Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2012, 07:43 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
I DID IT! My 1975 Argosy 28'

I just got it to it's new home. I agreed to return the wheels/tires to the owner as part of the purchase. I want to put my own on it. He had some after market white ones. Pic shows it needs new axles. Andy, HELP!
Outside and inside worse than I wanted to tackle, but O WELL, too late, it's all mine. Now the fun begins.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	158408   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	158413  

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	158414   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	158415  

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	158417  
Old 05-15-2012, 06:13 AM   #2
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Congratulations!
If think its a given that there is always more to do than we want to, or bargained for.
What reno jobs/work are on the horizon?
Some interior pics would be good to see so we all know what you have let yourself in for

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:35 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Tampa , Florida
Congrats on your argosy 28' purchase. About a year ago I got a '74 28' argosy and am very happy with it. The length is just right for wife and three kids. It had bunk beds so we've got room for everyone to sleep plus 1.

I went with alloy wheels and am very happy with them. If you have the airstream wheel covers with the brown centers they were original, or you could find them if you desired. I enjoy the 28' size and the relatively low weight of the argosy 28', best of both worlds.

Have fun
inTransit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:20 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
"let the fun begin" is right! Congratulations! Love your pics.
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Thanks to all the replies. I think I am a little overwhelmed right now, so, I am making my "to do" list of what I need to repair-replace exterior wise, to make it leak proof. There is a little floor replacement at the door. Door is sprung. Then I need to replace some missing 1" aluminum belt rail and 1 1/2" rear lower aluminum belt rail. Seal up belt rails and re-rivet all around. I think bad axles caused a lot of rivets to shear. New axles, drums, backing plates, wheels, tires on the to do list also. Interior to come later, but it is a mess. It looks more like a center double bed rear bath model. The curb side interior center has cabinet but dont know if original or not. Will take interior pics and post soon. Also, no goucho, just a very dirty couch and carpet.(gag) I need the Argosy name that goes on the outside rear, below the bath window. Anybody now where I can find one?
PS Those ugly dirty front window curtains in the pics are trashed already.
Oh, and how do you like the non-matching propane tanks? OMG My wife can not believe I brought this home.LOL I just LOVE the wrap around front windows. My wife still thinks I have "slipped out of reality".
Old 05-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #6
Cecelia

1976 Argosy 22
New London , Connecticut
Congrats on your new Argosy. You definitely have your work cut out for you!
ccbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:27 AM   #7
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
I think our wives would get on really well.

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:51 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bex View Post
I think our wives would get on really well.
My wife feels sorry for your wife, bless their hearts for putting up with us.LOL
Old 05-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
It's worse than I thought. No AC electicity, No DC Power supply, plumbing patched with fresh water hose, no living room furniture, one single bed frame, other bed was a couple of old doors. I had to ditch old outdoor carpet(nasty) couch(nastier) folding couch for single bed(Nastiest). Black tank the PO left POO in it. Spent several days filling and draining black tank. Valve frozen open, but now it is working. Gray water is flowing. Connected street water and MAJOR leak behind toilet, pipe to shower.What did I get into!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-26-2012, 07:29 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Have you located the breaker panel? Maybe the breakers are turned off. You won't have any DC until you get the AC. Unless there is a good battery in the trailer.
What kind of shape is the shore power cable in?
Did you plug it in to a GFI circuit? Maybe the breaker tripped at the source.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #11

