Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-29-2007, 11:53 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Normandy Park , Washington
How to replace dump valve?

I poured some water in the toilet and confirmed the dump valve is indeed not closing all the way. I'm not sure that explains why I was leaking at the belly pan below the holding tank but I obviously need to replace the valve. (see post below regarding leak)

It appears that the black tank just slips into the valve and on the ovehter side it connects to a Y where the grey tank joins in downstream to the main drainline.

How do I remove the valve? Do I unscrew the valve handle first inside the bumper and then simply "reef on" the slip fittings or is there a logical way? Seems that the grey tank line and main dump line are all pretty tight so I'm not sure how it all comes apart?

Any help or redirection to possible treads is appreciated.

Dan
Dan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 12:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Dan, here's a good thread for you:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444...ves-28812.html

Nick.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:36 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Normandy Park , Washington
....so, do I really need to cut through one of the pipes?

Dan
Dan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 01:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S
I poured some water in the toilet and confirmed the dump valve is indeed not closing all the way. I'm not sure that explains why I was leaking at the belly pan below the holding tank but I obviously need to replace the valve. (see post below regarding leak)

It appears that the black tank just slips into the valve and on the ovehter side it connects to a Y where the grey tank joins in downstream to the main drainline.

How do I remove the valve? Do I unscrew the valve handle first inside the bumper and then simply "reef on" the slip fittings or is there a logical way? Seems that the grey tank line and main dump line are all pretty tight so I'm not sure how it all comes apart?

Any help or redirection to possible treads is appreciated.

Dan
Here is a pic of the valves disassembled. I did not have to cut anything.

Check this out too

AirStream Project 2004
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0171.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	36371  
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
If the valves are rebuildable you may not have to cut anything. Just be careful taking out all the screws and separating the halves. When you put it together, don't crack the housing by crunching the screws down. If you have to replace a valve, be careful to take careful measurements and photos because you will have to get everything together pretty close to what it was or the handles won't work.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:06 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Maryville , Tennessee
Dan - I just replaced the Thetford on a 73 Safari with a Valterra valve. On the 73 the Thetford Valve was threaded into the black tank and below the valve was the Y connector for the Gray Water to drain. We had to cut the pipe that delivered the gray water and we also had to do a little cutting on the old thetford valve itself to loosen up the threads. Once it was out, assembly of the new valve and installation was pretty straight forward. If you have pics of you situation please post. Good luck.
kneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

I re-built my valves, so no disconnection of the valves from the pipes was required. My Airstream manual says that if new valves are fitted, the old ones can be removed from the pipe by levering a screwcriver in the joint, working all the way round the circumference, and about the second time round, the valve should pop off. The manual also states that, at the factory, the usual pracice is to rebuild the valves. If time is not important, I recommend fitting new valves, as the internals are often badly scored.
Nick.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:46 PM   #8
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
dan

are you certain it is the valve?

last fall i helped dave and pat rebuild their valve/drain system on their argosy 20.

it wasn't the valve but everything else that was broken due to the drain pipe hitting the pavement when going over inclines.

we reworked the tail piece so that it is more recessed, less chance of getting hit.

we shoulda took pictures!

ps, cutting a good sized hole to work through helps alot! you can always patch it later!

john
Old 04-30-2007, 04:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S
I poured some water in the toilet and confirmed the dump valve is indeed not closing all the way.
If the valve isn't closing all the way, is it because "paper debris" is lodged in the groove? If so, it can be an easy fix, clean it out gently with a bent coat hanger. Just be careful not to be too agressive that you damage the gasket/seal...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:07 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
If the valve isn't closing all the way, is it because "paper debris" is lodged in the groove? If so, it can be an easy fix, clean it out gently with a bent coat hanger.Shari
Shari, I think we're talking about the dump valves on the exit from the tanks, not the valve at the base of the toilet bowl, where your suggested fix is appropriate.
Nick.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:26 PM   #11

1973 20' Argosy 20
Vancouver , B.C.
You take the four bolts on the flange out........they're probably rusted together.... when they come out you pull the lower part down and slide the center "valve" section out. The upper section of the " Dumper" screws in to the tank so you can change it too.. its only a few bucks. Attach the septic hose to the dump drain while your working on it..........

Albert Pujols
Vancanargo20 is offline   Reply With Quote