Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2010, 07:55 PM   #1

1977 Argosy 24 Rear Door
Bixby , Oklahoma
Question Husband bought the Argosy, now I need help!

Trying to make this 1977 Rear Door Argosy livable for our upcoming 10 day trip. I need to replace the pull down shades because the current ones are tattered and have these fasteners that stick two-inches out from the wall - a definite hazard for my 3 year old twins!

Any advice on where to order the shades? It's just a temporary measure until I can save money for custom made drapes and new rails to hold the glides. (I'm referring to the side windows and bathroom window).

Or would you recommend blinds? I just can't figure out how the blinds could work around the side mechanisms for keeping the windows open. Plus, I like the light blocking element of shades. Tried to order through JCPenney had them for $15 each but they're backordered and we're leaving this month!

Need help ASAP! Please email me at reneesteel@ssdsolutions.net if you have any suggestions. Thanks so much!!!
Renee Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:32 PM   #2
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
I made quick, easy, and cheap curtains for our A/S using $19.99 sheets. Two full sets did all our windows but the kitchen/bath. Those two already have pull down shades and require removal of screws or rivets so I just haven't done them...yet. We made one small trip before I made the curtains, I used a clothes pin to hang some heavy fabric over all the uncovered windows. (Which is why I've spent the last week sewing curtains!)

Of course a lot depends on exactly what the shape of your A/S is. You said you needed to replace rails.. is that because they are missing, broken, or don't work?

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
If the top rails are intact you can use towels and clothespins as curtains. Actual pull down shades are available at stores, maybe Wally World Home Depot, etc., and you can cut them to the width you need. The shade hold downs are usually high enough that your children can't get at them until you teach them to leave them alone.