Old 10-11-2006, 11:44 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Escondido , California
Is it just wrong to strip paint?

I'm new to this. . . I love AirStreams and an Argosy is for sale down the street. I just can't seem to deal with the paint. I really love the aluminum look but after having read about the Argosy, they seem to have some really great qualities. I just don't think it is the paint. I am probably just hung up on my idea of what an AirStream should look like, but I didn't know they ever painted them so it hasn't sunk in yet.

I know if it is stripped of the paint, the end caps will never be shiny. From a practical end of things, I know the stripping etc. can be dealt with.

From all of you, who have an Argosy, is it just wrong to want to strip it? Am I just ignorant and unnaccepting of the true beauty of an Argosy, or have any of you stripped them and found beauty?

Old 10-11-2006, 11:53 AM   #2
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
A number of folks have stripped and polished Argosys and simply painted the galvanzied end caps...just take a look at the argosy on this site (left side of homepage)

http://www.thepolishingguru.com/

Of course, this took a looooooot of work but it shows what is possible.

swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:01 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Escondido , California
Holy cow! The Argosy on the Polishing Guru website was beautiful. . . and Riverside is very close to where I live. I might need to get a second job (okay a first job would help) to pay for it or just use all of my spare "retired" time to do it myself!

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I know, my dream gal....

is on that Polishing Guru's site. Unbelievable. However, you don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get close. Read up on the forums under "polish" - there's a lot out there to suggest.

I used 3m products and a 1/2" drill (as recommended by Perfectpollish.com - the drill and bonnets at least) to get where I am. I also tried HeavyMetalpolish.com with good results - just messy.

Stripping - I used ICI hydrostrip 502 - it's "safer" to use - peroxide based. Just hose it off!
Good luck!
Marc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2688.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	26881   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2692.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	26882  

Old 10-11-2006, 01:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Who'd a thunk it? I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it with my own eyes. I still don't know if it's correct on a family oriented forum like this to be showing naked Argosys

-Bernie
Old 10-11-2006, 02:36 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1978 27' Argosy 27
west monroe , Louisiana
i gave $5oo for my argosy in mint cond one owner an i love the paint its a little faded now but i think it gonna get a fresh coat in the spring just could not bring myself to polish her that would be a disgrace to a fine old classic just my thoughts on it
Old 10-11-2006, 03:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwingrider
i gave $5oo for my argosy in mint cond one owner an i love the paint its a little faded now but i think it gonna get a fresh coat in the spring just could not bring myself to polish her that would be a disgrace to a fine old classic just my thoughts on it
You could always paint it silver! I've seen a couple of those that look great too!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 03:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
You could always paint it silver! I've seen a couple of those that look great too!

Shari
Gunnyusmc has an Argosy painted silver and it looks great. It had me fooled for a while. The sheen is equal to the newer trailers.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 03:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Yeah,
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS_Nolan.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	26885

Mmm, an inspiration for finally naming our trailer.... The Great Pretender ???

-Bernie
Old 10-11-2006, 05:59 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Escondido , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhayden
Who'd a thunk it? I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it with my own eyes. I still don't know if it's correct on a family oriented forum like this to be showing naked Argosys

-Bernie
Too funny--Strippin' Argosy! If we do get her, and do strip her, I'll have to post the pictures--that should really raise some eyebrows.

I've already fallen in love with her. We are going to check it out tomorrow so I hope she lives up to the affection I already have for her!

It is nice to read all of the different perspectives. I too think it is sort of wrong to strip the paint if that is how they came from the factory, and yet I think the stripped ones are gorgeous too. I'm thinking that if we get her, we'll just live with her awhile and see what she tells us. I'm sure it will take us quite awhile to do the rest of the restoration anyway and we could just do that first. If the paint is in as good of condition as it appeared upon the first inspection, then that also works in favor of keeping the paint.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini Turtle
Too funny--Strippin' Argosy! If we do get her, and do strip her, I'll have to post the pictures--that should really raise some eyebrows.

It is nice to read all of the different perspectives. I too think it is sort of wrong to strip the paint if that is how they came from the factory, and yet I think the stripped ones are gorgeous too.
There seems to be a lot more leaway in what you do with an Argosy than adulterating the classic Airstream. Maybe some WWII bomber art would be in order with your Strippin' Argosy:

Name:   Pix_09.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  89.9 KB
Old 10-11-2006, 06:58 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1978 27' Argosy 27
west monroe , Louisiana
i had a 4 year old grandson die in mine in his sleep he loved that old rv so its more then just the paint to me
Old 10-11-2006, 08:29 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Sorry to read this....

and I hope your favorite memories never fade. It's great that you have a concrete thing to remember him by.

I love the memories that our family has with our trailer - "dressed" and "stripped." My favorite pics are the ones looking at our trailer at night from outside, watching the children play Uno through the front wrap windows.

They are precious - treat each day as it's a treat. I work ICU in a Children's hospital - life IS too short.

Take care!
Marc
Old 10-11-2006, 10:12 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1978 27' Argosy 27
west monroe , Louisiana
thank you he was a cancer patient at st judes we had some good times in that old argosy camping in my yard check him out www.geocities.com/sandangelman my web site for my shop an get your kids an turn your speakers up in memory of my grandson