Old 08-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Shepherdsville , Kentucky
Leaking waste valve

The waste valve on my 73 Argosy 22 is leaking. I believe it is the original one and I need to change it. I haven't tore into it yet because I thought I better find out how to do it before I start. I think it's a Thetford but am not sure. Did they use any other brands in 73? If anyone has done this please let me know the process. Thank you, Tom

Old 08-21-2013, 06:22 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Cedartown , Georgia
Sorry I can't be of any more help than this...I thought my valve might have been leaking but it's actually not. Though a lot of research on this forum led me to the info that the valves can be also just be sticking and thus not closing all the way. My suggestion would be to be really sure that it does need to be replaced by doing more investigation. Good luck

Old 08-21-2013, 07:16 AM   #3
Bex
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
I agree with 247stream. I had the same issue, turned out to be not fully operational and I guess over time, solids had built up on the gate and prevented it from fully closing. There is a thread that shows what has been done to fix it and includes info on cutting an inspection panel out of the belly pan (mine was already there but I made it bigger). I filled mine up with a mild detergent/disinfectant mix and let it just dribble out, then I started working the open/close. It got easier then after a couple more rinses it completely shut.

Bex

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:36 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll take your advice and try to clean it first. ....Tom
Old 08-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Another thing to check is the shaft from the handle to the valve. If the shaft goes through the aluminum body and the previous owner hasn't closed the valve completely, vibration from travel wears a groove in the shaft that stops the valve from closing until the shaft is lifted out of the groove. If the valve is leaking and you can't stop it, I think you can get a rebuild kit from a supplier like Inland. If the rebuild works, it saves you a bunch of cutting and fitting pipe to get the drain back together.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida
I was having a the same problem with the gray water valve. It would drip over time and when I removed the cap there would be about a cup of water accumulated in the pipe. Not nice, after deliberation I installed an external vale in place of the cap. Problem temporarily solved!! I will try the detergent oil etc., I will clean it
some other time. Works for me. Cost about $20.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I carry a small bucket to set under the discharge pipe to catch any small leaks.
Before I replaced a leaking black water valve which dripped about a cup of BW a day. I used "puppy" training pads to absorb the drip. Replacement was required about once a week.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:52 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
It's almost certainly a Thetford, and Thetford is phasing out production of the valves, although I think you can still buy them. You can also buy the kits to re-build them. If you do a re-build make sure to get the right kit. Some valves had plastic covers and some had stainless steel covers - both take different kits. I was just going to convert to Valterra but with the way my system is set up I would have had to take out the toilet and install new stuff for everything south of that, including the black water tank. You may be more fortunate.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
I tore into it this morning and found a bad gasket and also found several small cracks in the flange of the black water tank. I'm not going to pull the tank right now. I have some glue that's guaranteed to glue anything to anything so I'm going to try it for now. Tom
Old 08-26-2013, 05:20 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Cedartown , Georgia
there's nothing wrong with temporary fixes so do let us know how that glue works out and if it works well what glue it is!

got any pics of the 'tear into' you did?
Old 08-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Good luck with the glue, but don't bet on it. I was told by the service folks that welding the tank worked, but the life of the repair was short. A new tank was the answer. This type of repair wasn't difficult, but it took time and patience. While in there I replaced the valve and rebuilt the outlet just to be sure I wouldn't have to do it again. The new tank was an Inka plastic tank built to spec and MUCH better than the old tank ever was.