Old 08-18-2004, 08:40 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
Leveling Bars?

We purchased a 77 24' Argosy. We love it and Thanks to Kevin the trailor breaks work now. Next question........
Is there a need for the cumbersome leveling bars on newer trucks?
We have a 2004 Duramax with the tow package.
Thanx in advance.
The Bohners

77 24' side Door Argosy
2004 2500 Duramax Silverado

The Bohners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 09:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas

I have the same truck and I towed my trailer home the first time without the bars installed. I very definitely needed them. I think that anything bigger than a Bambi needs them.

I don't understand why you think they are "cumbersome". They add all of two minutes to a hookup and pay back handsomely in better towing.

John W. Irwin
2005 Classic 28 "Sabre-Dog III"
2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 09:52 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Leveling Bars?

Greetings The Bohners!

I agree with Pahaska, even with my 3,100 gross weight Minuet 6.0 Metre and the '99 K2500 Suburban I still use the complete Reese Strait-Line hitch system including the Dual Cam Sway Control. The linkage provided by the weight distribution system does make a perceptible difference in the stability of the lashup.

Good luck with your Argosy 24!

P.S.: You will want to be certain to obtain a drawbar with sufficient drop to insure a level towing stance for your towing combination. If you happen to have 4-wheel-drive, the drop needed can be significant - - my K2500 Suburban takes the greatest drop that is commonly available from Reese dealers.
Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 10:54 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member
Leveling Bars

Maybe i haven't paid much attention to trailering until now but I have not noticed these on newer trailers. We appreciate your replies.......
Old 08-19-2004, 06:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master
1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Originally Posted by The Bohners
Maybe i haven't paid much attention to trailering until now but I have not noticed these on newer trailers. We appreciate your replies.......
I have never seen weight distributing bars installed on a new trailer of any size. This does not mean the bars are not needed but merely the customer has yet to purchase them.

Part of the salesperson's game is to hook you on a price for the trailer, then start adding the other items necessary for safe and/or comfortable operation. Weight distributing bars & sway control fall into this category.

If you have seen used, larger travel trailers without them, it implies the previous owner did not know (or care) the bars were needed for safe operation. Or, the setup might have been removed for service on another trailer.

I believe 99% of the forum members who are familiar with this topic will agree that a weight distributing hitch & anti-sway is necessary for a 24' Argosy.

TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 06:55 AM   #6
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Agree with all. The bar attachments are rarely, if ever installed on new coaches. That means nothing. It is true that larger trucks by the look might not need them, however, they do help in more ways than just leveling out the coach. They add rigidity to the connection. Cumbersome? Not any more than it takes to line up the hitch ball and raise and lower onto it.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 09:22 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Cumbersome was a very poor wording choice on my Part. Thank you all for the kind advice. We are still green to the tailoring word, this site has proved to be the best resource for us and we appreciate everyone sharing their expertise.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:15 AM   #8
Rivet Master
1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
The one thing you will find on this site without fail is that everybody errors on the side of safety. My 3/4 ton Sububan squats 1 inch with toungq weigh of our coach and you wont catch me ever going more the 10-15 mph without those bars. The WD system when properly adjusted will help with sway. The Trunion is tilted at an angle so the bars when under tension want to move away form each other. So as the trailer starts to sway they will counter to some extent. You may need adition sway control above and beyond that but every little bit helps and many sway controls the bars are uses as part of the sway control. This includes the Reese Dual cam and a few others. So it is as much a safety issue as anything.

1959 22' Caravanner
1988 R20 454 Suburban.
Atlanta, GA
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote