Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2003, 01:16 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Lightbulb How Many Amy's does it take to change a lightbulb

Silly Question, I know......but my owner manuals don't tell me and I don't want to break something.
How do I replace the lightbulb in the ouside overhead door light on my 19 ft Minuet Travel trailer?

Thank you for your understanding and responses
Amy
Old 08-01-2003, 01:27 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Amy,

It takes 1, you!

The cover is normally held on by 1, sometimes 3 screws. The screw is not visable form the ground. With a ladder you need to see the edge of the cover where it meets the skin on top. There should be a single screw there. There may be 2 more that go thru the rain gutter over the door as well. It depends on the light cover. Remove them and you can get to the bulb.

After you replace the bulb the screw on top should be put back in using a sealant so it does not leak. Parr bond is what I have used, vulcem is better, but an open tube is a hardend tube in a short time. Parr bond is available at many rv places. One tube runs about $10.00 and is re-sealable.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 01:34 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Ahhh Thank you Kind Sir

I'll have to get out my ladder and look.......

Thanks also for the tip about a sealant. Smart move t make. We want to keep "her alive" as long as possible

Smiles, Amy
Old 08-01-2003, 02:46 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
New Florence , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to mkeith54 Send a message via Yahoo to mkeith54
Amy,

To add to the other reply, I would find some silicone grease for electrical parts and coat the base of the blub. The grease prevent corrosion and aids in removing the bulb in the future. I have started using it in all the light sockets on the trailer and tow vehicle. You can get the grease at AutoZone and other parts houses, they sell it for spark plug boots in little packs.

Mike
mkeith54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 04:14 PM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Mike,

Good call on the electrical grease. I have a tube of stuff called Ox Guard. It is like 3 bucks a tube and can be bought at home depot. Since the wire manufacturers are so stingy with the silicone stuff I would bet it is pricy. BTW the Ox Guard says it is for Aluminum wiring, but it works great on all types and prevents the corrosion that ruins electrical connections
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 05:10 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
New Florence , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to mkeith54 Send a message via Yahoo to mkeith54
In a past career, I worked for an electrical splice manufacture. The R&D guy would give me tubes of silicone grease to test for him, now I have lots left over to play with. I have no idea what it would cost to buy a tube but the little packs I was talking about ran around a buck or so if I recall right. That would make one tube I have worth in excess of a couple hundred bucks, just never thought of it that way.
mkeith54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 06:18 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

.......and I always wondered why my husband needed so many tubes, bottles, cans of GOO!
Sounds like a good project for him, don't you agree?
I think we have some of that OX stuff around. Right next to the LockTite and LockEase and Brake Cleaner and assorted others.
Thanks Guys! I appreciate the advice!

Smiles, Amy
(What a super forum this is...I am learning alot!)