Old 11-09-2003, 05:45 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
Just bought '76 20ft

Brought it home Sat. and it seems to be in pretty good shape. Even had the original sticker and manual along with all appliance information. Original 8 track radio was replaced with equally outdated cassette radio. I'm sure many of you love the orange interior but for us I think it has to go. We had 2 other Airstreams previously including a '58 and the '53 Wanderer sold to Chris Deam (Wilsonart) which he made the prototype for the current CCD's. After getting it home (270 miles) I discovered that my Land Rover Discovery which towed the other 2 trailers we had easily, wasn't up to the task for the Argosy. Looks like I'll be looking for a new truck. Any suggestions? Thinking of an F150 (X-plan) with 5.4 ,crew, 3.73 limited slip.

turbocharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 06:18 PM   #2
The Painted Pig
1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
Congrats Turbo!

We also own an Argosy that we bought last month. Several years ago, we met an old beachcomer guy at a campground at Oak Island, NC. He came over to look at our 63 Tradewind and told us he owned an "Arggy." It took us a while to figure out that he was saying Argosy!

Come on, are cassette players out dated? I must be getting old...

Please post some pics when you get a chance.

Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 08:29 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
schaumburg , confusion
Send a message via AIM to Tikihut
Is your new trailer a minute? I own a 77 six meter, and I tow it with a Chevy Trailblazer. It is a six cylinder 275 horsepower and I have no trouble at all towing it.

WBBCI 2732
Tikihut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 11:17 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member
Well, I'm 53 going on 54 and yes I'm in the digital world. I love CD's and DVD's so the old radio isn't cutting it. I also hate to give up my Land Rover. It's a 4 liter V-8 and has quite a bit of torque but I have larger tires, springs, shocks etc. In other words I really use it off-road alot but find that it lacks in towing ability because of the larger tires, short wheel base etc. My priorities are my wife first, sports cars second, off-road third, and camping 4th. My wifes priority are me 1st, camping 2nd, and everything else third. So what I'm thinking is get the F-150 FX4 package and sacrafice some off-road ability but still enjoy myself while gaining a better tow vehicle. I'm not saying that your Chevy, GMC, Dodge or Toyota, etc is a lesser vehicle but I can get a very good deal on Ford products compared to anything else. So that being said I'm very excited about the Argosy and the prospect of new truck. I'm also very excited about seeing and learning about the Argosy trailers and what other owners have done to improve and or restore there trailers. By the way in the manual I have it lists my trailer as 20ft not a 6 metre. That must have been a later designation to try and get us thinking in terms of metric. It also has a very comprehensive breakdown of all the weights for the various length trailer weights and the weights of all the options available in '76
Old 11-10-2003, 03:22 AM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Check out There are a lot of pictures and information on Argosys.

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 07:38 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Just bought '76 20ft

Greetings Turbocharger!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Argosy ownership!

The Argosy 20 and its successor, the 6.0 Metre Minuet are both interesting trailers. While I haven't been able to establish the precise introduction of the 6.0 Metre Minuet, I believe that it was for the 1977 model year. The major distinguishing difference between the Argosy 20 and the Minuet 6.0 Metre is in the floor width (the Minuet is narrower while the earlier Argosy 20 is the same width as the rest of the Argosy line. On an Argosy 20 with the front lounge, the difference is readily apparent as the lounge will have an upholstered arm on the streetside while a 6.0 Metre Minuet with the same arrangement does not. There are other small nuances that we had an opportunity to discover while attending the VAC Rocky Mountain Region Rally in LaVeta, CO this past summer where both Minuets and an Argosy 20 were in attendance. The other interesting trait of the Minuet 6.0 Metre that MAY be shared by the Argosy 20 is the aluminum composite floor - - my notes indicate that at least one of the Argosy 20s owned by a Forum member has this composite floor as well.

Good luck with your Argosy 20!

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 08:31 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member
I, too, just purchased a 1973 20ft. The poor thing sat in a field for 20+ years and I am scraping rust off the frame and will replace the belly pan. Interior is perfect, but for some odd reason there is no door to the bath, just a curtain. I'll make one.

I plan to enlarge the window curtains as the ones that came with the trailer are replacements and are not wide enough to cover the wall on the street side window and the wrap-around front window area. Somebody must have washed them in water!

I painted the orange counter top of my previous trailer ('73 31ft) with almond colored enamel paint used to re-coat bath tubs and it looked terrific. Sure beats struggling to remove the counter top.
Rick Alston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 09:18 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member
Thanks Everyone , this a great forum. I new about the composite aluminum floor being a possibility so I'll take up the carpet in the area under the sink and take a look. I did notice how wide the trailer is compared to my previous vintage Airstreams. I used to be able to tow those and see with my mirrors but the Argosy being that much wider means I'll need extensions on the mirrors. My Argosy 20 doesn't have a lounge in front, it has the dinette. According to the manual I believe there were 3 different front configurations but I'll have to take another look at that.

Thanks Again!
Old 11-27-2003, 12:12 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member
1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Well, i can recommend the F-150 as i own one. With a full water tank and loaded with gear, you wont even know it is there.

Mine is a 2001 5.4, supercab, 4x4, 3.73. Not only is it a good driving truck it will tow your trailer up hills, loaded down and you will be able to pass when needed. I have always had power to burn when i needed it.

My F-150 and 20' Argosy
2009 F-350 FX4 Crewcab 4x4 6.4l
former '78 Argosy 20' Minuet owner
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 01:09 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member
2002 19' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
1980 28' International
Avon , Colorado
Send a message via AIM to rfield54

I too have an F150 (the same scenario as Van's). It's an extra cab, 6 1/2' bed. I test drove the Chevy and Dodge trucks first, but I really liked the Ford (esp. the solid ride), and still do. There's nothing I can't recommend about it. Though if I were towing anything here in the mountains over maybe 5000 lbs, I'd want a diesel. Good luck.

rfield54 is offline   Reply With Quote