Old 06-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #15

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
il Progetto will become il Progetto Estenuante prior to completino...
Vedi, non l'ho chiamato "il progetto corto". Spero che sė ma non ci credo. Forse un anno.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:25 AM   #16

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
The Donor!

So, I've secured a donor trailer for at least the pano window and the bumper. There are probably a couple of other parts useful to me, and I'll offer the rest to others. I won't feel too bad about consigning this one for salvage and scrap, it's probably a step up for it. It's clearly been baking in the sun for a while, it looks like it's covered in chalk instead of paint.

The interior is even more of a fright, but I guess since I was looking for some specific parts to it, I didn't even bother to photograph inside. It's been gutted with a thick layer of plywood over the real subfloor, so I assume the subfloor is toast.

I got lucky... I don't think the seller even realized that one of the panos was plexiglass, but it's NOT the one I need, so the trailer is useful to me, but I won't have an extra pano to sell.

The small awning window forward of the door is a disappointment... I need that one, il Progetto's is plexiglass. I knew before going that this one was shattered, however... I think it'll be easier to find than the pano, since lots of different trailers used that one in the 70s. Anyone have an extra?

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 06-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
It may be time for you to admit that you're powerless against your addiction.

But since you have the donor trailer, if you have an extra knob for a dometic fridge in there, I'll be happy to take it off of your hands!
2005 19' Safari, Toyota Tundra
2 Small and Spoiled Dogs
lcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #18

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcurrie View Post
It may be time for you to admit that you're powerless against your addiction.

But since you have the donor trailer, if you have an extra knob for a dometic fridge in there, I'll be happy to take it off of your hands!
I won't swear there's not an extra knob loose in there somewhere, but there's definitely no Dometic fridge. Nor, in fact, is there a 2-way fridge in il Progetto, yet! There's a very mixed bag of odds and ends in the Donor Argosy... most of the furniture/cabinetry is gone, but there's one overhead cabinet still attached at one end and hanging by a thread at the other. There's no range, but all 4 burner grates are there, along with the top piece to the range (in the shower pan.) And there's a Univolt, if you need an anchor for your kayaks...

Old 06-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
So how did you find an Italiano Argosy in the US.

I may have an extra window like the one you need. Get me some dims and ill check it out.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #20

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertair27 View Post
So how did you find an Italiano Argosy in the US.

I may have an extra window like the one you need. Get me some dims and ill check it out.
Heh... the Italian thing is entirely my own affectation, no fault of the Argosy. IL Progetto appears to have been sold initially to a family in Greenville, OH (about 15 miles from the factory in Versailles, OH) who had it at least until 1981, when the original owner bought a battery and saved the invoice. He seems to have saved most of the original docs, to my delight.

I assume the window is the same size as the galley window in my 24 (certainly LOOKS like it is) but to be sure I'll wait until I go to bring the trailer to Fort Worth on the 16th and actually measure the window to be replaced. If you want to get rid of that window sooner I can ask the seller to measure it for me, but I'd be happier making the measurements myself.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
re: Going up in trailer size: Well, it's the smallest vintage trailer with pano windows front and rear. Besides, the sum of your trailer lengths is pretty long, I'll only be around 52 feet of trailers, with the 3 in your profile plus the Safari you just bought you're around 95 feet! Do you not have the trailer you took to the Balloon Fiesta anymore, or is it just not listed?
We sold Phyllis (31 Sovereign) to a nice couple in Dripping Springs that are using her for a sweet bed and breakfast. She's living the good life for sure.
I really like the Pano windows you have. As far as the window it's yours when ever you need it.
Mike
Old 06-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Poor sad donor Argosy. In its demise, it will give a healthier trailer new life. Yay!

Tom
Old 06-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #23
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Glad you found another so quckly. The Kentucky experience was one lonngg drive.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:52 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Many congrats on finding the one that you really wanted. I bet that you are glad that you held out for it. It looks to be in reasonably good condition. I am amazed that you found it so quickly.

Aren't you glad that the Kentucky jerk did not accept your offer?

Good luck on the restoration.

Dan
Old 06-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #25

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
slowmover and TouringDan: I think that il Progetto is easily worth 3x what that pile of rotting subfloor, rat excrement and garden hose in Kentucky was worth. And the asking price was lower, and I got it for less than the ask. So yes, I'm deliriously happy that the hillbilly didn't take the offer I shouldn't have made in the first place.

However, I think that the whole Kentucky Expedition was educational.. it sure made it easier for me to hand over the cash for my "new" trailer. I just wish I had that gas money back, now that I've got an expensive long-term project on my hands.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
DKB

Sure you would like to have the gas money back, but was it not worth the education you got and all the other forum members got who read your Kentucky thread? You just may have prevented another forum member from making an offer they should not make.

Thanks for the education!

My advice in finding an Airstream/Argosy is to look at lots of them, buy the best one that you can find, go after the one that you really want and lastly pay whatever you have to pay to get the right trailer. Sounds like you did great!

Dan
Old 06-17-2013, 11:35 PM   #27

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Recovery mission, Part 1: The Donor

What a weekend! I spent my time in service to the Airstream cause, I guess.

On Saturday 15 June I woke much earlier than my usual for a weekday (much less a weekend!) so I could get to Ponder, TX and get the parts-donor trailer rolling before it became murderously hot. I had with me a "recovery tool kit" with all manner of things I imagined needing. I had the spare from my 24' trailer, and I knew that I needed to swap it out for the worst of the donor trailer's May-Pops. Being somewhat paranoid, I left the curbside of the 24' on jack stands and took 2 of those tires too. Really I should've taken one more.

On closer inspection, the donor had 4 brands of tires, in 3 different sizes, on 2 different types of wheels. I picked the least-bad of the 4, put my spare and the 2 tires off the 24' and checked things out. Surprisingly, the lights worked, and the P3 detected a braking circuit. My paranoia played out, but the bad scenario was just an infestation of chiggers around where that trailer had been baking in the sun... I'm still coated with Caladryl and trying not to scratch!

The donor had been baking unloved in the sun for so long that I had to wipe down the shell before I could get "extra strong" duct tape to stick to the thing. Oh, and it needed some duct tape.

I charted a course through the boonies to avoid towing through some tight stretches of bad road through Fort Worth dragging a trailer with mismatched tires and questionable brakes. I went from Ponder, TX through Justin, Weatherford, Cleburne, Meridian and stopped at Sonic in "Historic Clifton" (which I as a native Texan had never heard of, by the way) on my way to Nolanville. I stopped frequently to make sure neither the one iffy tire nor the REALLY questionable hubs were heating up too much.

I stopped in Justin to see if anything was getting loose or hot,

and I stopped in Weatherford to apply a little more strategic duct tape.

I happily left the disreputable pile of parts in Top's capable custody to extract the precious pano window I need, and the rear bumper and a few other odds and ends. I can take parts off a trailer, but I'm worried I would end up cracking that unobtainium pano. A couple of people have already asked for parts, and I'll try to get usable parts to people who need them before I give up the remnants to a scrap metal dealer. Surprisingly enough, I ended the day with the donor trailer in the same number of pieces with which it started the day, and all those parts were in the same county.

I stopped off on the way home to replace the 2 curbside wheels on il Carriaggio so I wasn't relying on jack stands, and got back home about 13 hours after I left for the day. One task down...

Old 06-18-2013, 07:49 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
What great story! I am glad to know that I am not the only one crazy enough to drag these little darlin's out of the weeds and down the road on a whim and a prayer. Good luck with your project.

I am just about done with my Argosy 24.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
restoration