Old 08-15-2009, 05:40 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansperry View Post
Argosy's are narrower than Airstream? if so by how much? Sounds like i should focus on post 77'. Are there any model years not to buy?
Width depends on the year, and to some extent, the model.

The introduction of the 1969+ body style came with a few more inches of width. Most Airstreams and Argosys of that era were the same width, a bit shy of 8 feet. The Argosy Minuet was an unique line; they were narrower (a touch over 7 feet) in an attempt to save weight. I like the narrow width because it's a touch easier to tow, but it might not excel at fitting a family of four. (Well, the 24' version would be better.)

I visited the Vintage Trailer Jam today, a gathering of lots of trailers. I was really impressed by how much space you get in some of the 1960s 22' Safaris. But, of course, buying a trailer that old usually means you'll be doing a restoration, unless you can find one that was already gone through.

Years to avoid? Well, simply by the nature of what Airstream offered, you'll find little in the 1980s under 25'. Even in the early 1990s, the shortest trailer was the (very desirable) 21' Sovereign; they're rare and their typical transaction price reflects that. It wasn't until the late 1990s when shorter trailers became more available.

One more thing about years - gray tanks were standard across the board in 1975, and were supposedly a compulsory option in 1974. That might expand your range. But the capacities are a lot smaller than in newer trailers.

Tom

Old 08-15-2009, 06:16 PM   #16
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
You have already gotten some good info here, but noticed you didn't get any answer yet on why we Argosy Minuet owners feel partial to them.

We own a 22' Minuet w/side gaucho and front dinette. It is our first trailer and we have loved her from the moment we got her. Our 2 boys were still pretty young (pre teen and about 10) when she came into our lives. We had the 2 boys sleep on the dinette - plenty of room then). As they got older, they felt more inclined to want to rough it again in a tent next to the trailer. Don't know how that would work for you w/girl and boy. Boys generally want to hang out on their own. Our "Moonunit" handles like a dream (she is more lightweight than many other AS trailers as the Minuet was made during the last Big fuel scare in the 70's. One thing that makes her more lightweight is the inside is mostly laminated/vinyl clad aluminum instead of wood. She is bright and airy and has the wrap around front windows that regular AS trailers didn't necessarily get until later years. We appreciate the way she tows in the mountains as she doesn't seem to put as much stress on our Tow Vehicle up the steep passes. You can click on my Images tab in my User area here to the left if you want to see what she looks like.

I don't know about State Parks in Washington, but we haven't run into too many here in Colorado that seem to have a restriction. Altho, I may not have been paying too much attention since our trailer fits the limit.

One thing that many stress here is to get the trailer you like for your situation - go to some rallies if you can to get up close and familiar w/several styles and years before you buy. (altho we didn't). I wouldn't place the most importance on whether the trailer will go into State Parks, but whether you feel comfortable towing/manuvering a longer/shorter trailer and whether your family can be comfortable in a longer/shorter trailer. Sleeping will be when you spend most time in there - other times will be outside enjoying the area you are camping in.

Take you time, the right one will find you. Good luck.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:18 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Milford , New Jersey
Quote:
Argosy's are narrower than Airstream? if so by how much? Sounds like i should focus on post 77'. Are there any model years not to buy?
Argosy's are not narrower than airstreams. Minuets are. Our 76 has a greywater tank. Don't know the first year of greywater tanks. The airstream website now post all the specs of the various years. You may want to check it out. Good luck. George.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:23 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Why do I like the Minuet? First, let me preface by saying I have owned Airstreams including a 60's Bambi, Globetrotter, and 70's Safari (bought new). This is my first Argosy and my wife and I decided to go the Minuet route because of the light weight in the size we wanted. We also tow with a Toyota Tacoma which makes the narrower width of the Minuet an advantage. Quite frankly, Airstreams got pretty porky in the 70's, 80's, and 90's and I did not want to go the larger truck route just because of Airstream's insistence on adding 'amenities'. I also did not want the hassle of rebuilding an older AS and older AS were getting expensive if even close to decent condition. Add the lack of gray water storage in the older AS and Argosy models and the Minuet looked better and better as a choice.

After buying our Minuet, I have done several upgrades and found the vinyl clad aluminum 'furniture' easy to work with. The aluminum rot proof floor is also a plus, especially after putting laminate over it as a means of redoing the floor as well as avoiding the tendency of that type of floor to 'sag' between frame supports.

As with everything else, owners tend to tout what they own. Your feelings may vary.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:31 PM   #19
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
One other PLUS for us on our Minuet that I forgot to mention is that she is a painted AS trailer. We have had her over 5yrs now and the "regular" maintenance on the paint is a good wash and an occasional wax. I have been on this forum long enough now to have seen several Argosy trailers painted in different (and very unique colors) That is another thing I really like about them, the maintenance ease (at some point a re-paint could be necessary) and the unique way that owners have re-painted them to make them their own.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:30 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Thanks to everyone for all the great information.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:10 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Quote:
Argosy Minuet is narrow than other Airstreams. Regular Argosy is the same width. We have an Argosy 24' full bed, and love it, it is just right for the two of us. (We keep the bed made up all the time). I think if I were to camp with children, however, I would choose something with a back bedroom, not something that would put the kids trekking past the bed on the way to the bathroom. And I would choose a gaucho up front instead of the dinette, easier to make up each morning and both kids could sleep on it, at least for a few years. Or a twin, so the kids could have their own sleeping area (but you sacrifice storage for this) and you sleep on the front gaucho or dinette. There is also the bunk bed style, which might work for the kids. Having lived with two small children in a 25' Spartan for three years, I can testify that they do get a little crowded!

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

http://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote