Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-28-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Virginia
Hey Argosy Owners !

I'm rebuilding a 1979 Argosy 24' trailer. I' ve purchased a new window for the front of the trailer, which the dealer will supply with glass. Two reputable dealers both told me that plastic was never used as a window material in Airstream trailers. Can some Argosy owners tell me what year their trailers are and if the side windows of their campers are made with plastic or glass... Eventually I'd like to repalce all of the windows since the plastic is in such bad shape. New glass windows are nice but pricey. I'd like more info before I take the plunge in the future.

Thanks in advance....
gonorthwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
The side windows were plastic in some of the narrow-body Argosy models, called Minuets. I have the original plastic side windows - some of the brochures at the time mentioned them.

If your Argosy is a full-width Argosy (not a Minuet), then the side windows should indeed be glass.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:40 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
My 1974 24' Argosy....we have all real glass
Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:59 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Virginia
Narrow Body trailer...

My trailer is a 24' tandem axle trailer. It measures about 7'6" wide at the outermost part of the body. Does this mean that it's a minuet?
Old 03-28-2010, 02:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
It sounds like it is a Minuet. The floor width should be 7'0" and flare out at the beltline. (The regular-width Argosys are 7'8" in floor width.)

Take a look at this brochure sheet from the factory - it mentions "Minuet side windows which are awning-type Acrylic" on page 2.

There are other dimensions on that sheet to confirm what you have. Another way to tell - the Minuets have vinyl-clad aluminum furniture inside.

You can use plastic polish (as sold for car convertible rear windows) to polish the plastic windows. That might take out some of the haze and scratches. I got lucky - the windows in my lightly used trailer are pretty clear.

By the way, if you do have a Minuet - congrats! Well, congrats on having an Argosy anyway, but 24' Minuet 7.3Metre trailers are fairly rare.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:43 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Virginia
Thanks Tom..

Mystery solved. It appears that the trailer is indeed a 24' Minuet. Unless it messes up something, I'm going to keep my order with Inland RV and replace the fixed side window with the glass one they are ordering for me.

If you know of any way to convert the awning windows to glass, please let me know. The Acrylic is in very bad shape and the F-150 will never notice a few pounds more.

Thanks for the link showing the brochure and for your input!
Old 03-29-2010, 11:21 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Hey Argosy Owners !

Greetings gonorthwest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonorthwest View Post
Mystery solved. It appears that the trailer is indeed a 24' Minuet. Unless it messes up something, I'm going to keep my order with Inland RV and replace the fixed side window with the glass one they are ordering for me.

If you know of any way to convert the awning windows to glass, please let me know. The Acrylic is in very bad shape and the F-150 will never notice a few pounds more.

Thanks for the link showing the brochure and for your input!
The concern with replacing the acrylic side windows with glass isn't so much an issue of to vehicle capacity as avoiding compromising the gross weight rating of the coach. The 7.3 Metre Minuet has a comparatively larger gap between coach weight and gross vehicle weight rating than the two shorter versions - - there is still some concern about overloading the coach's chassis.

Good luck with your refurbishing!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:10 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas