Old 06-23-2008, 03:48 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Oxford , Connecticut
I read the document on axle health and understood it. I crawled under the trailer and looked at each one...they were either at zero degrees or slightly positive. So I'm fairly confident in the axle requirement.

The rusty outrigger still has me worried...I'll try to post a picture of that later tonight.

What about the plumbing?...is that hard to tackle? I have sweated fittings before and also glued PVC together so I have a basic knowledge of the principles. The big unknown to me here is how much of the interior I need to remove to access all of it.

There's an Argosy 24 that just popped up on E-bay, any opinions on that one? (Ohio would be quite a drive for me).

Thanks.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:58 PM   #30
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff23 View Post
I read the document on axle health and understood it. I crawled under the trailer and looked at each one...they were either at zero degrees or slightly positive. So I'm fairly confident in the axle requirement.

The rusty outrigger still has me worried...I'll try to post a picture of that later tonight.

What about the plumbing?...is that hard to tackle? I have sweated fittings before and also glued PVC together so I have a basic knowledge of the principles. The big unknown to me here is how much of the interior I need to remove to access all of it.

There's an Argosy 24 that just popped up on E-bay, any opinions on that one? (Ohio would be quite a drive for me).

Thanks.
Having rusty outriggers that you can see, is not a good sign.

When you do see that problem, usually, but not always, the trailer was parked near salt water for an extended period of time.

Under those conditions, the air that is laden with the salt, also gets into the underbelly.

Should the salt water air have been in the underbelly for an extended period of time, then usually you will find cross members, outriggers and the actual frame, also severely rusted.

If you purchase that trailer, prepare yourself for the worst, unless you inspect the underbelly.

If there is considerable rust within the underbelly, you may have to replace the entire frame.

The only other cause would be towing the trailer in a lot of snow and ice. Since the roads are salted, that can cause the damage to the outriggers as you see them, but under that circumstance, there would be little damage to the rest of the frame, usually.

Andy

Old 06-23-2008, 10:22 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Oxford , Connecticut
What might lurk beneath?

I'm having trouble loading a photo. Nonetheless, this trailer has been around salt air for most of its life, I think I've come to terms with letting this one go...
Old 06-23-2008, 11:17 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
I bow to Andy on the outrigger. I don't live near salt water so didn't think of the problem that way. If the doubt is there, best to keep looking.
Plumbing is easy to access on these except for the few places it goes behind the panels or under the shower. It is on top of the floor and under the cabinets/gauchos for the most part. Using Pex and the slide on fittings for it makes it a LOT easier than sweating fittings. Pex also 'gives' more than copper so is less likely to freeze and break. You can transition from copper to Pex if you are 'patching'. Visit some place like Lowes and look at the Pex and fittings. Cut the Pex and slide a fitting on. Doesn't sound like it would work but it does.

Interior of the 24 on ebay looks good but I think the seller is right to say there is doubt about appliances and water. Electrical??? from the description. The electrical systems on Argosies are not very complex with grounds being the largest source of problems, but the description has me wondering what is going on. I'd say the fridge is likely a replacement candidate from the photo.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:43 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Oxford , Connecticut
Thanks to all

Well before I move onto debating the next potential Airstream purchase I'd like to thank all of you for your help in working through this one. After all this discussion and thoroughly looking over this Argosy (twice) I feel much more comfortable in evaluating these vintage trailers.

There's also a nice little Argosy 22 (I think) that's posted on the airforums classified here. I received some pictures and it looks really clean but northern Alabama is just about beyond a reasonable distance to drive for a camper. My wife would certainly think I'm insane. The problem is that I'm fairly picky and like all my stuff clean and straight. And given the right condition, I would probably figure a way to drive to Alabama.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:44 AM   #34
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
After reading your description of the one you inspected I am surprised you did not like the one in Orange, CT better. I thought it was really solid and even though I need another project like I need a hole in my head I seriously considered it. Even Wife was on board to get it.
biggoofball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:01 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Oxford , Connecticut
So where to now?

Well the interior of the one in RI has been very nicely preserved...it's the rusty outrigger that I'm worried about. I don't mind fixing aesthetics but once the main structure has been compromised I keep away.

I didn't like the one in Orange due to all the obvious modifications done by previous owners. Another thing I hold a lot of value in is knowing the history and the one in Orange was a big ?????.

So I want to start discussing the '69 Overlander on E-bay...what is the protocol? Should I start another thread in the '69 Overlander folder? I feel like I've got a good group offering advice over here in the Argosy forum and I don't want to lose that.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:05 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
here is a Colorado Argosy

1972 ARGOSY
Old 06-25-2008, 01:55 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Oxford , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
here is a Colorado Argosy

1972 ARGOSY
Looks nice...just REALLY far away! Thanks nonetheless.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:52 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:

So I want to start discussing the '69 Overlander on E-bay...what is the protocol? Should I start another thread in the '69 Overlander folder? I feel like I've got a good group offering advice over here in the Argosy forum and I don't want to lose that.
I think as long as this thread keeps popping to the top of the message board, people will continue to answer you. I have a "Search" thread of my own that spans many potential years and perhaps even a couple of different models, but the thread stays in the same place.

What would you like to discuss about the '69 O'lander on Ebay? And, which Ebay '69 O'lander are you talking about, because I see two currently up for acution.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 04:04 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Oxford , Connecticut
Yikes, you're right, there are two....I'd like to discuss the "more affordable" one. Whaddaya think?...looks pretty straight and clean. Some stuff in the kitchen doesn't look like original equipment (nor do the hubcaps for that matter) and it looks like it's sitting a little low on the axles. I understand that 1969 started the new body style and the front corner windows are apparently hard to replace if required. 1969 is pre-Beatrice Foods years so the frame should be stout. Is there anything else specific to the vintage that I should be concerned with?
Old 06-25-2008, 04:41 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I figured you were probably talking about the "more affordable" one.

I'm no expert, but as a fellow "Currently Looing" rookie I'd agree with your general assessment. It looks pretty clean and straight on the outside. A few small patches, I guess where the TV antenna once was, but they actually look pretty well done. No major dings, and overall looks pretty well cared-for. Definitely has new wheels but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I suspect that you will be told by someone at some point that the axles are shot and need to be replaced, again not at all surprising and pretty much every trailer this vintage seems to need that.

The interior looks to have been pretty well maintained as well. A/C doesn't work but that's true of a lot of vintage units. Sounds like it has a new water heater. The seller doesn't say but from the pictures the plastic in the bathroom looks to have been refinished.

It looks pretty solid to me, perhaps you can find someone in the area to take a look at it for you?

Good luck!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:03 PM   #41
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
I didn't like the one in Orange due to all the obvious modifications done by previous owners. Another thing I hold a lot of value in is knowing the history and the one in Orange was a big ?????.

darn, I wish I still had the link. The auction ended but it was a 1972 20 foot really original unit. I assumed we were talking about the same unit. Oh now I'm really sorry and upset at myself for mistakenly not adding the link to my initial post. Sorry again Duff. (we need a "kicking myself" smilie)
biggoofball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:46 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Oxford , Connecticut
Don't sweat it...I'm beginning to realize that there are a LOT of fish in this sea.