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
That pipe to the shower is a pain... it's the last bit of copper left in my Argosy... luckily the actual crack in the copper was where it's exposed inside the cabinet, and swelled most of the part that was left. So far the jury-rigged joint is holding, but if the bathroom walls ever have to come out I'll replace that with pex like the rest of the trailer.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:26 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Have you located the breaker panel? Maybe the breakers are turned off. You won't have any DC until you get the AC. Unless there is a good battery in the trailer.
What kind of shape is the shore power cable in?
Did you plug it in to a GFI circuit? Maybe the breaker tripped at the source.
The PO had cut off the 30 amp plug from the shore power cable, wired with twist locks a small extension cord. I did not even try it. Got a Camco 30 amp 3 prong plug and installed it. All AC plugs now working. I will test polarity on all plugs before proceeding. I have a new PD9260 and new fuse block to install for the DC power. Also got a new deep cycle battery.I am very familiar with electical wiring in trailers so this part should go smoothly.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:30 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
That pipe to the shower is a pain... it's the last bit of copper left in my Argosy... luckily the actual crack in the copper was where it's exposed inside the cabinet, and swelled most of the part that was left. So far the jury-rigged joint is holding, but if the bathroom walls ever have to come out I'll replace that with pex like the rest of the trailer.
Did you replace all the copper, right up to the faucers, or use the old copper and attach to it. I am going to get into plumbing soon.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:43 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger View Post
It's worse than I thought. No AC electicity, No DC Power supply, plumbing patched with fresh water hose, no living room furniture, one single bed frame, other bed was a couple of old doors. I had to ditch old outdoor carpet(nasty) couch(nastier) folding couch for single bed(Nastiest). Black tank the PO left POO in it. Spent several days filling and draining black tank. Valve frozen open, but now it is working. Gray water is flowing. Connected street water and MAJOR leak behind toilet, pipe to shower.What did I get into!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sounds very familar!

It appears youve got a handle on the electric. The hose patches clamped at each end just need to be monitored once you get pressure to be sure they don't leak. The holding tank issue is one I faced as well, PO lived in it with all plumbing set to flow and as expected valves were stuck and tanks needed to be cleaned. I used a service to pressure wash the tanks back to as new. They are a big investment so better to get all of that crap out of there.

My copper under the bath that was accessible from under the coach needed soldering for leaks.

Your definitely hitting on of the worst times, realizing just how much is wrong but thankfully ca all be remedied if you take each series of tasks individually and don't get overhwhelmed.

Oh, and save your coach/bed foam! It should clean up nicely and save you a bunch of money.
inTransit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:59 AM   #15

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Did you replace all the copper, right up to the faucers, or use the old copper and attach to it. I am going to get into plumbing soon.
With the exception of the shower valves, ours is pex all the way to the valves.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 05-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Looks like I may be starting with the shower, since it is leaking. Any thoughts on how hard it is to get the faucet out? It has the shower part broken off, guess I need to replace it as I go.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #17

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Looks like I may be starting with the shower, since it is leaking. Any thoughts on how hard it is to get the faucet out? It has the shower part broken off, guess I need to replace it as I go.
The problem is the pipe connections behind the shower surround. I've avoided that one successfully thus far!

Old 05-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTransit View Post
Sounds very familar!

It appears youve got a handle on the electric. The hose patches clamped at each end just need to be monitored once you get pressure to be sure they don't leak. The holding tank issue is one I faced as well, PO lived in it with all plumbing set to flow and as expected valves were stuck and tanks needed to be cleaned. I used a service to pressure wash the tanks back to as new. They are a big investment so better to get all of that crap out of there.

My copper under the bath that was accessible from under the coach needed soldering for leaks.

Your definitely hitting on of the worst times, realizing just how much is wrong but thankfully ca all be remedied if you take each series of tasks individually and don't get overhwhelmed.

Oh, and save your coach/bed foam! It should clean up nicely and save you a bunch of money.
There is no bed foam to to save. I plan on moving the one single bed frame that the PO left to the curb side, and expand it to a double bed. The other side, I think I will put a couch on it, like a Futon. Holding tank all is well now. Plumbing a challenge , I think I may have to start on it sooner than I planned. Still a little overwhelmed, but now brake lights. backup and running light work, that is a little positive. Added an electric tongue jack, just have to wire it to battery. LOL
Old 05-30-2012, 06:27 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
The shower valve is not too bad to get out. Drill out the rivets and get the mounting out. The problem comes in getting a close fit for the elbows into the valve. Shark Bite pex fittings are too large (or were for me) to fit behind the valve and still get the panel mounted. I obviously found something that worked, but I don't recall what it was. You might be able to use the old connections and solder a threaded coupling on so you can transition to pex. Just a thought.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:31 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Argonaut20, thanks for the info on the shower valve. Unfortunately for me, the shower is broken. The hose coming out of the body is broken, looks like plastic. I probably have to replace it, and have no idea where to get another one. I am going to do the plumbing in phases, build my manifold, bring one or two facuets on line at a time. Shower may be last.