Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-09-2005, 06:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Spring Hill , Tennessee
Introduction - minuet 6.0 metre owner

I've been "lurking" on this site for awhile and finally decided to make myself known to the group. This is a great site, with tons of information and we have put some of it to good use already. My husband and I are not new to the travel trailer world, but are new to the Airstream/Argosy world, not to mention "vintage" Argosy. We have a '77 Minuet 6.0 Metre we purchased about a month ago. Although all systems appear to be in working order .........for the moment, the POs had painted the dinette and countertop with an epoxy (I think to cover the burnt orange counter tops) so we decided to replace them both as well as put in a laminate floor. We are just about ready to take it out for a test run. We live in the Middle TN Area and just wanted to say Hi and thanks for all the great information. Hope to meet up with many of you and learn alot more.
Tinker Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 06:47 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Hi There! Welcome to the forums. We also have a 77 Minuet and love it - most especially now that the orange is gone. Good luck with your test trip.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 07:21 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Spring Hill , Tennessee
Hi Janet, we have even more in common as my name is Janet as well. I have seen by your husband's posts that he is quite the handyman. My hubby is too! He is the one who built the countertop and dinette. I get to pick out the laminate colors and he builds. He actually incorporated a microwave cabinet that follows the contour of the wall. Turned out pretty cool and this way doesn't eliminate precious counter top space.

Will let you know how the trial run goes. It won't be for a couple of week-ends. Seems like we have something planned each week-end until September.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:43 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Welcome to the forum. I too am new here and I feel kind of strange welcoming another new comer. Your project sounds great. Can you post some pictures? Gary
Duramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 08:05 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Spring Hill , Tennessee
Hi Gary,

I will take some pics and try posting them tomorrow.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Congrats and welcome! Looking forward to hearing about your adventure!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 05:58 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Spring Hill , Tennessee
Hope this picture thing works. Still have drapes/curtains being made by a local seamstress. Hopefully will get them this week, unless she is pulling her hair out with all those slides : )

Thanks for the interest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Argosy renovated 009.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	13908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Argosy renovated 008.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	13909  

Name:	Argosy renovated 006.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	13910  
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2005, 06:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
great looking Argosy! Welcome. We TN, GA, AL folk get together to rally every 6 months or so...next one is end of October near Atlanta if you all are interested. Check the forum rally page in Community forums. Please join us f you can. It will be fun for all.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 08:20 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Hi Tinker Toy!

Welcome - GREAT looking Argosy! Since she's new to you - the only thing I can recommend is getting the wrap-around window protection for your front windows. (I only recommend this after having to replace one myself. Err, two, actually.) Janet has a great posting on this. Everything looks so good, this would be a small thing compared to a lot of what you're doing, and might save you from a bit too much adventure.
MrSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 03:57 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Great looking Argosy. I got my Argosy last November, and frankly had AS envy for a time. I desparately wanted to get an AS too. Now that it's been almost a year of restoration, I would not trade this little "twinkie" for an AS. When I think about starting another project, it's going to be an Argosy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0004.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	13945   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	13946  

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	13947  
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 05:44 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Welcome to the wonderful world of Argosy's

Nice looking Argosy Tinker Toy, we just finished ours after working on it for over a year.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gaucho.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	13953  
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 06:00 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Spring Hill , Tennessee
Matthew and Gigi,

Thanks for the information. I had previously come across Janet's rock guard post and told my husband this is probably something we need to do in the future.

By the way, I have two springer spaniels and one "heinz 57".
Old 08-11-2005, 06:06 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Spring Hill , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
great looking Argosy! Welcome. We TN, GA, AL folk get together to rally every 6 months or so...next one is end of October near Atlanta if you all are interested. Check the forum rally page in Community forums. Please join us f you can. It will be fun for all.
Alan,

We are definately interested, but I'm supposed to go backpacking that week-end. I'm going to see if I can get the folks I'm going with to change their date. The Rally is the week-end of the 28th correct? I noticed a few other requests for different dates.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:22 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Hey Janet,
Your trailer looks GREAT. It is very sunny and light inside. I have a 1973 Argosy 20' . I had my kitchen and dinette redone. Check out my photo gallery. More pics to come. Dave
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 10:55 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Spring Hill , Tennessee
Dave,

Thanks for the positive comments. It is nice and sunny right now since the drapes aren't in, hopefully will get those this week or next. We purposely made it bright to try and keep it light and airy. Also, we tried to stay along with 70's color lines with an updated twist. I can't handle the orange too much. Your trailer looks cool. If it weren't for the fact the previous owners took such great care to keep things original, we would have opted for something like you have done.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:16 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Tampa , Florida
Is that a flat screen tv? Hubba hubba! Also, it looks like you installed a folding countertop... what a great idea. I have the same Argosy, but she needs too much work for me. One day I'm going to put her in the shop for a much needed makeover.

