and that made the curve too. The Lexan is working well and no leaks so far.
jarjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:00 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
What the heck, it works for 200 MPH race cars. Should work for a 60 MPH trailer.
Nice clean install.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:22 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
My Overlander came to me with a flat sheet of Plexi in the front window. After 6 years of owning it I am going to replace it with Lexan. Glass may be cheaper but the Lexan won't break. I only had a leak once with the plexi in a very strong rain storm we had to drive through. Lowes carries the Lexan.
I used 3m trim seal to glue in a side window to the aluminum, that stuff works great and is easy to use.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:38 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Lexan source

Besides Lowe's, another great source for Lexan is Aircraft Spruce. They have a wide variety of thicknesses and sizes.

Just be careful cleaning. Both Lexan and Plexi scratch easily.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:05 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Use UV resistant lean. Otherwise it will yellow after a few years.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:30 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Me too

Glass front window on my 67 Overlander shattered during the delivery (while being towed by the PO). Replaced with 1/8" Lexan so no need for a rock guard. Works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC front viewR.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	282750  
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:21 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I like that..also your external AC unit.
could you measure the Lexan and let me know the size? My current plexi was badly cut and hard to tell the correct measurements.
Thanks
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote