Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
How to seal window joints & seams prior to painting?

Ok this is question 2 of my 1001 planned questions. I want to get my 79 Argosy painted but I notice that there is a lot of silicone on the beltline and on the side seams. I dont know if this was just the previous owner going over board or if there was a problem. I remember reading about the beltlines leaking. The glazing or solder on the corners of the windows are mostly chipped away. As far as I can tell so far there are no leaks or signs of previous leaks.

Should I worry about removing the silicone and doing something else? Is this something that I should seal prior to painting? Or should the autobody place take care of this?

Are the window corners glazed or soldered and how do I fix them?

Thanks for your help.
nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick6930 View Post
Ok this is question 2 of my 1001 planned questions. I want to get my 79 Argosy painted but I notice that there is a lot of silicone on the beltline and on the side seams. I dont know if this was just the previous owner going over board or if there was a problem. I remember reading about the beltlines leaking. The glazing or solder on the corners of the windows are mostly chipped away. As far as I can tell so far there are no leaks or signs of previous leaks.

Should I worry about removing the silicone and doing something else? Is this something that I should seal prior to painting? Or should the autobody place take care of this?

Are the window corners glazed or soldered and how do I fix them?

Thanks for your help.
If your going to paint the Argosy, all the silicone and any trace of it, must be removed.

The window seams are sealed with "Par-bond."

The sealing of the beltline was unnecessary. It's near impossible to have a leak there. All the belt line does is cover a rivet seam.

The greater concern should be the condition of the window, entrance door, and access door gaskets and especially the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets, which last about 5 to 6 years.

Since the trailer is 30 years old, more than likely all the exterior gaskets are bad.

All to many owners, go crazy with "silicone sealers on the exterior." Most always leaks are from gaskets or missing rivets.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:16 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
Andy,
can I just call in and order all of the gaskets to change on my 74 windows too? How much work is it to change all of these gaskets?
Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:18 PM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs down Sillycone

Silicone, in all forms must stay at least 1000yds away from any paint booth.

No kidding it will reek havoc on fresh paint.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouth012006 View Post
Andy,
can I just call in and order all of the gaskets to change on my 74 windows too? How much work is it to change all of these gaskets?
Sure can.

All we need to know, since you have an Argosy, is how many windows open and their sizes.

Typically, the first window takes about an hour, and the rest about 30 minutes each.

We also offer verbal instructions as to "how to do it." Not to be confused with "howie do it."

You should also check the entrance door gasket, the access compartment gaskets, and especially the sewer vent pipe gaskets. All the gaskets can be changed in a weekend or less, as long as you have your favorite near your side. You know, that six pack.

Andy
Old 01-27-2009, 08:56 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
we did check them and they ALL need changing.....so that should be a fun job...will check with inland hopefully tommorow if the weather in Kentucky allows the phones to work tomorrow. They sure were not working today
Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouth012006 View Post
we did check them and they ALL need changing.....so that should be a fun job...will check with inland hopefully tommorow if the weather in Kentucky allows the phones to work tomorrow. They sure were not working today
Sorry about the phones.

Yes, our weather is getting to be sad all over.

In southern Cal, it should be in the 50's in the day. No way. It's more like 70's and 80's.

Man, it's winter, let us cool off.

I will be in about 8am, and would be glad to help you with the "how to." That is if the phones work, back east.

Andy
Old 01-28-2009, 06:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Sure can.

All we need to know, since you have an Argosy, is how many windows open and their sizes.
Typically, the first window takes about an hour, and the rest about 30 minutes each.
We also offer verbal instructions as to "how to do it." Not to be confused with "howie do it."
You should also check the entrance door gasket, the access compartment gaskets, and especially the sewer vent pipe gaskets. All the gaskets can be changed in a weekend or less, as long as you have your favorite near your side. You know, that six pack.

Andy
I am not certain how much help this six-pack would be, but I wouldn't mind having it by my side when I start working on my windows... and I'm going to bet that I will see that it takes more than a weekend to complete! Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:11 PM   #9

1979 30' Argosy
North Bend , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
I am not certain how much help this six-pack would be, but I wouldn't mind having it by my side when I start working on my windows... and I'm going to bet that I will see that it takes more than a weekend to complete! Laura

OMGee .... this forum is fun !
I might need "6packs" help
~ Teri
HomeZeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
What is a ballpark figure to buy all the gaskets for a 24 foot Minuet?
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Just ordered material for windows and door of a 6.0 Minuet including the vent gaskets and adhesive. Came to about $134 shipped to me from Inland. I would guess one more window in your 24 ft. would run another $20 or so.

Tags
argosy, paint, sealing, seams, silicone