Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2014, 08:18 PM   #1

Cincinnati , Ohio
leaky leaky leaky

Hi everyone!
My parents recently bought a 87 Argosy (30' I believe) to use a weekend camper. When they bought it, the guy swore up and down that it was "solid" but as my title implies- its like a sieve. My dad tore out the front and now is waiting for the weather to warm up so he can work on fixing the joints where water is just running in. I've been trying to help them out, so I started cleaning the rest of it, but noticed that a lot of wall panels are different and oddly mix matched and a lot of them have warped edges and corners. I removed the twin bed on the right side and pulled up an edge of the flooring and it was all damp and moldy. Its also shows a lot of warping in the closet as well along the left side near the top. I'm guessing that essentially the entire inside needs to be gutted due to the mold. Is there anything I need to know before starting this? Has anyone ever had super leaky seams around the awning and everywhere else in general? My dad thinks that the seams have to be fixed from the outside, but does there need to be any kind of seal from the inside as well?
Thanks!
Zellia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
You should be able to stop the leaks from the outside. Is your Argosy a square type or a rounded endcap type? I'm assuming it's a cream color. If it is, you can get clear Parbond for the seams. Tempro is usually recommended for a sealant, but it is grey in color. DO NOT USE SILICONE! First fix all the leaks, then tackle the flooring. Some pictures would be helpful for people to chime in to help you out. It can be fixed, but it will take you some time! Nice you're helping your dad out :-)

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:07 PM   #3

Cincinnati , Ohio
Thanks! I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post them. I know that the interior walls are kind of rounded, but to be honest, I don't really know about the exterior. I'll post more info in the morning!
Zellia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Trempro 635 is available in white. Search the Argosy forums for caulking and you'll figure out how to caulk the seams - they all need to be cleaned then caulked. Also caulk on the top of the belly band and all the windows. It's time consuming but pretty easy once you get the hang of it. As far as mold is concerned, you need to get everything dried out. You may have some rot and frame rust problems since it sounds like leaks have been ongoing for a while.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Good to know that tempro comes in white! I live in a silver world. Lol!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
If it is an '87 Argosy it is the "Squaresream" one, not the rounded all metal exterior ones made from '73 to '78. They use an entirely different construction, much more like the box trailers. From what I have read, they are notorious for serious leaks, and the sides and roof delaminate. I inspected an Arizona one for a friend, and although it was not moldy, and was dry inside, one could tell it had leaked a lot. Interior panels were warped and the wall covering was coming off, and they had tried to cover the damage with paint. I had my friend pass on that one.

So, unless someone here has a "Squarestream" type Argosy, normal Airstream/Argosy leak advice is not very applicable. I think you are in for a very difficult problem.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:44 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
Alamogordo , New Mexico
Hey idroba.. I have a '72 Argosy, and I'm pretty sure that's when they started making them.
BentMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 05:08 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Monroe , North Carolina
Hi,
Did you ever get your leaks fixed and was it the square type Airstream…..? I am finding out that I have the same issues… Ughhh…..
Thanks
C
Chiquita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 05:25 AM   #9

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiquita View Post
Hi,
Did you ever get your leaks fixed and was it the square type Airstream…..? I am finding out that I have the same issues… Ughhh…..
Thanks
C
Her last dated activity here was January 28, 2014. Perhaps she will check in and update us.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote