Old 07-30-2013, 08:39 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Guelph , Ontario
Just bought a '75 Argosy 24'

Hi everyone!! The search is over and we bought our first trailer ever!! She needs a lot of tlc but willing to put in the time. First thing I want to tackle is the roof leak(s). There has been some patching around the roof vents but it is for sure leaking at the tv antenna.(I saw it coming through when it rained) What is the best material to use on the roof for patching? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Steve

Old 07-30-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelmac View Post
Hi everyone!! The search is over and we bought our first trailer ever!! She needs a lot of tlc but willing to put in the time. First thing I want to tackle is the roof leak(s). There has been some patching around the roof vents but it is for sure leaking at the tv antenna.(I saw it coming through when it rained) What is the best material to use on the roof for patching? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Steve
Pictures would help, of the trailer inside and out as well as the roof area.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Cedartown , Georgia
Welcome Steve and congratulations! I can't say which is the best sealant but know that sikaflex and trempro are the 2 biggies of choice with some differences between the two that I can't say (though I'm sure someone else will chime in) however, before you can reseal anything you have to unseal what you have. pics would help because I don't know if your roof has a rubber coating over the whole thing or if what you describe is localized. if it's localized and you have a place to work under for weather protection you may as well start getting rid of what is there as that tends to be a job in itself. give us more info and more help will being showing up along the way.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
Bex
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Hey there! Welcome to the forum.
When I sealed ours, I got Vulkem. Since then I have also used a product called Big Stretch which is available at Rona and it appears to have held up pretty well through a couple of Alberta winters. Stay away from silicone, I read that its not a good companion to aluminium. I ran a bead around the plate that anchors the antenna, and whilst I was up there I also ran a thin bead along the seems that I could find. Additionally I filled the area surrounding the antenna cable and where it enters the roof.
A word of advice about the leaks. They do not always come from where you think they do. I had a trickle of water coming down the interior passenger side front window and sealed and resealed everything obvious. I had the marker lights off as well and sealed them. Turned out to be a very small part of the seal around one of the markers that I had not sealed well enough where the wires entered the end cap. Just an FYI.
You will likely want to renew all the gaskets on the roof vents too. When you do, seal them with caulking as well.

Cheers for now

Bex

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Welcome to the forums Steve.
24 ft is a great size.

Dan
Old 07-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #6

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Welcome! It's always good to see more Argosy owners joining. Our '75 Argosy24 has been a great trailer and really got us hooked on Airstreaming.

The leaky antenna thing seems to be a common problem, I see lots of trailers where the antenna has been removed to "solve" the leaking, including both our Argosy24 and the newly-acquired Argosy28 rear-bedroom. I don't know if the mechanism itself can leak, or if it's just an issue of sealing around the base of the antenna with one of the products already recommended. Since I have nothing at all, I'm planning to install a "JACK" antenna system that I don't have to raise and lower, and replace the 300 ohm twin-lead inside with coax.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Milton , Ontario
Mulco supra expert...

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forums!

You will find that being an Argosy owner, you have become part of the family here.

As for sealants, I went to our local lumber yard and picked up MULCO Supra Expert in a cream colour...nice match to our 1976 28'.

I like this product because it is a themoplastic rubber base sealant and can stretch without breaking.

Cost was reasonable at $5.60 a tube.

Oh, and based on the town/city that you have listed...you are just down the road from me.

Good Luck and look forward to seeing pictures of your 'new-to-me' trailer!
Chris
Old 08-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
In case anyone is interested, I just saw a 28' Argosy for sale in the Arkansas Democrat Sunday classified ads - price was $2,850. Not bad, eh? Says everything works - but y'all know how that is. 501-337-9730, but I have not looked at it and know nothing except I saw it in the paper.

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Guelph , Ontario
Thanks everyone!! Working on the pics. The antenna had to go and the bathroom vent/motor was beyond repair. Temporary patches for now. Stopped those leaks for now. Now it's on to resealing the front windows and door and any other gap i see lol. Then i guess it is the belly pan ( Fun fun!!!
Old 08-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Guelph , Ontario
pics

See if this works lol. i am a newbie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0248.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	305.7 KB
ID:	192702   Click image for larger version