Does anyone else have a problem with the 'rolling' cabinets coming out of their grooves all the time? I may need to have all of mine replaced, if that's possible....

Great ride, you will have lots of fun!
wardster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 02:50 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Spring Hill , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardster
Is that a flat screen tv?
Yes, that was my husband's VERY FIRST PRIORITY. He had to make it cable-ready and equipped with flat screen. Believe me, that wasn't my first priority.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:45 PM   #18
Rivet Master

T.V. or Not T. V. (sorry, couldn't resist )

Hey Janet,
My daughter brings a lap top for DVDs, a game boy for games, and
an IPOD for tunes. I don't remember her ever using any of them. I
usually use T.V. as a sedative, but I am usually pretty tired when bedtimes comes around when I am camping.
For me it's about being together, outside, and meeting people.
IMHO.....Whenever you're in your Airgosy (sp)......It's either your birthday,
New Years Eve, or your Honeymoon. I think that it might be a law in some states.

Staying original or customizing is a personel choice. Condition,taste, and funds
all play a big part. Mine was in bad shape behind the scenes.

For the record here....I think tires, brakes, and bearings are all the first priority. Dave
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 07:54 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Spring Hill , Tennessee
Dave,

I agree with you, camping is all l about meeting people and slowing down a bit. I rather listen to music or read a book than watch TV. My hubby grew up boating, I grew up camping so he is trying to accomodate me which means I have to concede to his TV addiction. Since the mechanics checked out, the first thing to add was the TV. As far as original verses complete remodel I think both are cool. I'm amazed at some folks creativity and others strict attention to original detail.

Janet
Old 08-14-2005, 08:48 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Introduction - minuet 6.0 metre owner

Greetings Janet!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Minuet ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker Toy
Dave,

I agree with you, camping is all l about meeting people and slowing down a bit. I rather listen to music or read a book than watch TV. My hubby grew up boating, I grew up camping so he is trying to accomodate me which means I have to concede to his TV addiction. Since the mechanics checked out, the first thing to add was the TV. As far as original verses complete remodel I think both are cool. I'm amazed at some folks creativity and others strict attention to original detail.

Janet
The appeal of the Minuet cannot be denied, and yours is looking great! I agree with your husband, one of the first comfort priorities on both of my coaches was to provide for television connections -- working antennas as well as connections for my DirecTV system. My '78 was a one owner and all original when I purchased it -- I couldn't tolerate the orange shag carpet and the orange plaid upholstery was worn out so both were replaced. I also chose to go the laminate flooring route as carpeting with my Chihuahuas was just not practical, and the upholstery choice was made to reflect my desire to retain the original orange countertop (it was in near mint original condition) and incorporates orange, gold, tan and green in an autumn print. While the orange countertop wouldn't have been my first choice, with the reduction of other oranges in the interior it actually has resulted in a pleasant interior.

I just returned from a 17-day trip with my Minuet. It towed beautifully, and all systems performed as intended (except the late model Coleman air conditioner that was a victim of a voltage surge/spike during a thunderstorm at the WBCCI International Rally in Springfield, MO). The trip included time spent in both Colorado Springs, CO as well as in Estes Park, Co. With the surge in fuel prices, it was somewhat comforting to know that the trailer only reduced my tow vehicle's MPG by 2 MPG below its typical solo mileage.

I would echo Matthew&Gigi's advice regarding the front window rock guards. The deep-wrap wing windows are very expensive to replace, and the last that I heard, the only way to get the clear version that was standard in our coaches was through salvage -- the deep wrap replacement windows available through Airstream when I last checked (almost three years ago when I was justifying the expense to have a rock guard installed) were available only in the gray solar tint.

Good luck with your coach, and again, Welcome to the world of Vintage Minuet ownership!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote