Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2003, 07:59 AM   #1

Question Interior door handle Minuet 1977 6.0

We have a 1977 Minuet, 6.0. When purchased, in 1991, the door handle was a "hook". We would like to replace this with something more suitable.

We checked at the dealership, but there is no longer a handle that will fit.

Looking for suggestions.

Donna
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	handle.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	2815  
dm87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 04:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
There's probably an extra peg leg laying around somewhere that would do instead of the hook... or you could fly a "Jolly Roger" and build it into a theme!

"Ahoy, mateys! Shiver the timbers and drain the black water tank! We'll be castin' off 'ere the sun rises!"
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 06:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
ebay

I think I just saw one one ebay....take a look under "airstream"
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 06:24 AM   #4

drboyd said:
There's probably an extra peg leg laying around somewhere that would do instead of the hook... or you could fly a "Jolly Roger" and build it into a theme!
"Ahoy, mateys! Shiver the timbers and drain the black water tank! We'll be castin' off 'ere the sun rises!"

Tempting...

While I am checking my costume wardrobe, I wonder if anyone with a similar Minuet might post an image of what the original door handle looked like?

I will have a look on EBay under Airstream, as you suggest Marc. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2003, 06:26 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Fun-Lovin
You could always build one. Block of alumnium, drill press, and die grinder.

Greg
Fun-Lovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 06:38 AM   #6

Building one may be a viable option, I would like to see what the original looked like before designing my own. I am hoping someone will post a picture of an original, or recommend where I could see one. Thanks Greg.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:35 AM   #7
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
I remember!!

Dear DM87 - A year ago this month we brought home our 78 Argosy Minuet 22'. I had already discovered this forum and told of our excitement. "Mini" arrived home and we loved her alot, but alas, we had a hard time getting in and out of her door because in place of a door handle, there was a BIG nail stuck thru a hole in a post (just like yours). Had no idea what we were looking for, but posted here that we were missing our door handle and lo and behold we got an answer and a picture was posted in the Argosy section of this forum of what it looked like. I will attempt to find it and direct you so you too can see. We actually have been attempting to post before and after pictures of our lovely new door, but the pics keep disappearing. I will return with another post as soon as I have completed my hunt. Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 08:45 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Howell , Michigan
Minuet Door Handle

Here is a picture showing the door handle from all 4 sides.
Isn't this still available from AS?
While looking, I found a complete, but broken handle!
If you are going to make one, I could send you this as an example.
Let me know.
Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	door handle.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	2840  
gvanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 08:47 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Fun-Lovin
Mine is all wobbly as the hole has become oversized from time and the wrong size bolt/pin. I may be making one for myself also.
The one I currently have looks like the top of an exclimation point.
Gets larger at the end that doesnt connect to the post. All edges are smooth and has a groved top that makes it look like its upside down.

Greg
Fun-Lovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 09:03 AM   #10
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
gvanman - glad you posted pics, i was still looking for the one posted back in 02 when we were searching for replacement. It is (was) my understanding that the handle itself is no longer available (unless thru salvage), but you can replace the whole doorlock assembly to the tune of $$$, several hundred. Leigh
Old 08-28-2003, 09:32 AM   #11
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
found it

This is the thread i posted to for info on our handle. it is a ways down before i posted, but does show the door handle we ended up purchasing after 3Ms found it in trash and cleaned it up. Maybe someone else will be redoing a door lock assembly (never know) or can be found thru salvage. Wish i knew how to link the thread here, but if you go to ''search" and put in "help part needed", it should come up. Leigh

Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Plumbing, Water Heaters, Toilets & Tanks > HELP PART NEEDED! Aluminum Termination Cap...

ps. it is a nice bright picture and shows how nicely the handle can clean up.
When you use the "search box", go to pg 2 and you will find thread. It was started by InsideOut.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:00 PM   #12

Thanks for the picture gvanman! Knowing what it looks like is important. I had a look at the one for sale on eBay and it is completely different.

Originally we purchased a door handle from the dealer, only to find that our "post" is round and the new door handle accommodated a square "post". We had to return the handle.

Home Depot did not have anything that looked suitable.

We are going to check out Lee Valley Tools to see if they stock anything that might do the job, they have quite a line of handles and knobs and things. We hope to visit their shop in the next week or so to check out the particulars.

The problem we have with our current "hook" is that if it is turned out when the door is closed it damages the sliding screen panel. Also, it is loose and very difficult to maneuver.

Thanks for finding that thread Leigh, what good luck in finding a used handle! The pictures are great too, if I have to build something myself pictures will really come in handy.

I wil be back to tell all when I either find or build something.

Donna
Old 09-10-2003, 03:26 PM   #13
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Our "new" look!!

In case you are interested, we finally got a picture of the "found" door handle that we used to replace the BIG nail. Sure is great to look at and use!! Hope your search is/will go as well. Leigh
Click below:

New inside door handle

Old 09-10-2003, 04:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
On my Minuet,

I went to a plumbing supply and found a small lever handle off of a faucet and drilled it out to fit the shaft. Then drilled a crossways hole thru it where the 6/32 screw passed thru it and the latch shank. It was a small Kohler handle which worked out just fine, it was nice and shiny to boot!! Wish I had taken a pic for all to see but I sold my Minuet some time ago.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote