Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-10-2015, 10:36 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Spruce Grove , Alberta
inside out

At what point, do you know if something is making you stronger or killing you?
Argosy spent the winter in my thoughts, and on a few pots too.
With the simplest intentions of replacing the counter top and looking into a soft spot, i accidentally turned my argosy inside out. This project is daunting & exhilarating & heartbreaking & empowering all wrapped up in an lumpy aluminum skin. And i wouldnt trade it for anything else.
Again... killing me, or making me stronger?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150609_220335.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	240381  
Janel.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 03:05 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Let's vote for stronger! By the way, the new axle I got for the Minuet is 3500# rating and we had the angle on the arms increased so the rig rides higher. I blame the PO towing with a bad axle for the cracks in the interior end caps, but I had no rivets pop.
I, too, worry about that storage box and its effect on the towing dynamics. The frame addition may be strong, but that also increases the rear weight loading over and above whatever you have in the storage box. I doubt any strengthening was done to the frame in front of the axle so it is getting extra stress from the cantilevered storage box. When the box goes down, it unloads the front of the frame and the hitch. When the box goes up, it loads the front frame and hitch. The axle is a fulcrum. These frames are not real beefy and they flex more than you believe.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:21 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Spruce Grove , Alberta
Yes, i do believe the above mentioned is the cause of front rivit pops. Will also tackle the axle height and raise it for more clearance.
The more i dig, the more i find. Its like a scavenger hunt where your reward is labor. But truly a labor of love. After 35 years a little cosmetic surgery is no shock. Todays task, a tummy tuck. Welding some busted joints and reinforcing others. Cost? Flat of beer. Gotta love hard workin, hard drinkin tradesmen.
Please someone point me in the direction of a gaucho repair post. It fell apart upon removal, and i would like to find a better solution.
This daunting project has not reduced me to tears, but has reduced me to many beers. Like another serious drinker once said..."never surrender".
Old 06-12-2015, 12:15 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Is the gaucho aluminum frame or wood frame? The gaucho in my '78 is aluminum frame with some welded joints and some pop rivet/screw joints. Wood frame gauchos can be built. Look through Vintage Airstream - Airstream Trailer Resource for plans for gauchos.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:09 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janel.P View Post

With the simplest intentions of replacing the counter top and looking into a soft spot, i accidentally turned my argosy inside out. This project is daunting & exhilarating & heartbreaking & empowering all wrapped up in an lumpy aluminum skin. And i wouldnt trade it for anything else.

Did you make that bowl? DW is a potter and has made some wonderful pieces for our trailer - I really like this one!!

Oh - and your Arggggggosy is awesome!! Love it! Can't tell though - how was that frame extended to hold a trunk? Very interesting!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:37 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Spruce Grove , Alberta
I made the bowl, i like to bring things to give away (why i will never be rich, except in the bank of karma) at airstream gatherings. It is an image transfer technique called lithography. Uses any photocopied image, like photos and kids drawings etc. I love the slightly imperfect image.

The trunk is mounted to the underside of the frame at rear, extending all the way to the axle. There is no separation in the rear end of the trailer. I keep checking, as everyone says its a no-no. But the back looks great. It is the reason for the separation at the front though.

Will post some pics when there is something more interesting than welding, frame and floor repair.
janel
Old 06-17-2015, 11:06 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
I know nothing of what you are doing with your Argosy, but my thought on struggles is this.....if you are thoughtfully moving in a positive direction, even thru baby steps, that generates inner strength and is something to embrace and continue on with. If you remain thoughtful, and it is time to change direction, you will know.

I like your attitude.

Good luck to you, and keep the faith.

Maggie
Old 06-17-2015, 11:09 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I also like to make things and give them away at rallies, to friends, family, new acquaintances, etc.

I crochet, rather than make pots.

Cultivating a generous heart is a good thing.

Maggie
Old 06-21-2015, 10:14 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Spruce Grove , Alberta
Three generations working all at once. Dad...Thanks for the help, and most importantly, lifelong encouragement
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150618_112615.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	241295  
Old 06-21-2015, 10:30 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Quote:
Three generations working all at once. Dad...Thanks for the help, and most importantly, lifelong encouragement

Hi,
Attached Images

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:22 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Spruce Grove , Alberta
Here is the remnants of the goucho. The slides disintegrated upon removal. Has anyone else done anything similar? Dont want to put wooden slides, looking for an alternative.
Thanks for the direction folks.
janel
P.s. thanks Bex for the parts. Gotta love new old stock. Anyone near alberta needing parts and pieces should take the drive and have a nice visit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150622_080847.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	241303  
Old 06-22-2015, 08:33 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
You can go with some 200lb drawer slides from Lee Valley, 200 lb Slides - Lee Valley Tools. I have used their hardware in the past and it is always good, though it may not be cheap. If you are using this on a pull out, you may need to figure some way of locking it so it stays extended or stays retracted, because there will be very little resistance when you move the extension, they are that good.

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:03 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Cushions against the side wall and board at the front of the gaucho would likely keep it extended, and a piece that makes you lift the front up in order to pull it out would keep it closed. The plastic slides may be unobtanium but you might search the forum to see if anyone has solved that problem. Wood slides are available, but I agree they would be last resort here.
Nice photo of the helpers.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:48 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Calgary , Alberta
I was looking at your pictures and noted your window protection and was wondering if you had any other pictures of the covering. also details of how it was made or where you obtained it. Since you have been travelling all over the country have you had any issues with it. I need to do something with ours and I was not sure on what to do. Thanks rob
CampingwKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:54 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Spruce Grove , Alberta
Hello rob. The covering for front windows i made myself. Used the padded covering that is uses on semis to cover the radiator in winter (from a commercial fabric company). The argosy came with the gromet attatchments already installed on trailer, so all i had to do was put the hole part of gromet on the cover. Keeps windows protected while hauling, but more importantly, keeps the sun out and the kids sleeping later.
Will get some closer pics and send them along.
In the mean time, the flooring is in, and putting things back in makes it seem like i am on the final stretch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150710_172101.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	242764