Old 08-13-2009, 01:27 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Hi all! Are some models better than others?

I'm going to buy either an Argosy or an Airstream. It needs to be under 22 feet. Are some models/years better or more desirable than others? I'll be using it with my wife and two young children. Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 08-13-2009, 07:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Those of us with Minuets will tell you they are the best, most desireable, etc. It depends on what you can find and what condition it is in. I personally think 1977 on is a good year range because of the advent of gray water tanks. Find something you like in good condition and buy it.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:44 PM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Are Some Models Better???

Well to be honest....

I've always been partial to...

Victoria's Secret Models...
Attached Images

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:33 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
...okay....okay.......Kevin has a strong argument goin there!

I agree, depends on what you come across. You'll know when you see it.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
How many beds in total do you want - 2 or 3? That will probably decide the floorplan.

60s 22' "twin" Safaris and some Globetrotters (65-70ish, IIRC) could be had with two twins up front (they make a dinette by day) and a gaucho either in the middle or the back corner. (I'm partial to the unique 21' 1969-1970 Globetrotter floorplan myself, with a rear corner bed and two twins upfront.) That would give you 3 beds.

Most other sub-22' floorplans have 2 sleeping areas, including the Argosy Minuet 20' I just bought. Can't help but think that a 23' Safari or 24' Argosy with the midship twins would be good here -- but they're bigger than you want.

Also, do you want almost new or vintage? Depending on your patience to wait for just the right trailer, you might also trade off floorplan for condition or finding one nearby rather than 1000 miles away.

Tom
Old 08-14-2009, 10:59 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
Well to be honest....

I've always been partial to...

Victoria's Secret Models...
As much as i like the Victoria Secrets Models, my wife might find it a bit cramped with her on board. I like your way of thinking!
Old 08-14-2009, 11:12 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
How many beds in total do you want - 2 or 3? That will probably decide the floorplan.

60s 22' "twin" Safaris and some Globetrotters (65-70ish, IIRC) could be had with two twins up front (they make a dinette by day) and a gaucho either in the middle or the back corner. (I'm partial to the unique 21' 1969-1970 Globetrotter floorplan myself, with a rear corner bed and two twins upfront.) That would give you 3 beds.

Most other sub-22' floorplans have 2 sleeping areas, including the Argosy Minuet 20' I just bought. Can't help but think that a 23' Safari or 24' Argosy with the midship twins would be good here -- but they're bigger than you want.

Also, do you want almost new or vintage? Depending on your patience to wait for just the right trailer, you might also trade off floorplan for condition or finding one nearby rather than 1000 miles away.

Tom
The primary reason I want to keep it at 22' or less is that many State Parks have that as their maximum length in the tent camping areas. I just wonder if they actually care about an extra couple feet and if they would ever measure or ask for you to prove the length. If a couple extra feet doesn't matter than I agree that a 24' camper might be better. As far as the number of beds, three would be great as I have a 2yr old boy and a 5yr old girl. They could sleep together now but at some point they will want their own beds. I could make two beds work for a few years.

New or vintage isn't that important to me (although I'm partial to vintage or something with some history, and character). My budget is under 15k so its most important that I get something that doesn't need tons of work/improvements as my time is limited with work and family.

Thanks so very much for taking the time to respond. Your advise greatly appreciated.

Anyone else with two bits to add please do!
Old 08-14-2009, 11:16 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut20 View Post
Those of us with Minuets will tell you they are the best, most desireable, etc. It depends on what you can find and what condition it is in. I personally think 1977 on is a good year range because of the advent of gray water tanks. Find something you like in good condition and buy it.

What is it you like about your Minuet and what makes them more desirable than an Airstream? Thanks, Dan
Old 08-14-2009, 11:36 AM   #9

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansperry View Post
As much as i like the Victoria Secrets Models, my wife might find it a bit cramped with her on board. I like your way of thinking!

With your budget you should be able find something in good shape. The trend these days seems to be that shorter units are going for higher prices.

The other thing many buyers find out after owning a unit for a while is that it is not uncommon to develop the "I wish we had a couple of more feet" syndrome. In our case, we have a 25' and a 31' foot. For me the 25' is perfect for two, but cramped for us with the kids, or guests. This is a big issue when camping in the rain, or less than desireable weather.

But then again the 31' sucks too when the weather is bad.

Oh and with more room you may be able to accomodate the VS model and the Wife.

Okay...Now I'm curious. If the limit for tent camping in many State Parks is 22', then what is it for travel trailers?

Best of luck and welcome to the group,

Kevin

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Old 08-14-2009, 08:51 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Milford , New Jersey
Most important is the shape it's in, and how much work your willing to do. 76,77 were the years of highest production I believe, so there are a few more of them out there. Grey water tank is desirable. Minuet's are nice, but too narrow for me. I think there just a little more rare. When it rains all weekend, our 24 seems like 12ft. Go for condition vs. price. Good luck. George.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:21 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
I like both kevin245's and Argonaut20's responses, but of course my Airstream is better then yours.

After 3-1/2 years of traveling with a 19' Bambi it's amazing how much more living space there is in the 21' Sovereign!

In many small ways the quality of the '94 Sovereign is superior to the '99 Bambi, but obviously the layout of the unit in relationship to your needs is the most important thing.

Good luck and happy trails.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:44 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
In the vast majority of State Parks they allow trailers up to 22' to be used in the tent camp areas. Over that length you would have to use the trailer/rv sites. At least this is my understanding after reading through the State Park web site and calling thier info line to confirm. So, I'm really trying to stick to 22'
Old 08-15-2009, 09:46 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Argosy's are narrower than Airstream? if so by how much? Sounds like i should focus on post 77'. Are there any model years not to buy?
Old 08-15-2009, 04:57 PM   #14

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansperry View Post
In the vast majority of State Parks they allow trailers up to 22' to be used in the tent camp areas. Over that length you would have to use the trailer/rv sites. At least this is my understanding after reading through the State Park web site and calling thier info line to confirm. So, I'm really trying to stick to 22'
That is what I thought you were trying to accomplish based on your first post language. Is there a reason you want to TT camp in the tent area as opposed to the TT areas?

Regards,

Kevin

Eleanor Roosevelt