Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2010, 02:00 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
How do I remove the cabinet above the fridge?

Since I couldn't get the shower pan out this morning I decided to work on removing the rivets left over after the vent scoop was cut out. But I have to remove the cabinet so I can get the drill in there. I removed a few screws and rivets but it wouldn't come out. There's a pantry attached to the right side. I thought it was a pretty simple task, but apparently not. = (

I'm hoping to post a picture of it. It will be my first attempt to post a picture. I hope it works. It's an old picture of my Argosy I found on line.

Any help with the remove of the over head cabinet would be appreciated. I don't want to remove more than what is necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	argosys fridge cabinet.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	112486  
RV H-D Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The screws that hold the cabinets are usually straight forward and easy to find. Take out what is obvious and they pull against the cabinet to see where it is still attached.

A tip when drilling out the rivets. Wrap the drill bit with tape about an inch back from the tip to produce a shoulder that will stop the drill once it pops through the rivet. This will protect the outer skin from an accident.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:50 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
The screws that hold the cabinets are usually straight forward and easy to find. Take out what is obvious and they pull against the cabinet to see where it is still attached.

A tip when drilling out the rivets. Wrap the drill bit with tape about an inch back from the tip to produce a shoulder that will stop the drill once it pops through the rivet. This will protect the outer skin from an accident.
Thanks HowieE, but I removed four screws and two rivets. Those seemed obvious. Then I removed two little cap nuts. Then I got stumped.

Thanks for the tape on the drill bit trick. I'll do that!!
Old 10-05-2010, 04:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
When I removed the upper cabinets in my 74 Tradewind, there were a few screws that went through the wall & into the next cabinet. There were also screws through the wall with a decorative cap on the opposite side. I had to wiggle the cabinets every once in a while to see where they were still attached to the wall.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
How much room do you have in the cabinet to get to the rivets. I'm thinking you could get a dremmel extension or angle in there - enough to tap the rivet heads then use a scratch awl to pop the heads off.

Dremel 575 Right Angle Attachment for Rotary Tool Review Best Best buy Dremel Accessories Price

Dremel 225 01 Flex Shaft Attachment Review Best Best buy Dremel Accessories Price
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:14 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin View Post
How much room do you have in the cabinet to get to the rivets. I'm thinking you could get a dremmel extension or angle in there - enough to tap the rivet heads then use a scratch awl to pop the heads off.

Dremel 575 Right Angle Attachment for Rotary Tool Review Best Best buy Dremel Accessories Price

Dremel 225 01 Flex Shaft Attachment Review Best Best buy Dremel Accessories Price

I thought about that Ganglin but I thought we would need the room to work when we re-revet the new scoop in. So, I figured I might as well remove it now.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:08 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
White Haven , Pennsylvania
I know this thread is old. ou've probably figured it out by now, but if go to the next tambour compartment on the other side of the wall you'll find screws going thru the wall. G
Gkiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:58 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
Thanks Gkiesel, but no, I haven't gotten it out yet, but today I will look inside the adjoining cabinet. We've been busy with the bathroom, kitchen counter and cabinet, J trim, endcaps, floor, drapes, sunscreens. The refrigerator is going to be almost the last project.

Thanks again,
Sally
Old 12-08-2010, 07:52 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
Your really going to town from the sound of it. Here in NJ winter is upon us. Without an indoor work area, I get to take some time off messing with our Argosy. Good Luck. Don't get burned out. George
Old 12-09-2010, 05:08 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
Thanks George. I certainly have been enjoying the AZ mid 70's daytime temps. = ) And the lack of rain is helping since I haven't tackled all the roof isuues yet.
But looking in the upper cabinet next to the fridge cabinet didn't help. At this point I'm hoping I can rivet the fridge vent in w/o removing the rest of the cabinet. We'll see.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:42 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
I think I misunderstood your question Sally. I thought you wanted to remove the tambour cabinet up at the ceiling. In re-reading your post I think you mean the square door cabinet directly on top of the fridge. Yes? I'll look in our trailer tonight or tomorrow and see if I can figure it out. George

Never mind. Looking at your picture, you don't have a cabinet resting on top of the fridge.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:28 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
I need to remove the whole tambor cabinet above the fridge so I can rivet the vent scoop to the wall and ceiling, which goes inside the overhead cabinet. At this point I'm hoping I can do all the riveting w/o removing the whole cabinet.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:03 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
OK, went out to look at our trailer. The tambour cabinet in question has one screw on the outside, screwed into the wall near the door. From the inside of the cabinet, on the left side I see 2 L shaped aluminum brackets screwed to the wall inside the cabinet. On the left side, in the rear, the floor of the cabinet slides into a U channel attached to the outer wall. In the left front, there is 1 large L shaped aluminum bracket that mounts to the divider wall, the rivets for this bracket come in from the other side of the wall, also it appears the front of the tambour assembly may also be screwed into the divider wall. What I have found is that things like the floor of the cabinet that are held by pieces of U channel can be attached pretty securely. Wherever you see thin wood being held by U channel, there are steel clips in the channel holding the piece of wood. So it is very possible that even if you have all the obvious screws out, the clips are holding the wood floor of the cabinet. Also the order of assembly of the cabinet and the pantry may be interelated. Makes it more interesting that way. Hope some of this helps. Good Luck, George
Old 12-11-2010, 04:29 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
I think you might be right George. It's probably the clips that had me stumped. Maybe I didn't pull hard enough on the wood pieces. Thank you so much for all your effort to help me on this. Now if the guy I bought a used vent scoop from through this forum would actually ship me the vent, or refund my money, I can get on with this project. = )

Sally