Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2008, 04:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Panama City , Florida
Question Interior Paint?

I know that the answer to my question is some where in these forums but I have searched for quit some time and have not found my answer. Or maybe I'm just not reading between the lines.
So, I am going to repaint the inside walls and ceiling in the Argosy. The cabinets (kitchen, over head and underbed) will be painted another color than the walls. So my question is what kind of paint and what kind of process do I need for painting the walls and ceiling. You know they are that vinyl stuff. I'm not tearing out everything, I am painting around the cabinets and beds etc.
I know you'll help out a beginner. I need you now more than ever
Oh pictures would be great too! If you already know where the answer lies in these forums than could you be so nice as to point me in the right direction.
This is suposed to be a Christmas gift to my husband.
ckelly617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:57 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
Interior Painting

I've gotten real evangelistic about painting over the vinyl. It is much less work than stripping. I've posted this before and I'm glad to provide more info. First wipe down the walls with detergent and water to get any grime off. The most difficult (and time-consuming) part is the taping of trim, etc. After you've taped off the trim, paint over the vinyl with Sherwin-Williams Bonding Primer. This stuff is amazing. You create a new surface that you can paint over. I even painted over the dark, ugly the fake walnut paneling. Here's what the inside of my trailer looks like. I faux painted it with a sponge, but if you don't feel comfortable faux painting you can just paint with a roller or brush.

I copied this from an email from Susan Blumenthal in New Mexico, although I can't remember here AS tag name.
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:58 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Graham , North Carolina
Hey Kelly
Go to utube and put in Airstream. They did a retro of a 72 Overlander that was painted and brought up to date. There are quit a few episodes, so watch them all.
Jerry
jerrypeterma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:01 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Panama City , Florida
Perfect!! That is exactly what I've been looking all over for. A straight forward answer. Thank you sooooo much! I didn't want to do something wrong and mess up the whole job. My husband has no idea that I'm re-doing the whole inside like this. He thinks I'm just getting new curtains. So if I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna do it right. I want him to be like "Oh my God! You did this yourself!" Thank you again.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:01 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
Interior Painting

Blu_Hwy_Ldy has done a great job sponge painting the interior of her Safari over the vinyl clading. She found Sherwin-Williams primer (I think) that sticks to plastic. Really a nice job. PM her for details.

That's Susan Blumenthal's tag.
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hello I have only one MUST do that is a sanding of the ceiling and walls... believe me we know... and the paint has adhered with the Sherwin williams bonding and a very good latex interior house paint... to see the interior check out the thread Costalotta start to finish
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:39 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
JACKSON , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to campman
Just a quick note: If you are going to wash down the inside walls...and even the outsite....use tried and true Trisodium Phosphate and water (use gloves)..called, obviously, TSP. Used by painters everywhere to REALLY clean walls of grime and smoke and grease before painting again. Trust me, it works. My little unit looked clean, but when I used TSP it shined like new inside. Do not get it in your eyes and do rinse after washing. Actually, I used two rinses. Good Luck.

From Paul Theroux: ..the difference between a traveler and a tourist is.."travelers don't know where they're going, and tourists don't know where they've been"
campman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 12:50 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
All good advice, The "TSP" will do the trick, it's great stuff, and yes don't forget the gloves. The SW bonding primer provides a fantistic surface to apply any type of finish paint. Always buy only top of the line paints, the economy coatings are inferrior, require more applications, and don't flow out as nice (brush marks-roller marks etc.) Also pay alittle more for a good quallity roller, the cheep ones leave alot of fuzzies on the surface a real pain in the a_ _! nothing like all that work and labor only to have fuzzy hairs all over the walls etc. (in the trade we call them pubic hairs).I paint for a living. Take your time good luck.
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:20 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Panama City , Florida
What about the shower? What do I use in the shower? Can I use something other than Epoxy? It's expensive and I'd rather use something a little less costly. Is there a paint that I can use all throughout the whole trailer?
Old 12-02-2008, 03:27 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly617 View Post
What about the shower? What do I use in the shower? Can I use something other than Epoxy? It's expensive and I'd rather use something a little less costly. Is there a paint that I can use all throughout the whole trailer?

When you have a surface that is going to get wet alot like a tub a standard coating will not hold up. for maxium durability your best choice will be a epoxy. Check at the home depot for a tub refinshing system, they may have a spray kit. As for the rest of the trailer one type of paint is all you need.
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:15 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
I just did that!

Please go to our blog here on the forum or www.airstreamremodel.blogspot.com to read and look at our project.

I started last month (weather permitting) and am VERY PLEASED with the product and look.
I used TSP, Benjamin Moore bonding primer and their "Aura" low VOC line of paint. You will love the color selection.
Please read my post to the blog before you do anything!
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
If you go to www.airforums.com on the upper right there is a box that has latest blog entries. I think my forum blog is listed. called "paint? who'd a thunk it?"
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
argosy, beginner, interior, paint