Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Topping , Virginia
Introduction

Hi,
I've asked ? about the Argosy line and have received some excellent advice. Thanks all.
I'm happy to report the purchase of a '79 Minuet 7.3 in VG condition. Just towed it back from Rockport TX. 1600 uneventful miles. No swaybar and no load levelling hitch. TV is an '07 T4runr 6cyl.
The interior is excellent. The only change is the fridge. It has the PW floor. There is a small area of rot at the corner of the door. A few minor problems easilly repaired. Drains on both waste tanks aren't operating and that's the first repair.
Also, why is the carpet on so many units in such deplorable condition? Is it that they are going to be sold so no one cares? My last trailer was a 2007 Casita bought in 2009 and that carpet, original short shag believe it or not, was terrible. Got home last night at 8:40pm and tore out the carpet about 10am today.
The trailer came with the original manuals for all the appliances and the Argosy factory manuel.
If anyone needs info I'll be happy to make copies and forward.
The exterior is VG with no damage. Some bumps and bruises, the original details are fading. Does anyone know where to get the plastic insert for the waist molding??
Thank you all for the information and encouragement received to date. In the future I will reciprocate as the renewal process begins.
tarnished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:40 AM   #2
Cecelia

1976 Argosy 22
New London , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarnished View Post
Hi,
I've asked ? about the Argosy line and have received some excellent advice. Thanks all.
I'm happy to report the purchase of a '79 Minuet 7.3 in VG condition. Just towed it back from Rockport TX. 1600 uneventful miles. No swaybar and no load levelling hitch. TV is an '07 T4runr 6cyl.
The interior is excellent. The only change is the fridge. It has the PW floor. There is a small area of rot at the corner of the door. A few minor problems easilly repaired. Drains on both waste tanks aren't operating and that's the first repair.
Also, why is the carpet on so many units in such deplorable condition? Is it that they are going to be sold so no one cares? My last trailer was a 2007 Casita bought in 2009 and that carpet, original short shag believe it or not, was terrible. Got home last night at 8:40pm and tore out the carpet about 10am today.
The trailer came with the original manuals for all the appliances and the Argosy factory manuel.
The exterior is VG with no damage. Some bumps and bruises, the original details are fading. Does anyone know where to get the plastic insert for the waist molding??
Thank you all for the information and encouragement received to date. In the future I will reciprocate as the renewal process begins.
Oh, how exciting! That is one rare Airstream you've got there. It's exactly the one I've settled on, now the trick is finding one from the other side of the world
Please post lots of pics, and keep us updated on your progress!
ccbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Congrats on getting the trailer! I had some of the orange waist trim on my Minuet replaced by the Airstream dealer from whom I bought the trailer in 2009. Is your trim orange, green, or blue?

Tom
Old 04-23-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Congratulations on your purchase. Hope you have lots of fun!
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Introduction

Greetings tarnished!

Quote:
If you thought that the coach towed well just using a ball hitch, you will really be impressed by the stability with a weight distributing hitch such as the Reese Dual Cam that incorporates sway control. Even when towing my 6.0 Metre Minuet with my Suburban, I utilize the Reese Dual Cam and it really does make a difference particularly when encountering the unexpected strong cross winds, thunderstorms, etc.

Quote:
I think that there are a number of factors that work to shorten the life of carpeting installed in an RV. The constant temperature changes, particularly in humid climates, can cause the carpet fibers to live in a moist environment where dirt becomes more deeply imbedded . . . and in extreme circumstances mold/mildew can factor in as well. Also, in the case of our Argosy coaches, they were designed as Airstream's entry into the mid-priced field and I suspect that the grade of carpeting reflected this target audience. When we consider our Vintage coaches in "as found" condition the carpeting often didn't receive the care that it would have received in a home (vacuuming/regular cleaning shampoo/steam-clean) and if it is a replacement it was likely either purchased as a remnant or possibly was rescued when new carpet was installed in the home. I know that my Minuet had its original Orange shage when I acquired it in 2004, but my Overlander had replacement indoor/outdoor carpeting in a disgusting dirt brown color. I suspect that the carpeting is one of the first things to go when most Airstreamers bring home a Vintage coach that they are planning to refurbish.

Quote:
The factory manuals are always a plus as some of the appliance and accessory manuals can be very difficult to find.

Quote:
The exterior is VG with no damage. Some bumps and bruises, the original details are fading.
One of the big advantes of the Argosy coaches is that we have somewhat more latitude when repairing skin blemishes due to the coach's painted exterior.

Quote:
Does anyone know where to get the plastic insert for the waist molding??
Rubrail and beltline molding inserts are still available from Airstream in three colors . . . blue, orange, and black. I don't believe that the green insert molding is being reproduced. There were a number of years when the orange was not available, but Airstream began offering as a replacement part several years ago. The insert material isn't cheap, but it does last for a very long time when properly installed.

Good luck with your coach! I am sure that your Minuet will give you many years of enjoyment!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Try Inland RV or Oasis RV for the rubrail and beltline insert.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #7
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Congrats on your acquisition!
Ours has the original orange carpet which we have replacement for.
I did clean the carpet and was not surprised to find it come up pretty darn good for all its age and poor quality underlay.

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote