Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2005, 04:51 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Collettsville , North Carolina
Its a Minuet!!!

Hello folks,
I just got back home from looking at the Argosy. Its a 24D9V Minuet 7.3. I took lots of pics. I only have Dial up and loading pics will be slow but I will start on them soon. The coach is dirty and has some junk stored in it. The outside has some easy to remove stains on it. The unit has been sitting for 10 years. The awning is there attached to the coach but the retracting springs have jumped loose, is this something easy to repair? Its a carefree awning. He said it got caught in the wind and got damaged and was just hand rolled back up. The coach has 2 aluminum LP tanks, empty, I guess they will have to be updated, whats that cost? The AC cover is shot, cracked in places and plastic pieces missing, is a AC cover available? There is only one small place in the floor about 1 sq foot that needs repairs. It is where the awning got pulled away from the bottom about 3/8 inch and let water in just to the right of the entrance door. He claims everything works except the furnance. Oh, there is lots of rust on the floor in front of the refer too, but its not soft. It looks bad but I think I can repair it. I got some underneath pics of the frame shocks too.

(My pics are too large to load, I will have to work on them and start over.)

What do you folks think?
Mtnman
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 04:57 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I meant to say there are no smells or odors.
Mtnman
Old 11-30-2005, 05:00 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
So is it sitting at your house yet?
Old 11-30-2005, 06:40 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
No, its not here yet, I have to check with you guys first! I am going to try the pics again.
mtnman
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2005, 06:46 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Here are some "rust Pics". Jack, wheel well and shock. Is that wheel aluminum?
mtnman
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2005, 06:52 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Here is inside pic. All tambours are there and all work great.
mtnman
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2005, 07:05 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman
Here are some "rust Pics". Jack, wheel well and shock. Is that wheel aluminum?
mtnman
Wheel well is plastic.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:11 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Here is a rotted tire & what is this little light for?
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2005, 07:18 PM   #9
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
the little light is a polarity indicator.

if it is lit the hot and neutral wires on the electrical cord are connected incorrectly.

it is normal to NOT be lit.

john
Old 11-30-2005, 07:22 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Congrats!

I think you have a rare bird there! I've never seen a tandem wheeled Minute. The light is a reverse polarity indicator. It shouldn't be on, unless the polarity from the shore power is reversed. Your wheels are steel - I'd get some new rims/tires before moving the trailer too far. If you have a tire shop nearby, then I'd have them replace them, but if those rims are that rusty, you might want to consider getting new rims and tires, and bolting them on. Rim size is 7x15, tire is 225/75/15, bolt pattern is 6x5.5, you want close to zero offset. If you get aluminum wheels, then you need new lug BOLTS, not nuts.

Great find - keep us informed! Is the floor aluminum? The reason I ask is that the smaller Minuets used an aluminum sandwich floor vs. the wood of the bigger ones.
Good luck!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 07:34 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Here is a pic of the owners manual.
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2005, 07:36 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
What is this coach worth?
Old 11-30-2005, 07:39 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Anyone know what a Minuet 7.3 weighs? I think the owners manual said 3100 pounds?
mtnman
Old 11-30-2005, 07:40 PM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Here is a pic of the owners manual.
From your photo of your owner's manual, and your VIN, you have a 1979 Minuet. I Had wheels like that on an Argosy 24 (still have them). It turned out to be mostly surface rust on them, and they cleaned up and held paint nicely. Be very careful of those plastic caps that say ARGOSY on them, they are very brittle, and will shatter if you bump them too much.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:47 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Its a Minuet!!!

Greetings mtnman!

The 7.3 Metre Minuet is among the more unusual Minuets -- most that I have run across have been either 1978 or 1979 with the larger number being identified as 1979.

The wheels are original as are the center caps -- those center caps tend to become quite brittle with age and have a habit of departing while traveling (I lost both of the originals on my '78 Minuet in the past two years). Those original wheels are top quality, and unless damaged are worth restoring (IMHO). Just be forewarned that the published paint reference codes are for a color that is more brown than the more copper color used on the Minuets. I am planning to have my rims and trim painted on my Minuet utilizing the very similar copper color that was offered on the 2005 Chevrolet Colorado.

The original aluminum LP tanks are likely well worth the investment in recertifying and valving. When I had this project completed on the 20 pound tanks on my Minuet the charge for the pair with a fill of LP was just a bit over $60 with sales tax.

There are very few absolutes with Airstream products, and probably fewer with the Argosy Minuet series. Initially, all of the information that I encountered indicated that only some of the 6.0 Metre Minuets had the composite aluminum floors (later learned that is seems to be most but not all); then encountered a few 6.7 Metre Minuets with the aluminum composite floors (but only two of the several that I have seen); I have yet to hear of a 7.3 Metre Minuet with the composit aluminum floor -- but there may very well be a few out there.

Both the 6.0 Metre Minuet and the 7.3 Metre Minuets according to what I have been able to determine were originally delivered with Good Year Marathon ST tires in load range C (I have the original spare that has never been on the ground in my Minuet and it is a bias ply Good Year Marathon). The 6.7 Metre Minuet may have had load range C OEM tires as well, but I don't recall this information from my research.

Good luck with your decision!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 07:52 PM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Anyone know what a Minuet 7.3 weighs? I think the owners manual said 3100 pounds?
mtnman
I think that is dry weight. Yours with a full pair of propane tanks, full fresh water tank, and an A/C unit, would tip the scales at closer to 3700 pounds.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:55 PM   #17
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
What is this coach worth?
The smarta** answer would be "what you are willing to pay for it". If I had to hazard a guess, based on what the photos show, maybe $1500, not knowing if anything works, and knowing how hard Carefree awning parts are to get.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:00 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Its a Minuet!!!

Greetings mtnman!

Quote:
mtnman
The published weight that I have is 3,820 pounds with a 510 pound hitch weight and that is for the basic coach, with no options or accessories installed with empty tanks. If you check in the owners' manual, you will find a table that lists the gross weight addition for each of the factory options/accessories as well as a chart that shows how much each adds to axle weight as well as hitch weight. I would estimate a probable gross weight when ready for a trip approaching 4,650 pounds with a loaded hitch weight approaching 650 pounds. I know that I really have to struggle to keep my 6.0 Metre Minuet below its 3,250 pound GVWR -- its loaded hitch weight is typically close to if not slightly over 550 pounds.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 08:07 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
What does "IMHO" mean?
What does "SOB" mean?
I dont think it has the composite floors.
mtnman
Old 11-30-2005, 08:11 PM   #20
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
imho=in my honest opinion

sob=some other brand...not airstream or argosy

john