Old 07-05-2013, 03:09 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Spruce Grove , Alberta
How UnOriginal

Hello, and good day.
I adore my trailer, especially the size and uniqueness of it. She's got many cross Canada trips under her belt, and will have many more now that she's mine.

This is the year that I get to freshen up the interior a little. And ooohhhh what a Pandora's Box. With every turn, I can see details that need my attention. Little things like leaks, countertop replacement, flooring concerns...you all know what I'm talking about. The community spirit of these forums have inspired me to tackle everything, one rivet at a time.

So then I started thinking about how much the previous owner had changed. Smart Canadian fellow used "Robertson" screws, so I can see what he altered, repaired and replaced. A few awesome upgrades:
-Extended the frame, and added trunk box (first owner put a wooden box on the bumper which rotted and scarred the finish).
-Jack system in rear is powered by cordless drill so set up and leveling happens like magic. Power jack in front, of course.
-Cupboards are ??? remade? altered? I just smartened them up a little and put fancy pulls (yet to be lock-tite-ted) (turn to magnetically lock, turn to release).
-Shower used as storage. Hanging shoe racks hold all the kids clothes.
-Grommet thingies on the outside of the window (factory? alteration?), I made the window cover which also keeps the sun out and kids sleeping longer.

Ok, Ok, Ok, I just want to show her off a little. She is very unique and so unoriginal...just like me!

Some help would be greatly appreciated, as while giving the inside some TLC (if the outside doesn't shine, the inside will damnit). I found out where the front windows are leaking, but don't know exactly why. Are these unique windows prone to leakage? I plan to redo all of the caulking anyways, but wonder if I should be worried about the alterations being the source of some moisture?
AAARRRGGG(osy)
janel.p
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7843.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	190228   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7850.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	190229  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7845.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	190230   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7840.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	190231  

Old 07-05-2013, 06:36 AM   #2
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Sweet looking trailer...

This jumped out first....
-Jack system in rear is powered by cordless drill so set up and leveling happens like magic. Power jack in front, of course.

The "jacks" are not for side to side leveling...they are are for stabilization only. You do not want to twist the frame.

The extra strain of the rear frame modification & bumper trunk may be the source of any rear floor rot/leaks.

Sweet Streams...

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
I don't know about the other issues, but I really like the galley!
Old 07-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Virginia Beach , Virginia
What fun to see your designer's eye at work.
Air #42313 TAC VA-7 WBCCI #1290
gsmithii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Shepherdsville , Kentucky
Boy, your unoriginal really looks good.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Spruce Grove , Alberta
*blush*

Hey thanks for the support.
The jacks are only for support, as we don't go dragging the airstream across rivers and along cliff faces like we used to with fiberglass trailer. Thanks for the tip, I will investigate further...but I found the boys turned water valve on to the water heater (which we don't use as it would be too luxurious), and that might be part of the problem. Or one of the problems.

The galley was poorly painted, and full of holes from resto/reno projects. I couldn't stand looking at it anymore, so I found these lovely tiles (peel and stick). Then the rest really looked shabby with peeling paint and holes all over. So I started painting (often late into the night when all boys are asleep), then just couldn't stop the progress. Reupholstered the valances with leather-ette so they can be cleaned easily (one above dinette looks to be another add on). Added magnetic spice rack for keys, flashlight, misc items. Curtains in the works, but just for décor and semi-privacy, as I made a black out curtain that magnetizes to the screws in the window frame to keep the light out and kids sleeping longer. Have yet to make a mount for the stainless steel 'ice-o-mat' so crushed ice is at our fingertips with retro style. Sigh... it is never ending, yet a labour of love.

This winter, if I can convince my father to park his Prevost outside, the plan is to park in the bus barn and tackle floor issues, then countertop. This is a huge learning project for me, as it is primaroly me putting in the sweat and tears. My hubby steps back and let's me get frustrated and elated, but supports when I need it.

As much as I adore my Argosy, I don't feel it is our forever-stream. There is a floor plan that would suit our family better, so will keep searching. Not that there would ever be a reason for selling...you can never have enough streams (I am my fathers daughter and he has 4 Prevost and MCI busses in yard and keeps trying to convince me I should drive one). Size does matter, as I am the hauler (hubby co-pilots and gets strange looks like he 'lets' his wife drive) and find hauling fifty feet of luxury a little excessive, and contrary to our minimalist lifestyle.
Forward progress... that's good skills for golf, life, and streamin.
janel.p
Old 07-06-2013, 11:24 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Irrigon , Oregon
It is most certainly unique
Old 07-06-2013, 11:32 PM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
"...frustrated and elated..." Yup
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:54 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Spruce Grove , Alberta
well it looks like the earlier reply is totally correct, the modifications and extention on the rear of the frame is the cause of some leakage. the water gets in around the bunk closest to the door, and I wonder if it has anything to do with the door itself?

??WHY??.... would someone change the door to open the other way? it doesn't latch open when the awning is up. the door swings open towards the front of the trailer, with the hinges on the right hand side (closest to hitch). is there anyone who can take a guess and help me out?

yes she is unique, in a loving nightmare-ish kinda way.
janel.p
Old 08-16-2013, 05:30 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Cedartown , Georgia
The door was probably changed because the 'suicide' direction of the doors have a bad habit of opening while en route causing much damage. Air gets in and under the seal and the wind forces the door open, despite it being locked. There are discussions on the forum regarding this. Now, with your door switched, you'll have no fear of such a thing. Our door opens 'suicide' but because it's a rear door entry the door doesn't latch to the trailer because the awning pole is in the way for it too.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
1978 28' Argosy 28
Edmonds , Washington
I REALLY LOVE those peel and stick tiles. Can you tell me where you found them? Thanks!!
Old 08-23-2013, 01:24 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Spruce Grove , Alberta
they are from Rona.
to walk in the store you can get it by single sheets (which I went back a few times myself as the plan expanded and changed), and the online order is an entire box.
I think it is lovely and is worth every penny.
https://www.rona.ca/en/brushed-steel...es-69645027--1
janel.p

**I adore your choice in fabric for your couch**
Old 08-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
1978 28' Argosy 28
Edmonds , Washington
Thanks for the information, Janel! And thanks for the compliment on the couch. I love the fabric and it really looks great. Although, I am regretting not having paid extra and had the guy put buttons in. The fabric is starting to stretch a little on the seat and I know that the buttons would have prevented that. Otherwise, it is holding up very nicely! Thanks again for the information. I see a weekend project in my future! Lori
Old 08-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #14

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
The weight of the box on the back will eventually separate the rear frame/floor from the shell. The farther back something is, the more 'bounce' it has, and the more force it exerts on the frame. I had a Bambi which had two smaller boxes and a spare mounted on the bumper, and you could actually see daylight between the floor and the bottom edge of the shell in the rear.

Great looking interior! I love it!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote