Old 07-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Spruce Grove , Alberta
Flexible option

When I purchased my Argosy, it had little recepticles for grommets around the window. I decided to tackle two birds with one stone (getting two birds stoned at once).

I purchased, edged and placed grommets in the material (same as used on semi-truck grill covers in extreme Canadian winters), and now it both keeps the window protected, and keeps all the sunlight out.

Camping/traveling with two small kids in the north, means the sun stays out till 11.30pm, and rises way earlier than I care to be woken by kiddies. This solution allows us privacy, comfort, and a few extra hours of sleep in the mornings.

Then the other windows were too bright, so I ran bias tape around black out blind material in shape of interior window, and used a few rare earth magnets (on window covering) to attach temporarily to the screw heads that mount the window frame housing on the inside. Perfect solution as they are easily taken down and stored during the day. And the few extra zzzzz's in the morning combats the late night guitar session around the fire the previous night.
Cheers
janel.p
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7839.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	190138   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7840.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	190139  

Old 07-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #58
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
St Albert , Alberta
Where did you find the truck winterfront material?

Hey Janel - looks like we're neighbours!

I like the solution you've used for protecting the pano windows.

Please, where did you find the material?

It looks like your trailer has the twist and hold fasteners used on British sports cars - probably more secure than snaps. Were they on the trailer, or did you install them? Would appreciate if you have a source for them that you could share.

We're brand new to camp trailering/trailer camping. Are there any local groups that get together to trailer camp - sounds like a fun way to go, especially if there are other young people for our daughter to hang out with.

So many questions early on a Sunday morning!

Will
St Albert

Old 07-15-2013, 04:35 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Spruce Grove , Alberta
LOR, I will have to crawl into the dark damp cellars of my brain to remember where I got the material. Think it cost about $160, then I had a friend measure it out, and she has an industrial sewing machine so she edged it for me. she had a company once upon a time and I found a wholesaler to purchase the grommets from in a pack of 100. If you need a few, we only have about a dozen on top and sides of cover, I can pass them along to you as I have both parts. the twisty fasteners were already on the trailer, and I think they are a much smarter option than snaps, as pulling friction could pull them right off. it stays put while rolling down the highway and keeps the rain out of the front window, as I just discovered it leaks, and have to remedy that before this weekend...YIKES, another new skill to learn.

speaking of...we are heading to marwayne alberta, for the boeler-ama camp out this weekend, kinda near lloydminister. its a bunch of fiberglass enthusiasts that are almost as crazy about their trailers as us streamers (and yes, they are accepting of non-fiberglass rigs). can pass along info if you think you might make it. a pot luck, fireside entertainment (thou I might just play a kazoo if guitar is not out of shop by then), and a great opportunity to check out modifications that fit any small trailer. its so true, a sticks and staples at the gas pump will not engage you in conversation, but fiberglass and streams are a community of like minded folks who appreciate longevity, style, and function. I call the other style "sticks and staples" as I have seen a few of them rolled into the ditch and there is nothing but debris left, (same goes for motorhomes vs. prevost or MCI busses).

congrats on your trailer, hubby and I were checking it out online and it looks georgous. so nice to not have to spend two years working and not enjoying it. as long as you paid less than the asking price...its totally worth every penny, and basing those pennies on the memories you will make, it pays for itself in no time.

was at the potters guild last night (early this morning) working on some lithography (image transfer) and made some airstream projects which has a limited market, but a appreciative one. I will have a bunch of mugs and bowls for this weekends campout for raffle and sale. ooohhhhhh, my next date at the st albert farmers market, I will bring something special for you if you wanna stop by and talk shop in person. i have been told i should write a book on camping with kids, and have tons of good advice and food projects (like corn dogs and mini donuts over the fire). love to share all the info i have to enhance everyones outdoor experience.

cheers!
janel.p
Old 08-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #60
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 20
Pinehurst , North Carolina
Where do you get a rock guard and are they sized for 1976 Land Yacht?
Old 08-19-2013, 08:50 PM   #61
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Milford , New Jersey
I believe I bought mine from Inland RV. You can also try Out of Doors Mart.
They are hideously expensive. If your Land Yacht only has a center window and not a 3 piece unit, the price isn't too bad. I believe you can get the size you need. Call with the measurement of your front window on hand.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:49 AM   #62
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momoaizo View Post
Where do you get a rock guard and are they sized for 1976 Land Yacht?
The Airstream rockguard for a 1976 trailer with "wing" windows, is one piece.

It matches the contour of the shell.

Andy
Old 08-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #63
Bex
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
I got a local sign shop to tag on a sheet of 8x4 Lexan for me when they put in a product order with their supplier. Cost was about $120. I figured if a person makes a window template and cuts three pieces of Lexan to match, then they can be permanently attached to the frame with (I thought) sleeve bolts, washers and rubber grommets or washers of some type. I will be doing this soon so will post of my success (or failure).

Bex

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #64
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bex View Post
I got a local sign shop to tag on a sheet of 8x4 Lexan for me when they put in a product order with their supplier. Cost was about $120. I figured if a person makes a window template and cuts three pieces of Lexan to match, then they can be permanently attached to the frame with (I thought) sleeve bolts, washers and rubber grommets or washers of some type. I will be doing this soon so will post of my success (or failure).

Bex
What color Lexan did you use ?

Andy
Old 08-21-2013, 04:11 PM   #65
Bex
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Its clear, and I thought I would get the sign shop to put that pale yellow perforated window film on the inside so its less likely to show the scratches and will also obscure the view inside the trailer. I have it on one of my vehicles and its no real issue to look out.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:39 PM   #66
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
St Albert , Alberta
Possible Rock Guard Solution for Pano Windows

I took the NOS pano window I purchased from BEX in to a window tint company here in St Albert. He has a thin film that is very tough. It's the self adhesive kind that can later be removed with hot water. However, being a thorough craftsman, he is concerned about the gasses given off by the glass, saying all glass regardless of age does give off a gas, the amount varying with the type of glass. Too much gas could result in bubbles forming below the film. Consequently he has e-mailed the manufacturer in Germany who replied that they have referred his enquiry to their engineering department - very thorough! Of note, my guy looked at the window I brought in, noted that it was Herculite, and stated that it is aircraft spec glass - no wonder the windows are so heavy. I'll report back with my findings, as well as pricing for materials and installation. I'll let a professional do the installation - don't want to do the job myself and have it look like a home repair.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:08 PM   #67
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1971 27' Overlander
1973 31' Sovereign
Griffin , Georgia
are you still happy with your rock guard? What would you do differently?
Where did this guard come from? and how old is your argosy?
Old 06-01-2015, 09:21 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Milford , New Jersey
Still very happy with the rock guard. Nothing to do differently. It only fits on one way. I think I got ours from Inland RV. Fair price. Shipped promptly. +/- $1000.00. Tricky install but not too bad. Go slow and read Janets' post carefully. Good Luck. George
Old 06-01-2015, 10:40 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I made my own rock guard for my Avion. It could be made for an Airstream as well. The cost was approximately $200 and some of my free time. Here's the link:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...it-122061.html

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:44 PM   #70
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1971 27' Overlander
1973 31' Sovereign
Griffin , Georgia
will the one piece unit fit an Arogsy?