Old 05-14-2010, 08:33 AM   #1
Clatskanie , Oregon
Just bought it! '78 Argosy

Well, I bought an I am having heart palpitations over the refurb
I purchased this 30ft gem off of CL. It needs a section of sub floor replaced, a refer, and a whole lot of "going through" and checking things before I know what else it needs.
I originally set out to find a 5th wheel to park and live in at school next fall, but I came across this baby instead. Definitely not what I had planned, but it was 1000's cheaper than the fifth wheels I was looking at and I could not pass it up. Of course being a broke college student, I will be doing the restore myself and any words of wisdom from all of you knowledgeable gentleman/scholars would be greatly appreciated!!

I have been looking at the fantastic paint jobs some of you have posted of your Argosy trailers, I love it! I am hatching a plan as we, but I have a long road ahead before I can think about that.
My extremely optimistic plan is to restore this trailer over the next 4 months and live in it at school starting the last week of September.....eeek. Maybe it will even become my mobile office after I graduate from vet school I really like these little smily buttons...they're great! I am located near Astoria Oregon if anyone out here is up for a brain picking! I will make dinner!
1974 30 foot Argosy Airstream Trailer

jtussing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:21 AM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
1973 Avion Travelcader 25' , ...
Congrats on the Argy and welcome.

Don't let the idea of refurbishment deter you there are plenty here facing similar challenges. There are also many willing to offer assistance wherre possible.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member
1975 Argosy 24
West Linn , Oregon
Congratulations! We were just looking at that ad yesterday. I'm glad to see someone bought it who wants to fix it up. Nice layout - it looks like the shower would be a lot easier to use than the one in our 24'.

There are some wonderful people on the Forums who would be happy to inspect it for you & give you a better idea of what needs to be fixed, and in what order of importance. Go to the Portal home page and look on the right side for the area "Airstream Inspectors" to search for one. Otherwise, there are many great threads on here that you'll find helpful.

Good luck, and please post pictures of your progress!
Sean & Sharon
AIR #: 27389
TAC #: OR-3
sharbours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:32 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member
1978 Argosy 27
Lacey , Washington
'78 Argosy and not a "74

Congrats to you. We did what you are beginning to do. We own a '78 27' that needed work, the old, gold rug came out and all the gauchos were tossed due to the once infestation of mice. ( my wife just about came unglued when we discovered that). Always take a flashlight with you and do not trust what the owner says "no, no animals have ever lived in the trailer" All is clean now, I had good flooring (lucky us) but after over 30 yrs of aging the plywood had an odor so we found that "Bins" sealer is the thing to use. We are having the "beast" painted currently and it should be out of the shop by the end of this next week. We are going to Wyoming the end of June 010 so we have last minute things to do before the trip. Make the rehab an enjoyable experience and good luck. How long do you have before you graduate from Vets school?
jjustice is offline   Reply With Quote