Old 02-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Looks like you have a winner. Take a look at my blog to see what I have done to our '74 Argosy 26'
Have Fun!

Old 02-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Paso Robles , California
Ok, here goes with some pictures. She's a little rough. but hey, she's got some nice bones. Roughing out the concept of what we want her to look like before we grab a hammer and a crowbar and get to work.

Stereo works! Big plus, cranking the tunes while we check her out.
Fridge works, on electric anyhow.
Outlets are good.
AC turns on, but doesn't seem to blow cold air, though who knows, it's pretty cold here now anyway.
Floor seems solid, no soft spots or rot that i can tell.
Windows are all intact.

Other than that, most everything is going to be refurbished or replaced.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0564.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	179662   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0562.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	179663  

Name:	DSC_0565.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	213.3 KB
ID:	179664   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0566.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	179665  

Old 02-24-2013, 12:08 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Congrats and welcome. The photos look great. Looks like you have a fine Argosy there that you can transform into your dream trailer!

Dan
Old 02-24-2013, 10:44 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Tampa , Florida
If you are going to pull it apart anyway, it doesn't look too bad of shape. My A/C also blew warm when I got mine, a recharge later and it blows cold. The 28' rear bath is a nice light tow and still big enough for 6 with bunks. Good luck and enjoy it-
Old 03-17-2013, 10:56 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Paso Robles , California
With a belly full of corned beef and feeling spunky, went and got to work on her tonight. Did some serious demo, made sure to take plenty of pictures before and after so i could put it back together eventually. The more i rip it apart, the more amazed i am about how good the floor looks.

Definitely going the full monte now, the goucho is missing now, and took out all of the streetside kitchen cabinets.

I am a serious lurker on the forums, constantly coming up with new ideas for the trailer. Going with a hardwood floor. Replacing all of the plastic walls, with birch plywood. And rebuilding the cabinets from scratch. Going with a dinette in the front, and reusing the goucho, putting it in where the curbside twin bed is.

Will repost some new pictures when i get the interior all ripped out. Thanks for everyones support!
Old 03-18-2013, 06:02 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRustle View Post
With a belly full of corned beef and feeling spunky, went and got to work on her tonight. Did some serious demo, made sure to take plenty of pictures before and after so i could put it back together eventually. The more i rip it apart, the more amazed i am about how good the floor looks.

Definitely going the full monte now, the goucho is missing now, and took out all of the streetside kitchen cabinets.

I am a serious lurker on the forums, constantly coming up with new ideas for the trailer. Going with a hardwood floor. Replacing all of the plastic walls, with birch plywood. And rebuilding the cabinets from scratch. Going with a dinette in the front, and reusing the goucho, putting it in where the curbside twin bed is.

Will repost some new pictures when i get the interior all ripped out. Thanks for everyones support!
When you say "plastic walls" are you talking about the room divider walls that are contact paper covered plywood? Then birch plywood is a great idea.
If your talking about the vinyl coated aluminum inside skin, that's what mine were. I may be wrong but I thought they were needed for structural strength. So I just covered mine. But maybe the plywood would be as strong. Keep in mind the bouncing down the road flexing and twisting.
I
Old 03-18-2013, 10:30 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Paso Robles , California
Ok. I well yield to the general consensus of the forums and just cover over the aluminum inner skin. Not sure how a thin sheet of aluminum is any stronger than the ply would be, but i guess both together is twice as good.

Got some serious progress today. When we first started, we were careful to catalog every screw and rivet and take dozens of pictures.

The further back on the trailer we got, the more we started to use brute force and a hammer. Don't worry, we didn't damage the trailer or anything we might reuse, and before i throw anything away I will go through and save parts that might be salvaged for someone else's restoration.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0900.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	181361   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0970.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	181362  

Name:	DSC_0971.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	181363  
Old 03-22-2013, 09:57 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
Alamogordo , New Mexico
What are your plans for heating?
Old 03-22-2013, 10:15 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Paso Robles , California
Not sure, haven't decided yet. I don't really like the thought personally of a propane furnace, but not sure about the feasibility of alternatives. It's one of my first priorities to figure out though. Anyone have an opinion they want to share?
Old 03-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Milton , Ontario
Propane Furnace...

ChrisRustle,

Your progress looks great...I am envious, as we are waiting on warmer weather to start working on our 28'.

There is nothing wrong with having a propane furnace as your main source of heat. Those units have been used in trailers since the early '60. These days, they are safer and more efficient. Therefore, I wouldn't consider anything else.

Keep going and Good Luck!

Chris
Old 04-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #25
WI-78ArgMin6.7

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Franklin , Wisconsin
Congrats on your Argosy purchase! You will learn a lot of good information from the airforums. Enjoy!
Old 04-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Milton , Ontario
Post #16...

Hi ChrisRustle,

In your post #16, you took a picture of the gaucho in place and it looks to be complete.

Hopefully, you still have is somewhere and that you wouldn't mind taking some dimensions and pictures of it dismantled.

As, I am trying to rebuild the one I have, well partially...I have the metal frame, luan wood piece attached, front kick board, that's about it. The Previous Owner removed everything else and made peices of 3/8" plywood so that it folded into a queen size bed.

From what I have gathered and guesstimate, it is/was 3 pieces (one is seat cushion, one is back and the other was behind the back). So, when turning it into a 54" bed, the 3 parts made a whole.

Looking for your insight and thanking you in advance,
Chris
Old 04-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #27
Bex
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRustle View Post
Not sure, haven't decided yet. I don't really like the thought personally of a propane furnace, but not sure about the feasibility of alternatives. It's one of my first priorities to figure out though. Anyone have an opinion they want to share?

I'm a little late to the parade but WELCOME anyway!
You might want to search through the "contemporizing" thread by SmoklessJoe. His heating solution is pretty unique and certainly different. If you have been lurking for a while you likely already read through it.

Cheers for now

Bex

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote