Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
What, in the opinion of you Airstreamers, are the disadvantages of carrying bikes inside the trailer?
The biggest drawback I see is that they're in the way, especially when you're travelling with 3 or 4 kids and 5 or 6 bikes. There's also the chance that the bikes will damage something if they move around while you're travelling. I'm planning on adding a front receiver to the truck for a bike rack that will hold 4 bikes, and if we need more the others will go in the back of the truck.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:58 PM   #42
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Klamath Falls , Oregon
Just took our first trip. Argosy 26. Put 2 adult bikes and 2 kid bikes inside. No damage either way and worked fine (leaned 3 against the couch). Cheap and easy. Now where to put the kayak??
sledf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:27 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Edisto Island , South Carolina
Another vote for the bike carrier installed in a front receiver. Easy to install the receiver, easy to install the carrier. We find this method to be very convenient and relatively problem-free.
Edistobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:35 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage68 View Post
I've seen other posts regarding mounting bike racks on the rear bumpers, which is apparently not recommended due to stress on the frame.
I'm shocked. I believe you, but "stress on the frame"? The AS weighs 8000 pounds, and the company fears the frame might be damaged by a 30# bicycle?
Now, maybe the bumper is fragile, but I would think some creative folks could weld a bracket to the frame to carry a bike. Or mount a 2" receiver, and use the commonly available bike racks?
I confess I read this thread to find a way to mount a 650 cc scooter on the back. Yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddoc1 View Post
I had the new AS bicycle rack installed at the Airstream factory in Jackson Center.
Check out my blog with 10 or so photos
Very cool, thanks for posting. Do the brackets through bolt into the back of the trailer or are they sheet metal screws? Do you have access like a removable panel?
I was wondering, the boating industry makes hardware like that for bimini tops using stainless hardware. I'll bet those would be much stronger than the aluminum ones.
Sitting duck is offline   Reply With Quote