Old 05-20-2009, 01:46 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Portland , Oregon
Just bought a 1978 28' Argosy

I took the plunge and paid $2,500 for a 1978 28' Argosytrailer yesterday. Towed it successfully to a relative's in Portland, and will take it to S. Oregon next week, where it will be a guest house at the in-laws', but is also road legal. It needs a clean but the essentials all work.
It will need a furnace tune up and some new curtains and accordion doors. If anyone knows the best place for parts, please let me know. The original benches would be nice too, but I'm not a restorer. I'll post some pix in 10 days. I'd love to make contact with Argosy fans.
Joseph

Old 05-20-2009, 04:08 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Joseph!

Welcome to the world of Vintage Argosy ownership!

I am partial to the 1978 models, but that is partly because I own one myself. Basically, any source suggested for Airstream parts will likely also have parts for Argosy as most were from the same parts bins. For many of the Airstream and Argosy specific parts, Inland RV is a good resource as is Vintage Trailer Supply (both of these vendors have a strong web presence). There are also several other long-time Airstream dealers and Service Centers that can be quite helpful including (but not limited to): Ace Fogdall RV (Cedar Falls, Iowa); Bill Thomas RV (St. Louis, MO); C & G Trailer Service (Bellflower, CA); etc.

By original benches, I am not certain what you mean. The lounge found below the front window? The pull-out lounge found in the center (if it is a double-bed floorplan)? The dinette seating in front (if it has the dinette option)? In any event, each of those components was basically built at the Argosy factory and with the necessary photos could be replicated with few complications by someone handy with woodworking. If you are referring to the center twin beds (twin-bed model), they utilize a modified twin-bed mattress that is not too expensive to have reproduced by one of the many cutom mattress builders found in most metorpolitan areas.

Good luck with your coach! Don't be afraid to ask any questions -- there are several of us on the Forums with Argosy products and there are few problems that someone else has not experienced.

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Portland , Oregon
Argosy 28'

Thanks for the kind words, Kevin.
My immediate needs are a pop up valve (whatever that is!) to stop a leak at the rear when the water is being fed in from a garden hose. And a tune up for the furnace which "runs too hot" according to the seller. (Hopefully not a new furnace.)
I'll start with Inland RV since that guy has already made contact.

This model has a space at the front where the water tank is which once had seating. The fold down table is next to the sink, not under the main front window - it may have been moved. Anyway, I suspect it originally had two little padded benches and a table between them that folded down to the bridge the gap at night. We are 4 so it'd be nice to eat together and sit around playing games.

The bathroom is in the middle and the rear bedroom has also lost its original bedding. Now it has a nasty sheet of particleboard on 2x4s for a queen bed. But you are right, a carpenter could reproduce them, and I have a CD of the manual on its way from eBay.

I'll post photos as I can, and thanks again for your help.
Joseph, Portland OR.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:10 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Greetings Joseph!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegal View Post
My immediate needs are a pop up valve (whatever that is!) to stop a leak at the rear when the water is being fed in from a garden hose. And a tune up for the furnace which "runs too hot" according to the seller. (Hopefully not a new furnace.)
What you are looking for is more commonly referred to as a pressure regulator. Not all RV manufacturers used these, but Airstream did. It is a brass fixture that is about 1" round and slightly less than 2" tall and has what looks like a bell with a screw in the center on top. You can see one of these at:

Watts Water Pressure Regulators

It sounds like yours went into what seems to be the more common failure mode water bypassing the unit and flowing out the bypass port -- the one on my Minuet stopped all water flow to the trailer when it failed.

Quote:
This model has a space at the front where the water tank is which once had seating. The fold down table is next to the sink, not under the main front window - it may have been moved. Anyway, I suspect it originally had two little padded benches and a table between them that folded down to the bridge the gap at night. We are 4 so it'd be nice to eat together and sit around playing games.
The side mounted table indicates a front lounge model, and the table was referred to as a Credenza table that likely has three leaves and will extend across virtually the entire width of the coach. With this model, up to three would sit on the lounge (front sofa) while an additional three could sit on Leg-O-Matic chairs along the opposite side of the table.

Quote:
The bathroom is in the middle and the rear bedroom has also lost its original bedding. Now it has a nasty sheet of particleboard on 2x4s for a queen bed. But you are right, a carpenter could reproduce them, and I have a CD of the manual on its way from eBay.
This is something that you may need to confirm with another owner of a similar coach because I have never personally seen the arrangement on the rear bedroom models. My notes indicate that the double bed would have been on a fairly simple box platform. The mattress would then have been mounted to a plywood base with hydraulic suports that allowed the mattress to be raised to acess the boxed in area for storage.

Good luck with your new coach -- I am sure that you will enjoy the floorplan!

Kevin
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
Old 05-21-2009, 11:25 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Portland , Oregon
Thanks for the valve info Kevin.
RE the rear bedroom, the seller said originally it had twin beds, one on each side, separated by a gap. It'd be cool to build two, little bunk beds for the kids back there, but then we'd have to sleep up front. Haven't made that decision yet.
Joseph
Old 05-22-2009, 08:31 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Joseph!

Quote:
Thanks for the valve info Kevin.
RE the rear bedroom, the seller said originally it had twin beds, one on each side, separated by a gap. It'd be cool to build two, little bunk beds for the kids back there, but then we'd have to sleep up front. Haven't made that decision yet.
Joseph
The twin beds were built-in against the exterior walls (custom curved-end mattresses were utilized). I am not certain which method to access the available storage below the beds was used in 1978. One method utilized plastic drawer/tubs and a long cabinet door. The second method used pull-out drawers.

While bunk-beds were not offered in the rear bedroom Argosy coaches, they were offered in the rear bedroom Argosy motorhomes. One of the challenges with the rear bedroom Argosys is the deep-wrap wing windows -- this feature makes locating necessary supports a big obstacle. I believe the installation used in the motorhomes utilized aircraft cable attached to ceiling bows to support the bunk-beds (I haven't seen weight ratings for these bunks).

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 05-23-2009, 12:58 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Portland , Oregon
Good info once again Kevin. I like the sound of bunks suspended by wires.
As for the water valve, I sourced it locally to Meshers Supply off Stark Street (503 236 4148). The Watts are $86.91 for the half inch and $102.91 for the three quarter. Does this sound right? (The seller said it was plastic, not brass, and would cost around $30, but he's not completely reliable). Anway, I won't get to take it apart for another week, but it'd be nice to get the part before then: do you know what size it would be?
Thanks.
Have a great Memorial Day weekend.
Joseph
Old 05-23-2009, 09:07 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Joseph!

With Airstream or Argosy it can be dangerous to assume anything. The valve in my '78 Minuet is 1/2" -- but as a distinct light-weight series, I am hesitant to say that the same valve was used throughout the line -- it would make sense intuitively. Running changes were common in both lines, and there could be differences between coaches produced in the Versailles, OH factory and the California plant.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 08-12-2009, 06:38 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 Argosy 28
Chambersburg , Pennsylvania
I recently saw an Argosy brochure in one of the threads that indicated the rear double or twin had a wrap around window similiar to the front window. Several of the posts in this thread also indicate a rear wrap around window. Does your unit have such a rear window? I've wondered if that was just a brochure feature that never was produced.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:38 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
Welcome aboard!

I have the front gaucho with the credenza table. I have one pic on here after we put the new curtains in. The table is out (up), but not folded out. I was using it to have several cups of coffee while I, uh, hung the curtains (while watching TV).......had to make it last a while!

Mines a 7.3 metre (24 ft), rear bath, mid bedroom and living area up front.

Good luck with yours, we love ours

Al
Old 08-12-2009, 09:42 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Al's cousin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al's cousin View Post
I recently saw an Argosy brochure in one of the threads that indicated the rear double or twin had a wrap around window similiar to the front window. Several of the posts in this thread also indicate a rear wrap around window. Does your unit have such a rear window? I've wondered if that was just a brochure feature that never was produced.
Every rear bedroom Argosy travel trailer that I have encountered has had the deep-wrap wing windows as standard. I haven't found any mention that the deep-wrap wing windows were anything but a standard feature on the rear bedroom models, and I haven't found any evidence of a "delete-option" for the rear deep-wrap wing windows -- that isn't to say that a coach may not have been made without the deep-wrap wing windows to mee a special order by a customer (this type of "special order" was less prevalent with Argosy than Airstream coaches of the period).

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 08-13-2009, 04:53 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Portland , Oregon
Yes ours has wrap around windows front and rear.
Joseph
Old 08-13-2009, 07:43 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 Argosy 28
Chambersburg , Pennsylvania
Thanks for confirming the rear double/single bed were indeed produced with the deep wrap wing windows. I've been lurking and watching Airstreams for 4 years but I find I'm beginning to lean toward the 7.3 Minuet or the rear bedroom Argosys because of the windows. Central PA seems to lack both so no luck finding one for sale around here.

Tags
1977, 28', argosy, trailer